Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

All these new car threads

Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

25 is good. 25 and a grin is better than 48 and a grimace IMO but then I'm not smashing miles atm
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Greasy roads following the first rain for weeks proved a bit tricky out of corners yesterday

Nothing too hair-raising or surprising but further confirmation better tyres on the back would be a good thing

Another thing I'd read was that the Jag is quite aerodynamic and I have found evidence of that - it really keeps up speed when you back off the throttle

I was seeing 25mpg at 80mph on cruise on continental roads yesterday

Other commentators have said they don't like the supercharger whine (you only hear it when you plant the throttle) - I love it and no sign of the novelty wearing off
What greasy roads? I'm clearly not trying hard enough. Though it does seem weird to accelerate as the front begins to wash out.

IKWYM about heavy, aerodynamic cars running away with you when they should be slowing down.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Update time

Reliability is still first class.

It has developed the very slightest hestitation in the warm up phase which lasts for about five seconds and is then gone. I'm far too experienced with cars to spend time and money chasing it as it doesn't affect the drive in the slightest. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't disappear in the next service or it's something like a loose breather. Anyway, that's how much I'm struggling to find a fault.

Actually there is one other thing. Jags of that era have a recognised gearbox issue from time to time, best summarised as harsh changes. I've only experienced this once or twice when the car has been very cold but the perceived wisdom is that a gearbox oil change is a good thing. Jaguar claim it's unnecessary and the gearbox fluid is 'for life' but a manufacturer's idea of 'for life' is rather different from most people's. I can get the software flashed at the same time so will do that.

I still haven't had the leather repair done. It has what looks a bit like a burn in the middle of the passenger front seat - about 5mm square. You can't see when there's someone in the seat and it's hard to see anyway but it annoys me so I must get round to it. Some form of smart repair will do it I expect.

Alloys could really do with a refurb now as they let the car down a little. Only thing stopping me is the onset of winter and all the crap that will be thrown at them, plus I need to decide what to do about tyres. I generally like to fit a complete set of new tyres at the same time as I get wheels refurbed. It has OEM recommended Contis on the front which are only about 25% worn and crappy Maxxi things (crap in damp and wet) on the back. The backs HAVE to go. I've abandoned the idea of the bigger Barcelonas unless a pristine set with new tyres come up for sale.

Consumption average remains at about 21mpg. 25mpg is easy on a long run when it's loping along. Probably 8 if you use it for half mile trips (I don't). I'm still keeping a close eye on oil consumption and it invariably needs a top up fortnightly or so. As I said before topping up is awkward - this is due to the location of the filler cap - big long funnel needed. I have tried it in sport mode a few times and it's definitely better if you're in a hurry. Otherwise the normal setting is perfect.

I have bought the Meguiars headlight polishing kit so I'm going to do them today if the weather is ok and will post some before and after photos. Despite being xenons I'm not that impressed with the vision at night, the lenses are cloudy, so I'm hoping the polish will make a big difference. They also seem to be set rather low but I don't think they can be adjusted. We'll see.

I worked out how to use the Parrot thing. Waste of time. No point.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Polish won't make a massive difference Pete, the best approach is wet and dry sand paper with a cutting compound however you need to keep on top of it - it will look like new then.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I've had decent results on the S depends how bad they are, it could easily be stubborn gunk.

good to see it's debunking the reputation. a lot of car for the money in things like this. One of Gad's mates in Evo was telling all to buy a bargain V8 and pointed out some examples though a leggy E39 sounds like a time bomb to me unless you find a cherished one (rare as rocking horse shit) and a great indy.

i'm starting to get hooked on the v8 now, the sheer grunt and massive linear powerband is just a thing of beauty. gears are for poofs
Old 11-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s2konroids
The Polish won't make a massive difference Pete, the best approach is wet and dry sand paper with a cutting compound however you need to keep on top of it - it will look like new then.
The kit has four different grades of wet and dry so I'll probably go through all the levels and then just use the compound supplied to finish off. More annoying I see someone has left a nice set of fingerprints on the inside of one lens so that will have to come out. Too bloody cold to be messing about outside today though and I have no garage space atm.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I've had decent results on the S depends how bad they are, it could easily be stubborn gunk.

good to see it's debunking the reputation. a lot of car for the money in things like this. One of Gad's mates in Evo was telling all to buy a bargain V8 and pointed out some examples though a leggy E39 sounds like a time bomb to me unless you find a cherished one (rare as rocking horse shit) and a great indy.

i'm starting to get hooked on the v8 now, the sheer grunt and massive linear powerband is just a thing of beauty. gears are for poofs
I'll tell you a story about someone prominent in EVO one day. Think cuckold in the meantime.

EVO was probably following PH's barge thread, only about a decade late. The only E39 worth having was the M5 - the rest are expensive liabilities now. Buy one but then scrap or sell it as soon as something goes wrong. This Jag, like the M5, being top of the model food chain, will always retain more value and be worth spending more on, but you have to be careful.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Someone (6'3") complained about the headroom in the back and the comfort of the rear seats - no-one else has. I don't go in the back.
I do enjoy the phrase "A second class lift is better than a first class walk" in these situations.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Headlights are tricky chaps; it's actually a clear acrylic coat designed to protect the polycarbonate which yellows. Polish it off and then the PC just yellows, which is why you have to keep at it all the time & was one reason for the 'Lude's projectors.

Funnily enough, the Leg End's dipped beam isn't all that either. S2000's is way better.

Change the cog box oil; all that friction material from the clutch & brake plates cannot be good for it. The only reason they say 'for life' is they want to sell you a recon slushbox. Madness.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Headlights are tricky chaps; it's actually a clear acrylic coat designed to protect the polycarbonate which yellows. Polish it off and then the PC just yellows, which is why you have to keep at it all the time & was one reason for the 'Lude's projectors.
Crap, or commodity, plastics may employ a coating (unusual IME) but generally, and in good quality plastics, especially for premium products, to avoid degradation a stabiliser is added; HALS (Hindered Amine Light Stabiliser).

I worked for some time with a fine chemicals company which produced exclusively the HALS which was used in the first generation iMac to avoid the colour degradation and cloudiness in the transparent/translucent case.

Quick Reply: All these new car threads