Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What would you do in my case...
2005 AP2
40.00%
93-95 FD3S RHD/low miles
60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Would you trade AP2 for FD3S if.......

Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F20AP1
Originally Posted by shyong' timestamp='1353432049' post='22162168
[quote name='F20AP1' timestamp='1353431209' post='22162130']
[quote name='shyong' timestamp='1353430604' post='22162108']
[quote name='Saki GT' timestamp='1353429070' post='22162050']
[quote name='shyong' timestamp='1353426389' post='22161962']
[quote name='F20AP1' timestamp='1353425822' post='22161941']
Key note: rx-7's = junk in the U.S because of stupid crappy/lazy owners and mechanics who care about turn around time and a quick buck rather than quality work...
Actually, I was talking about other things too, not just the powertrain. Interior build, paint, etc. 90s Mazda's weren't up to average build quality back in the day. We owned two Mazadas from brand new which were disposable cars. RX-7s weren't much different when I was looking for one in the late 90s. At the time those FDs I were looking at were less than 6-7 years old but looked like they were easily 15 year old cars. Even with disregarding the 'reliable' powertrain, the overall build wasn't up to snuff of other cars during that same time. Especially not at the premium Mazda was asking for the RX-7.
What are you comparing Mazda to? Bentley? All the Japanese carmakers were above average in the 90s - the standard was Ford/GM and that's why Japanese car companies did so well. Your average Mazda was no Honda/Toyota for reliability but it was about the same in materials and quality of parts. If Honda is known for one thing, its bad paint jobs.
[/quote]

Come on, Moderator. It's asinine to insinuate I was talking about a Bentley. "All the Japanese carmakers were above average in the 90s". Assume much? I can think of two Japanese companies right off the bat that matched Ford/GM quality. Mitsubishi and Mazda. Did you own a Mazda during the 90s? We did. A 92 Mazda 929 and 93 Mazda MX-3 both of which were purchased brand new.

During the same decade we also owned a 1995 Toyota 4Runner, 1997 Honda Accord SE, and a 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH. All of which had better material and build quality than the Mazdas. Both the Honda's had no problems with paint. I didn't know EVERYONE knew how Honda had bad paint. />/>/>/>/>/>/>/>
[/quote]

actually that's funny that this is brought up! My 1995 HONDA civic had completely no clear coat and and blotched paint on the entire passenger side and roof, my S2000 with 45k miles 2nd owner had faded clear coat on the trunk and 3/4 panel. My mazda rx-7 which i had 4 2 years... had beautiful black paint like new factory condition, the interior was flawless and the materials were definitely NOT cheap. I still think till this day that was and still will remain the best car I have ever driven. Every time i looked at it or even see a picture of one I'm simply reminded of how awesome every aspect of that car really is!

oh... and if it was really that cheap (like your stating) they would never even be close to fetching 15k for a 1994 here in the U.S with over 100k on the odo... food for thought... supply and demand... It wouldn't be sought after if it was cheap right?
[/quote]

1995 Honda Civic? Purchased brand new? How many miles? When did you own it (years)? Hey, anything's possible with neglect and selection. Maybe you had gotten a bad batch, who knows?

I've had two S2000s (3 if you include my fiance's). 2001 AP1 and 2004 AP2 (fiance's 2003 AP1) both of which have zero paint problems. The 2003 has double the mileage of yours w/ zero issues.

No idea how you consider the interior "flawless and the materials were definitely NOT cheap". Yeah, compared to a Civic, sure. But isn't it funny how every single one I shopped for in the late 90s had peanut brittle door trim. The door trim was coming apart, not to mention the condition of center consoles looking horrendous with low miles.

$15K? rofl. You mean the ones with dual mileage? For example, 100k miles on body/ 25K miles on 'new' motor? Yeah, you can keep it.
[/quote]

I think you need to familiarize yourself with a japanese spec rx-7 and stop comparing them to the early model U.S spec one's if you have no knowledge go ahead and step out of this conversation... just so you know... every early model car has problems... Including our PRECIOUS S2000's! remember the oil banjo bolt issue on early ap1's? how bout the valve cover issue? The seizing contol arm bushings? the rusty input shaft splines for tranny? the holes in the soft top caused by rubbing the frame? Oh what about the AP1 valve retainers, oh wait! what about the un-torqued to proper spec rear axle nuts.............................................. ........................ I will gladly take a insignificant crappy door trim over these issues caused from my S2000... wouldn't you? I had a 97 rx-7 with the newer ecu upgraded ABS and guess what!?!?!? no interior problems! Oh thank god for japanese rx-7's right? re-think your statement...

EDIT: oh and I forgot about our crappy OEM timing chain tensor issues... another one to add to your oh-so reliable s2000 list...
[/quote]

Funny. I have experienced zero of those problems on my 02 with 117k miles. My trunk definitely needs a respray though and my top was torn so i gutted it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shyong
Originally Posted by F20AP1' timestamp='1353431209' post='22162130
[quote name='shyong' timestamp='1353430604' post='22162108']
[quote name='Saki GT' timestamp='1353429070' post='22162050']
[quote name='shyong' timestamp='1353426389' post='22161962']
[quote name='F20AP1' timestamp='1353425822' post='22161941']
Key note: rx-7's = junk in the U.S because of stupid crappy/lazy owners and mechanics who care about turn around time and a quick buck rather than quality work...
Actually, I was talking about other things too, not just the powertrain. Interior build, paint, etc. 90s Mazda's weren't up to average build quality back in the day. We owned two Mazadas from brand new which were disposable cars. RX-7s weren't much different when I was looking for one in the late 90s. At the time those FDs I were looking at were less than 6-7 years old but looked like they were easily 15 year old cars. Even with disregarding the 'reliable' powertrain, the overall build wasn't up to snuff of other cars during that same time. Especially not at the premium Mazda was asking for the RX-7.
What are you comparing Mazda to? Bentley? All the Japanese carmakers were above average in the 90s - the standard was Ford/GM and that's why Japanese car companies did so well. Your average Mazda was no Honda/Toyota for reliability but it was about the same in materials and quality of parts. If Honda is known for one thing, its bad paint jobs.
[/quote]

Come on, Moderator. It's asinine to insinuate I was talking about a Bentley. "All the Japanese carmakers were above average in the 90s". Assume much? I can think of two Japanese companies right off the bat that matched Ford/GM quality. Mitsubishi and Mazda. Did you own a Mazda during the 90s? We did. A 92 Mazda 929 and 93 Mazda MX-3 both of which were purchased brand new.

During the same decade we also owned a 1995 Toyota 4Runner, 1997 Honda Accord SE, and a 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH. All of which had better material and build quality than the Mazdas. Both the Honda's had no problems with paint. I didn't know EVERYONE knew how Honda had bad paint. />/>/>/>
[/quote]

actually that's funny that this is brought up! My 1995 HONDA civic had completely no clear coat and and blotched paint on the entire passenger side and roof, my S2000 with 45k miles 2nd owner had faded clear coat on the trunk and 3/4 panel. My mazda rx-7 which i had 4 2 years... had beautiful black paint like new factory condition, the interior was flawless and the materials were definitely NOT cheap. I still think till this day that was and still will remain the best car I have ever driven. Every time i looked at it or even see a picture of one I'm simply reminded of how awesome every aspect of that car really is!

oh... and if it was really that cheap (like your stating) they would never even be close to fetching 15k for a 1994 here in the U.S with over 100k on the odo... food for thought... supply and demand... It wouldn't be sought after if it was cheap right?
[/quote]

1995 Honda Civic? Purchased brand new? How many miles? When did you own it (years)? Hey, anything's possible with neglect and selection. Maybe you had gotten a bad batch, who knows?

I've had two S2000s (3 if you include my fiance's). 2001 AP1 and 2004 AP2 (fiance's 2003 AP1) both of which have zero paint problems. The 2003 has double the mileage of yours w/ zero issues.

No idea how you consider the interior "flawless and the materials were definitely NOT cheap". Yeah, compared to a Civic, sure. But isn't it funny how every single one I shopped for in the late 90s had peanut brittle door trim. The door trim was coming apart, not to mention the condition of center consoles looking horrendous with low miles.

$15K? rofl. You mean the ones with dual mileage? For example, 100k miles on body/ 25K miles on 'new' motor? Yeah, you can keep it.
[/quote]

This is a good point. "Hey, anything's possible with neglect and selection." Maybe your Mazdas weren't taken care of. I have a 1993 FD in AMAZING condition because both the original owner and my self have taken care of it. And he isn't wrong about 15k for 100k on the odometer. I'll go take pictures of Mazda's horrible build quality in a minute.... be right back
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM

^This image shows the only 2 issues. First, the mirror is starting to become non-reflective around the edges, second, there's a real ugly dude who drives it

Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM

In your shoes - absolutely! If the 99+ can be imported its an absolute no brainer!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
In your shoes - absolutely! If the 99+ can be imported its an absolute no brainer!!!
I wish!! If there were the late model years I wouldn't think twice. Spirit R Type (B)ackseat.

The late years could only be imported on the show/collector car waiver that is difficult to get, and you are limited to a certain amount monthly miles.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
Id double check and read the fine print in the laws reguarding importing the FD. Unless youre talking about Canada, I do not believe it is technically legal to bring the cars to the US. Back on topic, buy the FD />/>
Mazda
RX-7
1988-1995
279 - VSP
NHTSA-1998-4578
NHTSA-1999-5863

"VSP" eligibility numbers are assigned to vehicles that are decided to be eligible under 49 U.S.C. § 30141(a)(1)(A), based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists.

One of my neighbors had a white JDM RHD 95, but it burned down. It was road legal and registered. The above docket numbers are for 1988-1995 RX-7s
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I voted RX-7. You have the relatively unique opportunity to do something many of us in the states dream about. Don't choke, just because you have the opportunity to go through with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I prefer the S2000. It might not be as fast but it is way more fun to drive in my opinion. And nothing beats the top down. I'd keep the AP2 and pick up a cheap 4 seater eco-car to meet your growing family needs.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Opportunities for your dream car don't come around too often, do it.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 AM

i say go for it too. many many people dreamed of owning that car. that's like a piece of 90s history. it is scary to own one, since one of my buddy had one and also burned down within 1 year of owning it but that dude don't know jack about cars and didn't really maintain it.

Quick Reply: Would you trade AP2 for FD3S if.......