Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Wrangler unlimited as a daily?

Old 01-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

ya I know the dynamics aren't the best (thats why I have a s2000) but something about a lifted jeep with nice wheel and tire I just can't shake the appeal. Would be fun to tackle some of these 6ft snow drifts lol. As far as the JL I havn't heard too much about them as of yet. Honestly I just have my eye on this used one in town. Another option is just to lift and put more aggressive tires on my 98 wrangler and just putt around with it.If my winters weren't so damn long I would have gotten a M3 long ago.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
ya I know the dynamics aren't the best (thats why I have a s2000) but something about a lifted jeep with nice wheel and tire I just can't shake the appeal. Would be fun to tackle some of these 6ft snow drifts lol. As far as the JL I havn't heard too much about them as of yet. Honestly I just have my eye on this used one in town. Another option is just to lift and put more aggressive tires on my 98 wrangler and just putt around with it.If my winters weren't so damn long I would have gotten a M3 long ago.
What you want is what you want, but if you are going to have to drive it a lot, there are better, more comfortable, but still offroad capable jeeps that do slightly better on gas and won't wear on you on a daily basis.

I get the appeal too, but after using my s2000 in cold weather as a daily driver while I waited for my new daily I ordered to arrive seemed like an eternity. There is just so much loud noise and bang bang of the suspension you can take before you just want to ride in peace and be comfortable. A lightly used Grand Cherokee would be much better in that regard. I had my first ride in the Wrangler Unlimited on a ten degree day and thought "HELLS NO!" to owning one. Frozen roads and frozen suspension and the thing just sucked hard. The ride was awful and if that is going to be your winter daily, put lots of thought into that. Grand Cherokees can go off road and be lifted if you want, but are wayyyyyyyyy better to daily.

Last edited by vader1; 01-19-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 PM

I agree I may look into it further maybe take an extended test drive. As far as the GC, we already have one so didn't want another one.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
What you want is what you want, but if you are going to have to drive it a lot, there are better, more comfortable, but still offroad capable jeeps that do slightly better on gas and won't wear on you on a daily basis.

I get the appeal too, but after using my s2000 in cold weather as a daily driver while I waited for my new daily I ordered to arrive seemed like an eternity. There is just so much loud noise and bang bang of the suspension you can take before you just want to ride in peace and be comfortable. A lightly used Grand Cherokee would be much better in that regard. I had my first ride in the Wrangler Unlimited on a ten degree day and thought "HELLS NO!" to owning one. Frozen roads and frozen suspension and the thing just sucked hard. The ride was awful and if that is going to be your winter daily, put lots of thought into that. Grand Cherokees can go off road and be lifted if you want, but are wayyyyyyyyy better to daily.
Good points. I'd rather go 3.6L Outback. New wheels (black), maybe a slight lift. Guys on the outback forum, with wheels and a slight lift, turn them from soccer mom to Mad Max death mobiles quick. Seen so many made to look good.

https://lpaventure.com/blogs/project...tback-lift-kit
Old 01-19-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to let you in a secret, if you like it buy it. It's reliable, I cant stand them, but that doesn't mean you should get one.

-would be a neat car to own for a bit though
Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Jeeps are cool, but trading in a Denali Duramax.... those are sweet, sweet trucks...

If you really like the Jeep though and will save a lot of coin and would like to do that, then go for it.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:10 AM

Oh don't get me wrong I like the Denali but honestly it wasn't my first pick for a truck but at the time I needed to get one asap and the deal was too good to pass up. I am betting my trade value will be more than what I paid for it. But with that being said I would much rather be paying on a note that's half the cost plus I'm sure I won't keep the jeep much more than a few years. My first pick for everyday 4x4 is still a New raptor but people are still paying way too much for them at the moment.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

I'd rather daily an Amish buggy than a Wrangler.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Good points. I'd rather go 3.6L Outback. New wheels (black), maybe a slight lift. Guys on the outback forum, with wheels and a slight lift, turn them from soccer mom to Mad Max death mobiles quick. Seen so many made to look good.

https://lpaventure.com/blogs/project...tback-lift-kit
Those do look pretty cool I must say.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Does your daily drive include highway time? Would you DD with the doors and roof off?

Its a Jeep, it will be a Jeep - I can think of worse things to DD.

Quick Reply: Wrangler unlimited as a daily?