Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Your opinion: Sell ND Miata and get S2K?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by poomunj
So everyone I sort of made the wrong choice. Bought the s2k for 18.5 but instantly regretted it. A tough life lesson to learn.

Have instantly put put it back up to sell and so far have gotten zero interest.
why do you regret it?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not regret per sayy, I’ve been driving both now trying to decide which one to keep.

The s2000 is so special but it’s kind of like comparing vodka to beer. Both will get you drunk but only one you want to drink most of the time and the other when you really wanna have some fun.

The Miata is kind of like a happy puppy. It wants you to flick it around and play with it and it just smiles back.

The s2000 is more like a Rottweiler, it is powerful, it has some real balls. It bites back. It makes you feel alive but it also wears on you.

anyway I’m gunna drive both back to back this week especially paying attention to commuting.

On the plus side I get many more compliments on the s2000 around town. But at the end of the day the only opinion that should matter is mine.
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (06-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by poomunj
...but is a car that is 13 years old really still worth 19k?
Of course a 13 year old car can be worth 19K. All depends on condition of course. From a purely economic point of view, my opinion is that a good condition unmolested S2k is the better car, by far. Whether you enjoy the car is a completely different issue and yes, you are correct, only you can say. You own both cars. No one can tell you more than you already know. They are both really nice cars. These are the kinds of tough choices many people would love to have.

I sort of see the s2k as sitting right in the middle between a motorcycle and a car. Driving it is somewhat of an athletic experience. You get done with the drive and you know you have done something. Not sure where the Miata fits in that spectrum. I pretty much daily drive my s2k during good weather and I love it. It makes my daily commute something that I actually look forward to. Of course, my commute is 95% gorgeous winding country roads. But, I do have to pay attention to what I am doing when I drive the thing, not unlike driving a motorcycle, only not quite as intense.

Last edited by rpg51; 04-17-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:29 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Don't base your opinions so quickly. It takes time to adapt to a new car. Your body is used to the ND and expects everything to be that way. Drive the S2K for a while and you're going to feel the same when jumping into the ND.

I almost bought an ND a couple months ago to replace my S. I'm glad I decided to take the weekend to decide because as soon as I got back into my car I realized it's just not as special. However, if I didn't own my S2000, I would drive after work to pickup a ND.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I suppose I will be the odd ball here, but I really like the ND. I owned an S2000 for a dozen years, had fun with it, but if I had my choice right now of a new ND or a used well cared for S2000, I'd take the ND. I am holding out right now to see how the 2019 model with the HP drives before maybe picking one up next year.

There are a lot of different factors and the S2000 is probably a better all around performer, though it is not an enormous margin. I just like the styling of the ND better, a more modern interior, and a few other things make it a better package for me now.

I say that but I have about three different plans for car combinations and can't quite settle into one yet.

Last edited by vader1; 04-17-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

OP, I know what you're getting at. The s2000 driving around town is a dog, not playful, just lethargic. Cars like the 86s and miatas do mundane tasks better, and their performance envelope is easier to reach. And when you're doing mundane things, having things like android car play etc really makes the experience that much better.
But when you are able to keep it in vtec and really drive it, few cars compare to the s2000, and I cant think of any for the money. Couple that with a strong resale etc and it's an attractive package.
But coming from another roadster, the leap won't be as dramatic, so I get where you're coming from. I still on occasion catch myself looking at ND RFs.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

My personal experience has the S2000 (or any roadster) as a hobby/fun car. I don't depend on it to drive every day, that's what sedans and coupes are for with weather protection, decent sound system and more than just two seats. I really prefer SUVs as daily drivers. Superior vision of the road for starters. The Miatas are still too "girly" for me -- heck even the name is girly.

-- Chuck
Old 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn sorry to hear that OP. The ND is extremely fun in the corners (IMO marginally more than than the S2K in the twisties) but to me the S2K is a much more complete car - the power and VTEC make it more than just a roided up go-cart; it's fun everywhere. The ND in a straightline is just not inspiring to me at all.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I've test driven the ND and I liked it. The engine at lower revs is smoother and the narrower rear tires means you don't have to work so hard to make the back move around. I think the suspension was softer so it's more livable as a daily driver.

I have a Billman TCT and Fluidampr now which felt like they made the engine smoother and more bearable when just driving around town.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove the s2000 today. One part of me sort of made me think maybe I could live with it. The s2000 is serious and well built. Everything is solid and deliberate. It’s heavy though, I took my girlfriend around town and she noted how it made the Miata feel like a leaf in the wind in comparison. Everything has a clunk to it even going over simple bumps.

I do do get more looks in it than in the Miata. Old guys love to stop and talk.

ill have ave to drive the s tommorrow again to get more impression. I’d say the redline is amazing, the clutch is definitely less easy to modulate than the Miata though but my foot is getting used to it. Later I’ll go ahead and try the Miata out to see how I feel about it too after that.

What a dilema lol, what a first world problem to have hahaha!

I guess things could be worse.

Quick Reply: Your opinion: Sell ND Miata and get S2K?