Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

30k budget ... where would your money go?

Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

i'm not sure where double your car money will get you in all honesty

It all depends on what you want. When i bought an E92 (which i realise you've run) it was as a family car but the missus then traded her Golf GTD (nice) for a Qashqai (awful to drive but more kit and space) it made the m redundant. Now i want an Exige S as i'd like to do more track time.

£30k either gets you a really old fast car with potential for monster bills or a newer car of similar performance to yours

a 315bhp Boxster 3.4s for example could potentially hold big bills, defo cost more to run and and will be a relatively marginal improvement on the S2000 i think
a GT86 just doesnt have the engine to excite and is slower than your car
a fwd hot hatch is wrong wheel drive and meh to me.. as much as i wanna like it, the thing is ugly.. it'll be more tractable than an S2 but so was your BM

i would stash your savings and let them grow.. that is more addictive than some of these cars to me. out of my 3 cars the SC S2000 is just amazing fun but mine is high maintenance, cant cope with track and cant be relied upon.. the stock S2000 is a car i will never sell, it does everything, has never broken down in 17 years and is great to drive, plus you can drive it with a smile and find you're not doing 100 leptons and heading for jail. the M3 is a great daily, i just dont use a daily so mine is unused. i like the cracking stereo and climate, the great seats and the lovely sound but that probably says it all.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i'm not sure where double your car money will get you

£30k either gets you a really old fast car with potential for monster bills or a newer car of similar performance to yours
Tend to agree with this
I'm bemused by most old car prices and won't pay them
Most new car prices seem equally daft to me
I'm currently keeping a watching brief
No incentive to spend big all the time I can't get my head around what's ging on
Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
I guess I need to make up my mind to eaither keep the S2k and buy something around the 25-30k mark or sell and have around 40-45k . That scares me having that sort of money in one car !!

The z4 coupe in my thread is my brother in laws and is only the 3L not the M .... is so different to the S2k , a mini muscle car and not so delicate to drive as the Honda .... really have to man handle it . A nice z4m coupe with sensible miles ( sub 70k) does appeal and can be had by the looks of it around the 20-25k . Also can’t see it loosing a lot of money which is a nice thought .
I have a Z4M coupe and i can vouch for it as a 'fun' car to drive. You do have to grab it by the scruff of the neck but when you do you'll find a car that handles better than an S2K with a really exciting engine. Mine still shocks me as to how fast you gain speed when you floor it and it just gets better the higher you rev it.

Mine kept me interested for 7 years before i bought an M2. My Z4M is technically for sale, not that i've really tried to sell it yet.
The following users liked this post:
Bodyboarder1981 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
I have a Z4M coupe and i can vouch for it as a 'fun' car to drive. You do have to grab it by the scruff of the neck but when you do you'll find a car that handles better than an S2K with a really exciting engine. Mine still shocks me as to how fast you gain speed when you floor it and it just gets better the higher you rev it.

Mine kept me interested for 7 years before i bought an M2. My Z4M is technically for sale, not that i've really tried to sell it yet.
details on z4m ?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Think I found it .... on PH for 21k ? See the m2 in the background

any room for movement on the price ?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I´m not a BMW fan, but I do love my E46 M3, and seems to be in line with what you´re looking for. Just stay away from SMG cars and do a good pre-inspection for the subchasis failure. Mine is 184.000kms, regular maintenance only.

Other options to consider:
- 996 turbo: It´s an awesome all rounder car, will only grow in value; not sure about prices in the UK
- Lancer Evo Tommi Makinen: not much fun to drive but looks awesome and also gaining value
- M5 E39, although I´d rather choose the E46, this is still a great car, lovely engine
- Mazda FD RX7, if you´re not afraid or dropping a new engine at some point on the road
- Corvette C5 Z06

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wait another year and see what F Type prices do.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
Think I found it .... on PH for 21k ? See the m2 in the background

any room for movement on the price ?

I've allowed for a little movement.

PM me if you're seriously interested.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i'm not sure where double your car money will get you in all honesty

It all depends on what you want. When i bought an E92 (which i realise you've run) it was as a family car but the missus then traded her Golf GTD (nice) for a Qashqai (awful to drive but more kit and space) it made the m redundant. Now i want an Exige S as i'd like to do more track time.

a 315bhp Boxster 3.4s for example could potentially hold big bills, defo cost more to run and and will be a relatively marginal improvement on the S2000 i think
a GT86 just doesnt have the engine to excite and is slower than your car
a fwd hot hatch is wrong wheel drive and meh to me.. as much as i wanna like it, the thing is ugly.. it'll be more tractable than an S2 but so was your BM

i would stash your savings and let them grow.. that is more addictive than some of these cars to me. out of my 3 cars the SC S2000 is just amazing fun but mine is high maintenance, cant cope with track and cant be relied upon.. the stock S2000 is a car i will never sell, it does everything, has never broken down in 17 years and is great to drive, plus you can drive it with a smile and find you're not doing 100 leptons and heading for jail. the M3 is a great daily, i just dont use a daily so mine is unused. i like the cracking stereo and climate, the great seats and the lovely sound but that probably says it all.
Christ, Jason - you sound as old as me! How did you manage catch me up?

'Tis true I enjoy playing with money and my cunning plans rather than spending it - and these days I seem to enjoy cycling more than I do driving.

But I do still enjoy the occasional drive in my old bangers and thus will likely keep them forever. I just cannot countenance spending loads of money on a modern, over-complicated and thus unreliable PoS.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
I'd wait another year and see what F Type prices do.
They seem pretty firm with no sign of dropping much.

A friend has just paid £40K for a V6S.

It's a very nice thing and plenty quick enough.

Quick Reply: 30k budget ... where would your money go?