Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?

As many of y'all are aware, I recently decided I'd like to replace my S2000 w/ something that has a closed roof for tracking purposes. I bought an '02 Z06, then started getting cold feet first about the cost of consumables, then I had issues getting some Recaros I bought to co-exist w/ the OEM seat belts. The C5Z's stock seats are truly atrocious, and as great as the rest of the package is, getting decent seats in it is a prerequisite for continued ownership.

I sold my S2000 Friday night, and have listed my C5Z w/ the intention of getting another track car that's closer to track ready. So armed w/ an extra $24K cash, I went shopping yesterday. Here's what I tested, and a mini-review of each. Comments/suggestions are welcome, as this transition hasn't been as easy as I'd hoped it would be.

2013 FR-S: like new, w/ 4K miles at my local Scion dealer. Asking price just under $23K. I really enjoy this car. Great seats, and the handling lives up to the hype at least in semi-enthuiastic street driving. The power was uninspiring, though, and I wasn't wild about the engine sound. It would be my clear favorite for a DD, but I fear I'd miss the power on the track.

2010 370Z base w/ Sport pkg.: 26K miles, owner said he'd take 23K. This car has everything I'd need in a track car. Good seats, good power, good brakes, little body roll. I wasn't wild about the engine coarseness or sound. Seems like roughly comparable performance to an E46 M3, but w/o the expensive maint., potential subframe issues, etc. - just rougher around the edges.

1999 M3 coupe w/ 108K miles. $6500. Was rougher around the edges ex. the interior which was pretty nice. Suspension needed freshening, but it still somehow felt great - light on its feet, eager to turn, and a joy to drive. This isn't the right one, but I wouldn't rule a nice one out. For under $10K, I'd get liability only insurance and save a ton on premiums.

2013 Mustang GT - last '13 leftover at Grapevine Ford. MSRP $37K, I could get about $10K off between Ford rebates, X Plan pricing, and dealer discounts. The dealer sent it home w/ me for the weekend. It's nicely equipped, w/ leather/heated seats, Sync, Shaker sound, track apps, backup sensors, etc. , but missing Recaros and the track pack. This has to be the deal of the century for a new car w/ full factory warranty! Just driving around town and on the highway, it feels shockingly close to my M3 given the difference in price. Of course, interior quality is a completely different matter, though the GT has lots of fun features like variable color lighting, track aps, fuel economy charting, etc. Unfortunately, it feels kind of big from behind the wheel, and I suspect I'd regret not getting a Boss. Kudos to Ford on the shifter feel and short throws, esp. impressive in a powerful V8.

2002 M3 w/ SGM, 88K miles. $17K. Owner took me for a ride, he won't let anyone drive it. It was my favorite of all the cars I was in last night, and my mind was made up after that (not for this particular one, I'm not about to buy a car w/o getting behind the wheel first!). Everything about it just felt sooooo right! After sleeping on it, however, I'm a little more reluctant, as maint. is relatively expensive and abundant, and there's always the prospect of subframe failure - elevated since I'm looking to track whatever I get.

After sleeping on it, I decided the 370Z would probably be preferable b/c even though it falls short in some subjective aspects (mainly NVH) vs. the M3's, it seems to have good bang for the buck as a track car.

Then I decided to take my Z06 for a spin, since I haven't done so for weeks. Whoa! Aside from the craptastic seats, it slaughtered all the other cars I tested and felt/sounded like a race car. Hmmm....I think I should try harder to rectify this seat issue before giving up on it. Tires and brake pads will be more expensive, but the fun factor is off the charts - it even makes the Mustang GT feel mellow.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always like the 370z, especially since you see a lot less of them on the road compared to when the 350z was being sold new.
I don't have any experience with the car, but seeing it accelerate on a short straight at an autocross , you can tell it has some good power....although you already have power in the z06
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<----------

LS power, modifications to be track ready, not something you see very often, timeless style, great driving feel, well sorted.

Buy it, drive it, smile.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I sold my AP1 a few years ago and im still looking for a replacement lol. Im going to hold out in case the Subaru BRZ comes out with an STi option.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

any thoughts regarding a Z4M?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude out of all those cars.. the z06 beats everything. Just take care of the seat issue and call it a day. If you're serious about tracking you're going to want better seats and you're going to get bit by the mod bug and spend a ton on mods especially trying to get some of those cars in better tracking shape. For the price, the FRS is not worth it. The lack of power is a huge turn off and coming from a corvette it's going to get boring quickly. It's not like it handles levels above the corvette either so at the end of the day you're having to pay a lot of money for nothing much other than "new". You'll get 2013 quality and a new paint job, new interior, warranty, etc. but you said you wanted a more track friendly car.

The e36s are supposed to be one of the best track cars but if you do a search on e36 vs s2000, you'll be lead to a multiple page thread on a BMW forum (!) about how the s2000 is way better. So that'd be pretty much a downgrade. And lots of maintenance to boot. I'd suggest the S before getting a e36 anyway, it handles better, it's cheaper, it's lighter and its much more reliable.
Why didn't/don't you just find a nice hardtop for an S? The S is one of the best track cars ever produced and if the top is the only thing wrong with it, you can easily remedy that with a few grand, esp if you're looking at all these other expensive cars. Any of the cars on your list you're probably going to look at adding more money into to get track ready. Upgrading things here and there.. and if you buy new you're also going to have to worry about warranty and voiding it, etc.

E46 M3 (2002) is a very good car but i wouldn't get one. It's much faster than an S in a straight line and handles great. The SMG has basically up/down shifting and you also can paddle shift and it has the refinement that BMW and luxury cars offer. I'd personally want 6 speed but maybe if you're doubling as a daily driver and you dont want to operate the clutch during heavy traffic the SMG would be useful.
Parts more expensive than the S and just a few threads down someone sold their M3 for an S (opposite move) because he said it was in the shop much more than he drove it. Not only are parts and consumable more expensive but they seem to need replacing much more often esp suspension parts. Not as reliable as a honda, and I dont know about the e46 but the e36 you basically have to replace the entire cooling system for about $1000 to even consider it reliably maintained.

Cant comment on the mustang because I know the newer ones are a beast. Normally id say mustangs arent great track cars even though they have a ton of power but maybe the newer ones have much better handling. I know the 99-04 mustangs did not have good handling. But if it does, and it's brand new this could be a good choice.

The 370z is a good option too its faster on the straight line than an S and can handle better than a stock S with a few mods.

I'd personally go with S + hardtop but because you sold the S, I would say the 2013 Mustang GT or the 370Z depending on whether you need rear seats. If not, 370z all the way. If so.. mustang is a good compromise.

EDIT: But I'd choose the vette over the mustang hah
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Easy choice, stay w the c5z! Only unique and track
Ready 370z is the nismo and good luck w the search and price of those. I'd venture to guess the cost of tracking a 370 is close to a c5 Vette. All the other cars are the list are not even in the ballpark. Ever think about buying a nice mint FRC or even base c5 and slapping on a blower?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nandska
any thoughts regarding a Z4M?
It crossed my mind, but they're hard to find, a lot more expensive than an otherwise comparable M3, and have a relatively limited aftermarket. If a decent example dropped into my lap, sure I'd consider it.

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
dude out of all those cars.. the z06 beats everything. Just take care of the seat issue and call it a day. If you're serious about tracking you're going to want better seats and you're going to get bit by the mod bug and spend a ton on mods especially trying to get some of those cars in better tracking shape. For the price, the FRS is not worth it. The lack of power is a huge turn off and coming from a corvette it's going to get boring quickly. It's not like it handles levels above the corvette either so at the end of the day you're having to pay a lot of money for nothing much other than "new". You'll get 2013 quality and a new paint job, new interior, warranty, etc. but you said you wanted a more track friendly car.

The e36s are supposed to be one of the best track cars but if you do a search on e36 vs s2000, you'll be lead to a multiple page thread on a BMW forum (!) about how the s2000 is way better. So that'd be pretty much a downgrade. And lots of maintenance to boot. I'd suggest the S before getting a e36 anyway, it handles better, it's cheaper, it's lighter and its much more reliable.
Why didn't/don't you just find a nice hardtop for an S? The S is one of the best track cars ever produced and if the top is the only thing wrong with it, you can easily remedy that with a few grand, esp if you're looking at all these other expensive cars. Any of the cars on your list you're probably going to look at adding more money into to get track ready. Upgrading things here and there.. and if you buy new you're also going to have to worry about warranty and voiding it, etc.

E46 M3 (2002) is a very good car but i wouldn't get one. It's much faster than an S in a straight line and handles great. The SMG has basically up/down shifting and you also can paddle shift and it has the refinement that BMW and luxury cars offer. I'd personally want 6 speed but maybe if you're doubling as a daily driver and you dont want to operate the clutch during heavy traffic the SMG would be useful.
Parts more expensive than the S and just a few threads down someone sold their M3 for an S (opposite move) because he said it was in the shop much more than he drove it. Not only are parts and consumable more expensive but they seem to need replacing much more often esp suspension parts. Not as reliable as a honda, and I dont know about the e46 but the e36 you basically have to replace the entire cooling system for about $1000 to even consider it reliably maintained.

Cant comment on the mustang because I know the newer ones are a beast. Normally id say mustangs arent great track cars even though they have a ton of power but maybe the newer ones have much better handling. I know the 99-04 mustangs did not have good handling. But if it does, and it's brand new this could be a good choice.

The 370z is a good option too its faster on the straight line than an S and can handle better than a stock S with a few mods.

I'd personally go with S + hardtop but because you sold the S, I would say the 2013 Mustang GT or the 370Z depending on whether you need rear seats. If not, 370z all the way. If so.. mustang is a good compromise.

EDIT: But I'd choose the vette over the mustang hah
Yeah, I know the Z06 beats everything, my decision isn't as easy as that. Re: E36 vs. S, it's not just about what's better, but I was just ready for a new experience, and I want more interior space, plus more safety w/o tearing up the S' interior to install a rollbar. I have a soft spot for BMW's due to positive experience w/ my M3 and I have two great local shops that specialize in BMW's and can provide good support. The Mustang is a nice car, but not for me unless perhaps it's a Boss. Driving the C5Z and Mustang GT back to back, it doesn't take long to pick the C5Z as the winner. The Mustang has a better shifter, though that's easily fixed on the Z06.

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Easy choice, stay w the c5z! Only unique and track
Ready 370z is the nismo and good luck w the search and price of those. I'd venture to guess the cost of tracking a 370 is close to a c5 Vette. All the other cars are the list are not even in the ballpark. Ever think about buying a nice mint FRC or even base c5 and slapping on a blower?
I'm leaning to keeping the C5Z, just have to find a seat setup that works and is reasonably comfortable. Why would I even consider downgrading to a non-Z C5? FWIW, forced induction more often than not doesn't work too well in summer heat here in TX.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Chris S, you are doing what I would be doing if I had tons of cash, job security, and a place to store my cars.
I forget your total track history so let me drum up what I can remember...
You had S2000 you did for the track, then got the NC Miata which could keep up with your S2000 due to lightweight, better brakes, and easier to drive at the limit.
After the Miata you got a C6 Vette?
Did the track mods to the C6 and then got the ZR1?
Now you got the ultimate daily driver E90 M3 which is cool (unless you wanted the stick shift and kept it off the track I'd venture for the IS-F but thats me)

You just got the C5 Z06 and dumped a 08 S2000.

So now if what I recall is correct... you are now looking for another track mobile

Not sure if you have been keeping up with Edmunds Inside Line but they have a FRS with a supercharger on it now and everytime they take it to the track they have dumped alot of money into it and still find something that needs upgraded. I think if you add all what they have done to it on top of the cost of the car they are at $35k and still haven't touched brakes other than pads.

I'm gonna be the crazy one here and recommend unicorns: what about a Mustang R back in the early 2000's?
Might be harder to find... but out of the list that you mentioned I would go with the 370Z just because its something new and who knows you might like it... but coming from the Z06 I think you might learn to appreciate and look at it from a new perspective. I think the 370Z needs cooling upgrades for track use

this could have been quikag i dont remember...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

For $24k, you could track your Z for a decade.

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard finding a replacement for my S2000?