Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which?
ZL1
18.75%
'17+ GT350 (non r)
62.50%
C7 Z51
15.63%
SRT 392/Hellcat Charger/Challenger
3.13%
CTR + Niceish SUV
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

ZL1 vs '17 GT350 vs C7 Z51 vs SRT/Hellcat vs CTR + SUV

Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question ZL1 vs '17 GT350 vs C7 Z51 vs SRT/Hellcat vs CTR + SUV

I've been cross-shopping and researching all of these for a while now. One of them will be a replacement for the 997.2s. Allow me to explain my rationalization for each option. I have months to decide this, and it's still a tough decision. Also, if a Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora ever pops up for sale near me, I would pick that up in a heartbeat over any of the above options - however, that is extremely unlikely to happen since they never seem to be for sale near me, and I'd rather not buy out of state.

In this price range they all have decent sounding and active exhausts (requirement), cooled seats (requirement), and decent suspension (requirement) with various sport mode settings (requirement).

ZL1:
650hp supercharged, decent interior. Looks are decent, pretty sharp looking Camaro. 1LE would be out of my price range (new), perhaps a used would be possible but I doubt one will pop up for sale anytime soon. I've had a CTS-V in the past, and the supercharge whine is addicting. In all the reviews I've seen, it doesn't seem as engaging to drive as the gt350. A bit hefty at 3800 lbs. Would likely try any aftermarket intake that increases supercharger noise, which would give me paranoia about the warranty getting voided if they found out. These have mag ride which everyone raves about (need to read more on why that is).

GT350:
Gets great reviews all around, and almost won Motortrend's driver car of the year (lost to a frickin McLaren!). Sounds amazing. I am concerned that this car weighs 4500 lbs. The heaviest sporty car I've ever had was a Maserati Quattroporte, and even that weighed less than this car! I'm not sure how I feel about an overly heavy car like this. I would like the car to be tossable in corners, not feel like a tank all the time. What I love about the car is I wouldn't have to mod it or touch the exhaust, so my warranty will remain in tact with no paranoia. Looks wise it's ok, I do like the front end, but overall it looks very similar to a standard GT. But dear God does it sound amazing.

C7 Z51:
Only 3200 lbs, so this car would be extremely tossable. I think it would offer the best sports car experience, not only because it's super light compared to the other 2, but even sitting inside would feel great too - low and snug interior which I like. The other cars would probably feel like you're sitting too high, which I kinda hate. It's even faster than the gt350, and "only" has 460hp. I would have to get the z51 model for the upgraded suspension and exhaust. I would need the 2lt package for cooled seats. Looks are opinions, but I do think it looks great and a bit edgy. The reason I'm unsure of this car is because the GT350 exhaust sounds awesome, and the ZL1 has a supercharger.

SRT 392/Hellcat:
This would be a charger/challenger. The charger is a cool 4 door sporty car, but only automatic. The challenger looks gigantic and at least has a 6speed. I am worried I would get sick of the blandish Dodge interior, or that it wouldn't age well and look like crap in a year. I doubt either car is very tossable. Hellcats can also be had in this range, so if I wound up with one, I'd shoot for a sweet supercharged Hellcat, but I'm open to the NA 392s. I just like the looks of the Charger and the hood scoops.

CTR + SUV:
And finally this option. I would pick up a CTR at a reasonable price, then have a nice SUV accompany it. I have no idea what SUV (x35i? wrangler? jag?). The CTR looks realllly fun to drive for a fwd car. Could be more fun than the z51. It sounds like crap, lets be honest, and even with an aftermarket exhaust it simply doesn't compare to any of the 'merican freedom-fighting eagle screaming hotdog grillin' v8s. I heard the seats are extremely good though.

A c7 z06 is possible, if one comes up for sale at the right price and has a warranty, but that would probably be stretching the budget too far.

Well, back to watching more reviews on youtube...
Old 11-22-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
GT350:
Gets great reviews all around, and almost won Motortrend's driver car of the year (lost to a frickin McLaren!). Sounds amazing. I am concerned that this car weighs 4500 lbs.
Where'd you get that weight?! It's a heavy car, but more like 3800 lb.

C7 Z51:
Only 3200 lbs, so this car would be extremely tossable.
More like 3450 lb.

https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...e-specs-page-4
Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

GT350 would be my pick of your choices. For a car that mean tip the scales, it sure turns in quick and power & delivery are top of the class. Tremendous brakes and is as loud an exhaust of any car on the market.

Only looking at American cars?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Voodoo. Best motor (that is affordable) since I’ve been alive. That Shelby will be worth keeping long term due to the motor. It’s a fantastic machine. I’d take it over anything under a hundred k. Metallic grey no stripes.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Voodoo. Best motor (that is affordable) since I’ve been alive.
Totally agree. Best looking black pack option of the cars I have seen that offer it.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

The CTR seats are completely incredible. I've driven the 3 pedal hell cat and its as docile as a pussy cat and comfortable to boot...until your right foot moves more than 2 inches- then hang on. Great fun both cars. Hellcat seats are really comfy too. I'm 155 lbs so I fit just about any seat you put me in. With both cars, gas station fill ups will take an hour just answering questions and posing for photos.

But do i ever love that Mustang 350- its my pick for the armchair argument. Oh, yeah. You're only allowed to buy a manual too. Otherwise, i'm just gonna laugh at your choice.

darcy
Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

C7 Grand Sport - all the mods for tracking with the more reliable (better-cooled) base engine. You can get one for $65K these days, from the "high volume" dealers (Kerbeck, Rick Conti, etc), give or take.

Other than that, I'd go GT350, purely on the basis of the motor. After that, ZL1, just because it's a beast.

I love the exterior of the Dodge products but that interior is pretty "meh" to me.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Voodoo is a special car.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having too much of a difficult time deciding between the ZL1 and GT350 without going for a test drive, but my roommate has the ecoboost mustang and it's a really nice car. So even though I didn't answer the question you can see where I am going with this.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The best performance car objectively of the bunch is the vette in whatever trim you end up getting it in. Imo the most special car of the bunch is the Shelby. The zl1 is awesome, and does everything well per reviews but just doesn't check that special box to me. And they depreciate pretty quickly off the lot. I like Hellcats in their unapologetic this is what I am kind of way, but the charger version makes the most sense and if I'm looking for something engaging I'd rather have the stick and two less doors.
Its funny because I'm actually reading up on the the evora, seemingly good car, surprisingly slow relative to it's price point (all trim levels 0-60 over 4 second mark for a car north of 80k new) but it's about the package, and I dunno it's a bargain exotic with all the pros and cons of owning an exotic (dash doesn't like being in the sun, door windows malfunction, and a short list of random tsbs like the clutch master cylinder etc) and it's a horizontally opposed v6 with all the joys that come with working on one although I hear it isn't too bad.
My vote is 350.