Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a '95 993 and it wasn't expensive to drop the engine out for stuff I was fixing when I bought the car. There are a lot of good smaller Porsche only mechanics that don't charge as much as you might think if you don't want to work on the car yourself. In fact the guy I found was able to do an oil change cheaper than I could myself. 2 oil filters and 13 quarts of synthetic oil.

I was crazy and bought that car without an inspection. And it turned out to have the normal maintenance issues that I read about. I wouldn't be so worried to buy a used modded Porsche.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase. I'd echo CosmosMpower's comments. Also, that car is too much fun to pass up whether it develops issues or not. I'd replace the lobster claw wheels but it looks great otherwise.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Definitely a sleeper.

Can you say that about a Porsche?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Please fill us in on your trip home and all that. That car is going to be a hoot to drive! Good for you!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, I'm back in town with my new (used) car. Put about 1200 miles on it slowly making our way back. In a word....WOW.

The Cayman is a very nice car. Compared to the S2000, it's roomier inside and MUCH quieter. Even with the sport shifter the Cayman has longer throws, but the box is very smooth. Clutch pedal has a stiffer feel, but is much more forgiving and than the S2000. My wife struggles to drive the s2000 smoothly, she handled the Cayman like a pro in stop n go traffic. I chalk that up to the extra torque of the 3.4L.

The brake pads have got to go. The previous owner put a full set of Pagid Orange on the car, and those have no business on a street car, even if it is only driven for weekend grins. They squeal hot, they squeal cold, they squeal in between. Absolutely horrible. New OEM pads are on the way, I'll keep these for DEs.

Now, about that torque. I have the dyno sheet for this car, and it put down 366hp and 322lb-ft at the wheels. So figure it's peaking about 460hp@6900rpm and 400lb-ft@4300rpm. At any point above 2800rpms, it's making more power than the stock motor's peak output. To say the car is fast is an understatement. It's stupid fast. 460hp and 3000lbs = 6.5 lbs per hp. That's sick. At 75mph in 6th gear, you roll into the throttle a little bit, you hear a slight whoosh from the turbo, and you get pushed back into the seat. You're in triple digits in a matter of seconds. It's so smooth and effortless, you don't even realize how fast you're going.

I did get pulled over on US 82 in Dawson, GA. Not for speeding (I'm smart enough to slow down when driving through a town). It was night, and the cop couldn't see the temporary tag I had in the back window as I drove past. Once he saw it, he apologized profusely, and told me I was driving his dream car. We chatted for a few, and cop #2 pulled in behind us. Pops out of the car all excited, and says he wants to race me. I revved the engine, and we all had a good laugh.

Only bad thing about the trip....as I was passing a semi truck on I-75, a rock kicked up that I thought hit my windshield. Found out later it put a nice chip in the hood near the base of the windshield. Guess I don't need to worry about that "first scratch" anymore.

The only buyers' remorse I'm feeling is when I think of parting with the S. I love the Cayman, but the S2000 is such a sweet little roadster. If I had more room in the garage, I'd probably keep both...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
vbb

Well, I was just about to post in here to tell you to go for it, if you can afford a $40K toy. I love the Cayman, and would not hesitate to drive a well done boosted one as long as I didn't have to depend on it for daily driving duty. Even the best aftermarket boosted cars are not quite as reliable as stock, but for a 2nd car, reliability is probably not the #1 concern.

I came very close to buying a used Cayman S when I sold my last S2K about 5 months ago. I passed because I really need 4 doors for my daily driving duties, and I didn't want to have a $45K car sit in the garage all day while I drove around a $5K beater during the week. I ended up going with a car that could satisfy my daily driving needs and my desire for performance. That said, I still would love to have a Cayman one day. Enjoy it!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you got a great car. Way to go!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Well, I'm back in town with my new (used) car. Put about 1200 miles on it slowly making our way back. In a word....WOW.

The Cayman is a very nice car. Compared to the S2000, it's roomier inside and MUCH quieter. Even with the sport shifter the Cayman has longer throws, but the box is very smooth. Clutch pedal has a stiffer feel, but is much more forgiving and than the S2000. My wife struggles to drive the s2000 smoothly, she handled the Cayman like a pro in stop n go traffic. I chalk that up to the extra torque of the 3.4L.

The brake pads have got to go. The previous owner put a full set of Pagid Orange on the car, and those have no business on a street car, even if it is only driven for weekend grins. They squeal hot, they squeal cold, they squeal in between. Absolutely horrible. New OEM pads are on the way, I'll keep these for DEs.

Now, about that torque. I have the dyno sheet for this car, and it put down 366hp and 322lb-ft at the wheels. So figure it's peaking about 460hp@6900rpm and 400lb-ft@4300rpm. At any point above 2800rpms, it's making more power than the stock motor's peak output. To say the car is fast is an understatement. It's stupid fast. 460hp and 3000lbs = 6.5 lbs per hp. That's sick. At 75mph in 6th gear, you roll into the throttle a little bit, you hear a slight whoosh from the turbo, and you get pushed back into the seat. You're in triple digits in a matter of seconds. It's so smooth and effortless, you don't even realize how fast you're going.

I did get pulled over on US 82 in Dawson, GA. Not for speeding (I'm smart enough to slow down when driving through a town). It was night, and the cop couldn't see the temporary tag I had in the back window as I drove past. Once he saw it, he apologized profusely, and told me I was driving his dream car. We chatted for a few, and cop #2 pulled in behind us. Pops out of the car all excited, and says he wants to race me. I revved the engine, and we all had a good laugh.

Only bad thing about the trip....as I was passing a semi truck on I-75, a rock kicked up that I thought hit my windshield. Found out later it put a nice chip in the hood near the base of the windshield. Guess I don't need to worry about that "first scratch" anymore.

The only buyers' remorse I'm feeling is when I think of parting with the S. I love the Cayman, but the S2000 is such a sweet little roadster. If I had more room in the garage, I'd probably keep both...
damn that sounds like fun. congrats!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig

Nice pickup, I told you the Cayman was a notch above the S2000. We drove ours 400 miles round trip last week to Austin for the F1 race and it didn't break a sweat. Congrats again!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Nice pickup, I told you the Cayman was a notch above the S2000.
BREAKING NEWS: INTERNET SOURCE CONFIRMS SUSPICIONS- $60,000 CAR IS BETTER THAN $30,000 CAR!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?