Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1

Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

So you're cured of the Lotusitis, then..?

The old car (minus the panda-eyes) looks fantastic to me, but good luck with the new one.

Well done on getting around the la-la land prices. Still, Lotus need to make money one way or another and they're about the only modern (?) sports car maker of any note to me.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's
UMMMM plate looks familiar

edit just found the pic, good to speak with you that day. Your Lotus was the best looking car there that day, The little Alfa 4c was nice to
Hi!

You were in the nutty s2k? How is the car going, it was rapid!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Lovely..

Has it been well behaved and used? (The outgoing one)

The price was silly, good work!
It hasnt been used too much, it’s just ticked over to 4000 miles, no track days, I’ve just been enjoying it on the road, but it really is so much fun I havent felt Ive been missing out to be honest. I think the noise is part if it with the 2bular exhaust
Its also behaved itself really. It has a habit of throwing an engine light now woth the new exhaust. They run very rich from the factory and changing the exhaust just trips the light once in a while. Just a quick obd reset needed. Easily sorted if you get the car remapped and a filter added, getting you to 370 in the process. The drivers seat wobbled a bit, always has been an issue since s2s I think. They came up with some insert to greatly improve the situation last uear and these can be fitted to all years, about £40 for the larts and quite easy to fit. The new car as a totally redesigned runner that fixes the issue. I cant complain other than that to be honest.

oh the price was silly! Something much better was agreed, plus three years servicing and an extra years warranty, as the Cups used to only come with one which is really annoying (they get two now).
Old 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
So you're cured of the Lotusitis, then..?

The old car (minus the panda-eyes) looks fantastic to me, but good luck with the new one.

Well done on getting around the la-la land prices. Still, Lotus need to make money one way or another and they're about the only modern (?) sports car maker of any note to me.
Prices are getting a bit silly. The 350 sport is now nearly 70k with the spec you would want, pre negotiating. No real engineering advances, more and more expensive carbon being added to the top models. But they do still get great reviews, and rightly so, even if they haven't advanced a great deal, because they really are so good in the first place
Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Absolutely love it.

I hankered after one at a local motor show this summer, central lotus had a cup of some description there and are close to me but I darent go (the missus wants an extension and I want to get rid of a car, not buy another )

it was too low for my drive anyway haha

read a group testt in evo and on the gear change thing they had some vbox tracking where they compared an exige to some serious metal, all dual clutch trans. You could see the changes on the exige.anyways it was a tad slower than some £200k machinery.. even their Porsche GT at quarter of a mill had not much on it

Still, manual all the way for me. Glad you are enjoying off track too..

Off to browse pistonheads and dream

Old 11-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Gawd! Thought I had settled on a year or 2 old Elise 250 Cup next up, as kind of a more modern continuation of the S2 Exige which I always wanted, now I've read this, watched a few reviews on you tube and thinking a used, albeit slightly older 350 for similar money may be the way to go....ahhhhhh!, that V6 is sublime, and your Cup is so nice. Any advice greatly received.
Back to Pistonheads for me too
Old 11-02-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Slippery slope!

The four banger is all you need. But when was this about needs?

I seem to have developed a penchant for multi-cylinders and a V6 (as Honda stated years ago) is a good compromise.

The 350 isn't exactly a struggle-buggy and can be had for a fraction of the price of a new 404/405/406/407/601/603/Beaufighter or whatever they launch on Fridays...
Old 11-02-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart_M
Oh Gawd! Thought I had settled on a year or 2 old Elise 250 Cup next up, as kind of a more modern continuation of the S2 Exige which I always wanted, now I've read this, watched a few reviews on you tube and thinking a used, albeit slightly older 350 for similar money may be the way to go....ahhhhhh!, that V6 is sublime, and your Cup is so nice. Any advice greatly received.
Back to Pistonheads for me too
i was looking at 250 Cups, but they had just come out so I could only find a 220 to drive and it just didnt excite me. A 250 with a fun exhaust may be a different offering. The plan was to get one and just track it and drive the wheels off it.

But then I spoke to Jamie at Bell and Colvill and he suprised me and was able to get me in a V6 for just a touch over my planned budget. Initially I missed some of the connection from my s1, but then that was on track nitrons, bushings replaced with nitron bearings, bigger anti roll bar, quick rack and had harnesses. This year I fitted harnesses to the v6, I wish I had done that earlier! Such an improvement and the car feels perfect now, being pinned in the seat has made all the difference.

Its a buyers market this time of year and sticker prices are not really where you’ll end up, so go find yourself a 350. You wont be disappointed, every drive, right from the fire up is an event.
The following users liked this post:
Stuart_M (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

i agree v6 over 4 banger.. they just sound a lot better (says the S2000 driver)

are the paddleshift ones any good?

https://centrallotus.com/pre-owned/l...um-2015-39995/
Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i agree v6 over 4 banger.. they just sound a lot better (says the S2000 driver)

are the paddleshift ones any good?

https://centrallotus.com/pre-owned/l...um-2015-39995/
Not so much, and they've even stopped making them. They take an age to sell on as well. There are some threads on the lotus forums, 1.4 seconds to change up apparently, doesnt sound that much fin to me, but apparently you learn to just pull the lever a bit before you need it.

It does look quite smart that one!

Quick Reply: Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1