Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

After 7 years 4 months the Cayman S is gone

Old 10-25-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 7 years 4 months the Cayman S is gone

Well it has been 7 years and 4 months of ownership of the Cayman S but finally the time has come to change the car.
It has been a fantastic period of ownership with some great experiences along the way including several trips to Arran, 9 track days including 5 at Spa a trip to Dublin for a long weekend to see some friends and a trip to Rotterdam for a few days to see some friends.

A reminder of her first day along with my S2000 just before I sold it.

Car was just a joy to drive and a great time on the track at my limited level
The Bristol dealership has provided nothing but exemplary customer service

Well I guess you might be vaguely interested in what I have replaced it with

So just where could I go after owning such a car, the options are limited once you have been enjoyed the capability and performance of such a car.

After a couple of test drives a certain car popped onto my radar and I bit the bullet and put a deposit down, even though I had not driven this specific car!

Well I guess I cannot drag this out anymore, so here is my new car, picked it up 2 days ago ... to follow

I know it will not be everyone's cup of tea, but damn she looks beautiful in my eyes

And OMG the noise of the sports exhaust is freaking amazing
I will have to try and get a good recording of it to post

I have also gone to the dark side and she is an automatic, but the DSG gearbox is just sublime.

I will post some interior shot when I take some
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 AM

Lovely looking car, I personally would have gone for the 981 but that's a great choice all the same. I was at the dealership looking at a beautiful black low mileage 981 the other day but have to refrain for another year or so at least. I agree with what you say about choices being limited after owning a Porsche, they are a quality marque.

Best of luck with it.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Spa next year perhaps? I'll enjoy overtaking you again!

Like that colour too.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I like it

Why did you change though? Very similar or not?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

Much nicer looking in Red
Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

Feckin' awesome.

Too blunt?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are a creature of habit. 7 years with one car then you buy the same model again. In 7 years I would have experienced at least 5 weekend toys
Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I like it

Why did you change though? Very similar or not?
Well that is a reasonable question.
When it comes to heavy traffic driving, the manual can be a little tiresome at times and the Gen 1 Caymans provide rather too much feedback of the road conditions which I expect is great on the track but with rough road surfaces again can be wearing after a while, sometimes I thought I might have had a flat tire but it was just I could feel the road surface through the pedals and the seat.

The new generation Caymans are more in line with the new 911's for ride comfort. You know the road is there, but you do not need to know it is as rough a surface as the tires are feeling.

The new engines are a step up on the previous generation as well with direct fuel injection into the cylinder heads.
This means that while both cars are 3.4 litres, the new car is 45 more horsepower, more fuel efficient and lower CO2, meaning it drops down to a road tax bracket of £265 from £485 for the old car.

Porsche have tweaked and improved the design, track with handling, etc incrementally making the car better and providing longevity for the model.
This is now common in Audi, BMW & to some extent Ford, something Honda should have done with the S2000.

The design has been refined and its looks improved as far as i am concerned.

A 911 S would be another £30K on the purchase price and not worth the money for what the Cayman provides in performance, comfort and shear capability on the road and track as far as handling is concerned.

I though about a Boxster but prefer the Cayman over that.
There just is no other car in that price range that interests me.

With the new car I will intend to own it for 10 years initially (max warranty extension period)
It has enough capability for me and is a much higher spec than my previous Cayman which was more budget limited when I ordered it.

Hope that helps explain partially why I traded up.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
You are a creature of habit. 7 years with one car then you buy the same model again. In 7 years I would have experienced at least 5 weekend toys
Sounds to me that none of those toys where that good then if thy did not last the distance/time

I could ask the same of those who keep buying S2000's over and over considering they are not getting any better as a car, just aging.
I guess they like them then
Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Much nicer looking in Red
It is a much nicer red than the standard Guards Red

Quick Reply: After 7 years 4 months the Cayman S is gone