Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Wrangler unlimited as a daily?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Wrangler unlimited as a daily?

So I am thinking about trading in my 2016 Denali Duramax on a 2015 Rubicon unlimited manual which is lifted with nice wheels and tires. I test drove the jeep and over all it drove nice but not as nice as the Denali and certainly not the power it has. Does any one drive these things daily? How is it just cruising around town and possibly on interstate once in a while. How is long term reliability with the lift and how stout is the motor if I wanted to supercharge it for more umph. I just picked up a 98 TJ as a plow jeep for my business and I was just smitten on how it drove which is why I am looking at the unlimited. Is it worth getting new over the used with 18k miles and then add my touches to it. The main reason for the switch is I maybe able to save $30k in liability if I trade which is good chunk of change. Thanks again
Old 01-19-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Never owned one, two friends have them. Neither has mentioned any problems that I know of. I don't know if they changed anything but earlier models seems to have a crappy ride on the freeway. Kind of bouncy. The hold resale very well. Pretty plain interior. One is putting a lift on his but has not done it yet.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree the interstate driving was not the best. It swayed a bit but at the moment I do basically 0 interstate driving just all town. Plus I live in the black hills there has to be some good trails here. I also agree interior is bare bones which is what my wife will hate but she does have are srt so she shouldn't be complaining lol. I figure it maybe a fun family intown car, certainly easier to park and such than my 3/4 ton. But I will loose my utility unless I can use my trailer.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

We (my wife) had a '13 Wrangler Sahara with the hardtop. Great vehicle, no issues for the 3 years we had it. Only downsides are road noise and it blows around a bit when it's windy. The V6 is a good engine and had decent power, no complaints. Did very well in the snow.

We used ours for camping trips as well towing a light trailer (ours had the max tow pkg) and never had issues. I miss it every once in a while.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

No interest in going down to the Canyon/Colorado diesel to downsize?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Any seriously off road capable is going to be high clearance with long travel suspension. This is not optimum for long distance highway travel because it results in wandering and bouncing which causes more driver fatigue. We notice this in our FJ Cruiser. The Wrangler is even more off road focused in design and a little bit noisier.

Jeep is definitely doable as a DD ( we DD'd a CJ3 in the 70's but we were younger and tougher then) if one understands the limitations.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I daily my 2015 Wrangler Sahara. It's manual, has the HD suspension and higher diff ratio, and its usable even for long trips. I plan on driving across country in it next year. It's not a Mercedes. I need it to get to be able to get to my house reliably when it snows in case the plow doesn't show or shows late. (My house is above a steep 3 banked driveway.) My Audi could not reach even the first bank in a dusting of snow even with good all seasons and AWD.

The Rubicon will be a bit more squirrely on the road due to the tires and may have more road noise. It's up to you what you can tolerate. Thinking back, I should have probably just bought a truck, but I'm happy with the Jeep overall.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

My dad currently owns a Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock edition (or whatever the top of the line stupidly overpriced one is), I've driven it a couple times...never again. Terrible on-road dynamics (in my opinion) + uncomfortable + interior that would make a Mirage blush + 16 MPG on a great day...for 35-50k? NAH.

Unless you're going to off road it regularly, I don't understand Wrangler ownership, at any cost.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I would wait for the JL to go on sale this year. Thats what I am waiting for. Worst case you don't like it and you get a JK, it should push the prices down a little
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
My dad currently owns a Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock edition (or whatever the top of the line stupidly overpriced one is), I've driven it a couple times...never again. Terrible on-road dynamics (in my opinion) + uncomfortable + interior that would make a Mirage blush + 16 MPG on a great day...for 35-50k? NAH.

Unless you're going to off road it regularly, I don't understand Wrangler ownership, at any cost.
this 100000%.

Quick Reply: Wrangler unlimited as a daily?