Why Toyota doesn't sell EVs. Do you buy it? - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Toyota doesn't sell EVs. Do you buy it?

Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

Why Toyota doesn't sell EVs. Do you buy it?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:29 AM

Question Why Toyota doesn't sell EVs. Do you buy it?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26703778/toyota-why-not-selling-electric-cars/

Reading the above article, it seems like an interesting argument to make, but do you believe it?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Makes sense, and I think they recognize that the practical need for evs just isnt there yet as evident by the abysmal resale values for electric cars not named Tesla, and even those are depreciating fairly rapidly.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 PM

This has been their position for years. Not sure how c and d spun this as new.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 AM

As long as there is a glut of cheap oil around the world the EV segment won't grow very fast IMO. But let the marketing geeks at the big auto giants figure that out and blow billions of dollars as they see fit.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM

I buy it. But I always thought that just like any technology, first adopters pay a ton. My friend bought a 4k TV when they first came out for $6,000 and then two years later, when you could actually have some 4k content, they were $800. Toyota, I suppose, could have cashed in if they sold electric and were able to charge a giant premium for them, but through profit maximization calculations, felt the batteries were better used elsewhere.

I don't care for an electric car right now and I have only driven my brother's model 3, but you look at the models that have come out on the premium side, and they are all expensive. The mass market side (and I am not talking Cali complinace cars like the 500e, E-golf- or Spark EV) , with the introduction of the Bolt, Kona EV, the Niro Ev, and soon Soul Ev are showing that prices are coming down and will continue. Unless you REALLY want one to save the mother earth, I feel you are jumping the gun and they will continue to get better and cheaper quickly. The Leaf showed that even the cheap ones can get leaps better in one generation.

I also like the idea of them and could find one that interests me in the future, but while my brothers Model 3 was giddily quick when you mash the pedal, the rest of the driving experience left me cold. I like real engine noise, I like real exhaust note, I like the whir of turbos or super chargers and enjoy the mechanical nature of an internal combustion engine. The complexity fascinates me. I like to know about different engine types, and car history, and technology advancements in ICE engines over time and the ones coming in the future. It is what has made me a gear head and made me love cars from the very beginning. My brothers Model 3 seemed like a nice rolling computer, and was not for me. He could get the track dual motor Model 3 and blow the doors off my Porsche in a drag race, and I would still have a huge grin on my face from my exhaust burbles and pops, and shifting my own gears. To each their own.

Last edited by vader1; 03-12-2019 at 11:18 AM.