Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Your Footprint on Earth?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your Footprint on Earth?

Just curious how people feel about the impact we're making on the planet.I love fast cars always, have but it seems I have found myself wanting to be part of the solution to the energy problem lately .I now re-cycle as much as possible and I am concerned about how much gas and electric I waste.I do believe if everyone cared it could make a difference. I try to keep my fast cars down to no less than 20mpg which I have accomplished with both my s2000 and my 335i and have limited my joyriding. I saw a show on the Discovery Channel which really made me think , maybe you've seen it, it's called "We were Warned". We are using fuel at an alarming rate and gas prices are hurting a lot of commuters yet the hp keeps going up an the cost is usually MPG sometimes big-time ( Mercedes V8 AMG's,BMW M5's and 6's,ZO6's,Porsche 997 Turbo's even big trucks and suv's). I really do not wish to buy any car that gets 12-15 mpg no matter how fast it is.
So how deep a footprint do you want to leave behind and do you think it really even matters?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, because no matter what we do here, China will still dump what is it 3 billion metric tons of crap into the air every year? BTW, it puts them at a huge economic advantage to not give a rats arss about the enviro.

Im still considering buying a Prius. I think they are ugly but I might as well do my part.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I burn gas as fast as I can. The quicker it runs out, the quicker we can move onto alternative energy sources.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,May 23 2007, 05:27 AM] I burn gas as fast as I can.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Aside from my s2000, I do everything a responsible person should be doing (turning off unneeded light bulbs, recycling, etc)
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,May 22 2007, 08:55 PM
Aside from my s2000, I do everything a responsible person should be doing (turning off unneeded light bulbs, recycling, etc)
Personally I believe that we are having a lasting impression on our enviroment and try to do my best to conserve what I can. Nothing ticks me off more then driving in the Smokey Mnt parks and some asshat has a F350 with no cats and a straight pipe bletching black smoke like an old coal burning train.

I will agree though, that until current energy sources are exhausted not much is going to change unless it puts enormous economical pressure on the public.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,May 22 2007, 05:12 PM
No, because no matter what we do here, China will still dump what is it 3 billion metric tons of crap into the air every year? BTW, it puts them at a huge economic advantage to not give a rats arss about the enviro.

Im still considering buying a Prius. I think they are ugly but I might as well do my part.
According to the Koshland Museum, the USA pollutes the most out of every country in the world, not China. They even predicted that the US will still be polluting more than anyone else even after another 10 years

http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/

I dont know if you can access that info there but I just recently went there to visit their exibits and was alarmed that the US polluted so much.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Even though I'm somewhat skeptical of alarmist Global Warming paranoia being fueled by the media, I agree the US and people like me could do much better job concerning pollution and lessening our environmental impact.

But the bottom line is that unless gasoline reaches $10 a gallon, it probably will not have much impact on my driving habits... I drive my S2K or SUV - 50 miles each way to work, and since I like my job and my cars, this probably isn't going to change very soon.

Clickie --> China to Pass U.S. in Emissions
Old 05-22-2007, 09:51 PM

what sad is that alot of the damage has already been done. the generations before us left us that little gift. and as was mentioned, China, being half the earths population will continue to do whatever they want to.

sadly we've(mankind) have ruined one of our greatest gifts. the earth.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,May 22 2007, 09:51 PM
sadly we've(mankind) have ruined one of our greatest gifts. the earth.
relax....we could always just move to Mars.

Quick Reply: Your Footprint on Earth?