Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Woman gets poor mpg, sues Honda

Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow if she got money for this why dont i go ahead and get my car dyno'd and when it says less than 240 crank horsepower (i have original window sticker that claims this) sue them. apparently it doesnt matter if your car is old just say they told you something that didnt come true and you get money

I want nothing more than to move out of this country when i see cases like this. I wish i lived in the past when sueing wasnt the 'thing' to do...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude
I must have missed this. What about the part where she took the lid off a cup of (hot) coffee, put it between her legs, and proceeded to drive off down the street? That had nothing to do with her getting burned with (hot) coffee.

Further, I see a mental midget on another board I frequent wants to take action against Audi because his S5 V8 is getting 12 mpg city...and the sticker says 14.

Everyone's a winner!
I *think* she was a passenger and the car wasn't moving. But she did spill it on herself and was found partly responsible.

Are you serious about the Audi S5 owner? Too funny.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney
Originally Posted by Ludedude' timestamp='1328225668' post='21378829
I must have missed this. What about the part where she took the lid off a cup of (hot) coffee, put it between her legs, and proceeded to drive off down the street? That had nothing to do with her getting burned with (hot) coffee.
I *think* she was a passenger and the car wasn't moving. But she did spill it on herself and was found partly responsible.
Per wikipedia:
"Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her grandsons Ford Probe, and her grandson Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Liebeck placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[10] Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[11] Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[12] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her down to 83 pounds (38 kg).[13] Two years of medical treatment followed."
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact is this woman didn't give Honda the chance to deal with her issue before suing and she waited a long time to get around to doing anything at all. I hope she gets nothing least of all any bloodsucking vampire that would represent her.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
The fact is this woman didn't give Honda the chance to deal with her issue before suing and she waited a long time to get around to doing anything at all. I hope she gets nothing least of all any bloodsucking vampire that would represent her.
I swear, everything that you say on this forum is patently mistaken. READ THE GODDAMN DOCUMENT and you will see that literally everything that you just said was wrong.

1. She gave them ample notice
2. They told hr to go fly a kite
3. She did not wait a long time. She was dissatisfied with the car's MPG for quite a while and only chose to file suit when Honda altered her car (this is what the claim was really about).
4. She represented herself. No bloodsucker required.
5. According to the case law quoted, California law doesn't allow you to be represented by an attorney in small claims court, or at least in the type of claim she had.

Any other gems of wisdom you care to offer? Congratulations, you have effortlessly surpassed Silverstreak HX as the stupidest person on this forum.

Look people. You don't have to agree with the outcome but, for the love of Christ, at least know what it is that you allegedly disagree with before you open your trap.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by charliec225
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1328248597' post='21379715
But if she gets her clients better than 100 bucks and a rebate, or better still she gets them anywhere near where she got less fees (which won't be too much since it's not a class action level and she already knows what to do, so the charge can't be too bad), then she's not being hypocritical and instead becomes another avenue for "victims" to get their "justice" since alot of them would've went with the class action suit. I don't think she's against a professional making money, I think she's against a professional getting paid millions while the victims they're representing gets crumbs. I also think her motives are more at getting honda than getting paid. So hey, if she could people more money than they wouldve doing the class action route and make a few bucks doing so, all the power to her for sticking it to the man. Just my two cents.
I hope that's the case. I just think that since she's already created this website and set a precedent in small claims court for others to follow, California residents already have a good alternative route if they'reunhappy with the proposed class action settlement. They would likely not be awarded more than their expected damages, and unless she could show that the damages of other owners exceeded her damages, I'm assuming they would be awarded roughly what she was awarded, minus maybe 20%-40% for her attorney fees. If that's the case, they're getting less than they would through the small claims court process and she's just putting herself in a position to take a chunk of the compensation from each of the "victims".

I hope it is for the benefit of the owners, but considering the well defined small claims process, it just seems opportunistic and slightly hypocritical. Meh, this is why I don't buy hybrids

You're an intelligent person and I want to make sure that I am no unfairly lumping you in with the retards that have flocked to this thread, but irrespective of what her machinations are, you can't set precedent that effects another plaintiff's cause of action in Cali small claims court and it appears that she can't represent them either. Maybe she's got some other trick up her sleeve, and I by no means think that she has a heart of gold or even good intentions, but you are quite mistaken about most of what you said.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
You're an intelligent person and I want to make sure that I am no unfairly lumping you in with the retards that have flocked to this thread, but irrespective of what her machinations are, you can't set precedent that effects another plaintiff's cause of action in Cali small claims court and it appears that she can't represent them either. Maybe she's got some other trick up her sleeve, and I by no means think that she has a heart of gold or even good intentions, but you are quite mistaken about most of what you said.
When I say "precedent" I just meant she'd established a route and proven argument for others to follow, not actually a legal precedent the judge would rely on (poor choice of words on my part). I know she can't represent clients in small claims court in CA, I'm just basing my statements on the article I linked. I'm not clear if she was previously licensed in another state that allows legal representation in small claims or if she is intending to file suit outside of small claims (not sure if that's possible given the class action). She may also be offering "legal consultation" for small claims, but the article used the term litigation so I assumed she'd be representing them in court.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 AM

And, as I figured, she lost.
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,5677531.story
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

No surprise there. The first judge didn't have a clue about the EPA, their ratings and how manufacturers are required (or limited) to reporting mileage estimates.