Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would it be halfway crazy to buy this as a daily driver?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Would it be halfway crazy to buy this as a daily driver?

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4098259090.html

I'm speaking from a reliability/mileage standpoint. It's in my daily price range (sort of), and I'm NOT interested in hearing about potential theft, or how there are faster/newer cars out there... been down that road.

Assuming the CARFAX is clean, the owner has regular maintenance paperwork, and it passes my mechanic's inspection (compression and leak down test) of course. The owner did say the cam seal just started to leak oil, but that seems like a pretty routine fix. I'd be driving this for the next few years (maybe 30,000 miles), and don't want to have to replace a part every few months. I also don't want to have to open the engine for new piston rings or anything. I know it's a Honda, but quite a few of the Type R guys have replaced piston rings and/or done complete rebuilds with age.

Dilemma. Any input would help.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I think as far as reliability and mileage goes... it'll be like any other Honda and last you for a long time as long as you keep up with routine maintenance. All of the ITR guys I've known did not have issues with piston rings or needing rebuilds, so I'm not sure on that point.

I know you don't want to hear it, and I won't comment on faster cars because I feel you're like me and don't care about that, I would care about the fun to drive aspect of the car... but I do think you really need to consider theft. Yes we've all heard it before, but we've heard it before for a reason. It's BAD. If you haven't been on Honda-Tech's ITR forum, go look at the sticky thread on stolen ITR's and it might put it in perspective for you. Frankly, its the one reason I don't have one as a DD myself (not to mention I feel a car like the ITR should be a weekend toy, not an everyday car since it was a limited production and are increasingly hard to find). I wouldn't want to be worried if it's safe to park my everyday car in certain areas or places. Not to mention this one is Phoenix Yellow so you'll stand out like a sore thumb... I do love the color though.

In the end I don't blame you for wanting one... I don't think there's a Honda fan out there who doesn't. Looking at the car too it looks very clean and one that I myself would love to own. If it was going to be a weekend car for you, I wouldn't even hesitate to say go for it... but as a DD, I don't think it's a wise move. Just my $0.02... good luck with your decision
Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

It would make a horrible daily driver if for no other reason than you'll constantly have to worry about someone stealing it.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Fury. It should be just as reliable as any other Honda with normal maintenance. It's still just a car even though many put it on a pedestal. I would love to won one as well, but for me it's not worth the hassle of protecting it like a nuclear missile code.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Lol Florida has high has car theft rates. I bet that car would get stolen within 6 months
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 378 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
It would make a horrible daily driver if for no other reason than you'll constantly have to worry about someone stealing it.

+ it's yellow. (loud)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Sharp looking a stock. Sounds like a good one if you plan to keep it as is.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way I'd dd a type r is if my workplace had a window right in front of my parking spot in which i can see the car every minute and if i had a garage to store it at home. Even then, I'd still be a bit worried. Damn thieves.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy it, insure it, have fun daily driving it...

IF it gets stolen move on and find another or something else.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That car is rock solid reliable, I know cause I had one. That is a pretty good deal also of it has a clean title. That would be one hella daily though. As others have said its probably the most desirable car to steal in the US. Get low jack and a nice alarm and you should be okay.

Quick Reply: Would it be halfway crazy to buy this as a daily driver?