Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a big risk because if anything mechanical goes wrong with the engine or turbo in that car, you have to drop the drivetrain out of the car to work on it.

Andrew
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a backup car and the means to buy something like this, I'd be all over it. I agree with the Cayman chassis and artificially limited power.

Also regarding the IMS issue, I don't know a whole lot about it but I do know that you can buy an aftermarket replacement part and have it installed for around $2k that completely cures the problem. If it were me I'd try to get the car down 2-4k on asking price and spend the 2 on the IMS fix for peace of mind, then enjoy one hell of a ride.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

The IMS bearing can't be removed from the Cayman S without engine disassembly. The outer diameter of the bearing is larger than the opening at the back of the case. Dropping the engine out of the car and disassmbling it will cost a hell of a lot more than $2k. Only the older Porsches had the smaller bearing that could be removed without dropping the engine or opening it up.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a German car. ALL German cars are reliable because they'll never go bad. And its boosted?! My friend I believe you have stumbled upon the holy grail of German reliability! And For $40k that's a steal! Think about how easy it would be to work on! And how little it would cost to maintain! Dude, cmon! This is as good as it gets. It's boosted for god sake!

Jkbtw
Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I would say no, and if you can not keep yourself away $35k tops.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, and 911 > Cayman anyways.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, TPC is a good company with actual racing experience and they have developed a reliable setup that costs a pretty penny new. We're not talking about some ricer base Greddy kit on a S2000 here.

The IMS issue is pretty rare on Cayman S's, people are still determining if it's even an actual issue with that motor. Hard to beat the bang for the buck for low 40's as far as an overall package of handling, looks, interior, power. The cost over a stock Cayman S is very reasonable when you factor in the price of the kit, extras and all the labor to get it turnkey. I would jump on it if the car is well maintained and issue free.

It sounds like you've done your homework and have a lot of the facts already. I would get more info on rennlist or planet 9, not a S2000 board where half the people have never driven a Cayman much less owned one.

http://www.planet-9.com/tpc-turbo-ki...turbo-kit.html
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dv55xc
It's a German car. ALL German cars are reliable because they'll never go bad. And its boosted?! My friend I believe you have stumbled upon the holy grail of German reliability! And For $40k that's a steal! Think about how easy it would be to work on! And how little it would cost to maintain! Dude, cmon! This is as good as it gets. It's boosted for god sake!

Jkbtw

Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123
Originally Posted by dv55xc' timestamp='1352877312' post='22149835

/>

Jkbtw

/>/>
Lol
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dv55xc

Jkbtw
Well we all know who loves german cars now!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?