Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

30k budget ... where would your money go?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
you won't need anything like £30K then...

the E46 is one of the worst rusting modern BMWs you can buy and the M3 has the well known subframe issue as well

they are old cars now

I think it would be a bad idea to use a really good one as a daily/alternative daily - miles will kill the value as the bills will mount

need to know more about your circumstances to make a recommendation

an M135i or Golf R will be a far better bet than an old M3 and way less than your budget

NB I do not subscribe to the current fashionable idea that all old cars are classics
yes understand about the rust /subframe/vanos/head gasket issues with on the e46 .... and obviously something to look out for .

My circumstances are .... have the S for sunny day / summer drives ... have a works van for work ... have a x-trail for family duties .... have my golf gti Pirelli edition for a fun , use 3 times a week for gym /fun/picking kids up from school every now and then , cover 5k a year in it . The golf is the car I’m thjnking of changing . It is a very good car ( 330bhp , wavetrack lsd , ohlins suspension , milltek , dsg ect ) but just don’t find it fun !

Bmw 135i would also be worth looking at .... Rear wheel drive , good set of suspension would I suspect be very good for it , map to 380bhp ......
Old 04-29-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

You could pick up 2012 C63/e63/F10 M5. However, all will be ruinous in maintenance! 2014 Golf R, then Revo tune it. Or a Focus RS.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
You could pick up 2012 C63/e63/F10 M5. However, all will be ruinous in maintenance! 2014 Golf R, then Revo tune it. Or a Focus RS.

not sure they would be any better / fun than my currant hot hatch though ?

Last edited by Bodyboarder1981; 04-29-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

As boring as the Golf may be, i don't think you will find a better all rounder. Fun is subjective and doesn't need to be expensive.

It just depends how much money you've convinced yourself you need to spend.

I don't find modern cars fun. Reliable, quick and efficient yes, but fun, no. Not at the speeds you can realistically drive them at.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
As boring as the Golf may be, i don't think you will find a better all rounder. Fun is subjective and doesn't need to be expensive.

It just depends how much money you've convinced yourself you need to spend.

I don't find modern cars fun. Reliable, quick and efficient yes, but fun, no. Not at the speeds you can realistically drive them at.
some good points to ponder ..... the golf has done everything I bought it for very well , it’s just I’m looking for something with a little more .....

dont get me wrong .... don’t want to spend 30k .. but that’s my realistic budget .

Old 04-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
I guess a fun every other day car . To be used all year round .. 4 seats would be good ... really quite fancy a mint low mileage e46 m3 , but finding a good one will be difficult I think !
Dont bother with an E46 M3. Yes, they are good cars, but they are massively overpriced and knackered/cracked subframes are rife on them.

Id say an Audi RS4 saloon fits the bill, 4wd so it'll still work in the winter. Otherwise, get a M3 V8 saloon. If you can stomach a slushmatic, C63 AMG or a Lexus ISF.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

If you find the golf dull you will find an S4 or RS4 dull too, aside from the very latest

I'd put your money elsewhere. I bought an E92 for that sort of cash 6 years ago, it has a lot of appealing features but I would not buy it with hindsight

I got a ratty SC S2000 and that is far more interesting but that said I use a car purely for school runs and fun, my commuting is all bike

Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hyundai i30n!!! I test drove one and its so much fun and I'm currently in the middle of deciding whether to swap my integra or my S2000 for one having crashed my daily during the last heavy snow.

​​​​​You don't even need to be going fast for it to put a smile on your face with all the pops and bangs coming out of the exhaust. It's as good as described in this review by Evo.

​​​https://youtu.be/pSJU7SWYgxw

£27,995 for the performance pack, 5 years warranty which also covers you for track use and over 1,000 different customisable combinations for engine, suspension and exhaust. I don't know of any other usable and practical hot hatch that can top that!
​​​​​​

Last edited by Koolkat969; 04-30-2018 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Spacing
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981

yes understand about the rust /subframe/vanos/head gasket issues with on the e46 .... and obviously something to look out for .

My circumstances are .... have the S for sunny day / summer drives ... have a works van for work ... have a x-trail for family duties .... have my golf gti Pirelli edition for a fun , use 3 times a week for gym /fun/picking kids up from school every now and then , cover 5k a year in it . The golf is the car I’m thjnking of changing . It is a very good car ( 330bhp , wavetrack lsd , ohlins suspension , milltek , dsg ect ) but just don’t find it fun !

Bmw 135i would also be worth looking at .... Rear wheel drive , good set of suspension would I suspect be very good for it , map to 380bhp ......
Can you elaborate on what you mean by fun?

You've got a quick Golf modified in a variety of ways that doesn't deliver

What were you trying to achieve?

Please don't say fun
Old 05-01-2018, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Can you elaborate on what you mean by fun?

You've got a quick Golf modified in a variety of ways that doesn't deliver

What were you trying to achieve?

Please don't say fun
i find the S2k fun ..... but can’t ( don’t want to use it in the winter /salt/rain ) use it all year round . So wanting to replicate that S2k spirit in another car that can be used in the winter . I may well be trying to find something that doesn’t exist really . I’m in no rush to sell the golf now the weathers getting a bit better , as obviously I’ll be using the S a bit more. ..... maybe the answer is another S which isn’t in perfect condition , so wouldn’t mind using over winter !

Quick Reply: 30k budget ... where would your money go?