Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1

Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

great looking thing (with the roof off) OP

I suspect you might be longer working on it and spending more on it than you'd like

sadly engineer does not always = good quality

any more than solicitor = honest

but more than that, my experience is that cobbling together a real mixed bag of components (however skilfully) will invariably produce lots of niggles

hopefully I'm wrong/it will be worth it!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd second that!

Especially when you're used to Honda-OEM quality connectors & stuff.

Looks lovely though, but I'm with UF on the not-shooting-it stakes.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So last nights session threw up the problem again. After about 30 mins very hard use the rev counter 'floated' for a second, the rev readout dropped and then rose back to where they should be. The engine didn't change revs though to match the readout. No rev limiter this time though afterwards, but it wouldn't switch to VTEC cams.

I stopped, turned the car off and on and all was fine again. I've not had a chance to download the k-pro software to my laptop, but I need to get on and do that, then next time hopefully I can pull over and find an error code of some sort.

The gearbox speed sensor arrived today, so I'll try that and see if that changes anything, as this will let the connector clip on correctly given the clip on the current one is broken. Fingers crossed it is that simple, but I have my doubts it will be for some reason.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:10 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
1. Limp mode, due to the Vehicle speed sensor? - When test driving the car suddenly wouldn't rev past 4k, some sort of limp mode. Stopping and turning it off cured it. The owner promised it had never done it. I left not putting a deposit down and agreed he'd drive it for a few more days. He promised it hadn't done it again.
Seems like he was being somewhat economical with the truth.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1407184468' post='23272846

1. Limp mode, due to the Vehicle speed sensor? - When test driving the car suddenly wouldn't rev past 4k, some sort of limp mode. Stopping and turning it off cured it. The owner promised it had never done it. I left not putting a deposit down and agreed he'd drive it for a few more days. He promised it hadn't done it again.
Seems like he was being somewhat economical with the truth.
Yes, very possibly He has spoken with me several times at quite some length about the issues I'm having. He has said once I get the car sorted, so I have a total on the costs and work it took to get it running right, to give him another call and he will see what he can do to help in some way

I spent £700 pounds on my charged S as I sold it, because it had some hesitation I had noticed and didn't want the new owner having any issues. That involved a full remap and new fuel pump. Hopefully karma will look after me here.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At least, in this day and age, most sellers have online reputations they're keen to preserve. Trashing them, or threatening to, might give them an incentive ...
Old 08-27-2014, 01:07 AM

Time for a quick update. Not so good news.

It turns out that I was right with my worries that 4-5 years after conversion some aspects may be a little tired rather than proven and faults irnoed out.

Basically the engine needs a fresh loom and re-wiring, which is of course a rear clam off job. All in they say it will be £1400-£1500

Essex Autosport have an inhouse car electrician and he has noticed lots of poor joins, lots of which have gone dry. Some of the wiring had not been carried out in the recommended way also. They were able to make the car cut out by pulling wires in four to five locations and gave up after that, as they came to the conclusion that the only true way to fix it and make it reliable is an engine re-wire. Given I want the car to be dependable I'm going to agree with them and just get it done rather than just keep chasing wiring faults.

So really not the ideal start, but hopefully this will put an end to all of the problems and I'll get a chance to enjoy the car before the weather gets worse.

I'm getting a few other bits done as well:
  • RS14 brake pads all round
  • Brake fluid changed for ATE Superblue
  • New wheel nuts, as the lotus ones are so weak they round so you can't get them off
  • VSS speed sensor swapped for one without a broken clip
  • Oil change
  • Plugs change
  • Air filter cleaned
  • Dust covers fitted to the rear toe arms if the bearings are still in good condition
  • Fit 'clutch pedal creak' repair kit
  • Replace a CV Boot
  • New battery

With all this I just hope I can then go out an actually starting enjoying it!

The uprated radiator is going to have to wait, so lets take bets on how soon it is until the existing one splits on me...
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
The uprated radiator is going to have to wait, so lets take bets on how soon it is until the existing one splits on me...
At least there is some recent expertise around even if Crewe-Congleton is a bit of a hike from yours!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'll be uncharitable and say the original owner was more than aware of this! Bad luck
Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
I'll be uncharitable and say the original owner was more than aware of this! Bad luck
I think he may have been but it is hard to tell. He had the car 4 months and did one track day in it 30 mins from him at brands so there is every chance it was fine.

I saw him on the wkend for a set of alloys, and as he said, he now has his mini race car and trailer and has also sold his e46 m3...

Either way I messaged him last night and there hasn't been any offer of a few quid to help out so far. Any form of gesture would be nice

On the plus side, they think I should be able to have the car Saturday as its got their full attention at the minute. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1