Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone bought or leased anything recently?

Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I suspect the Jazz would be too small and the p taking too great - not a great combination

I will need a bigger car than that - one cannot drive anything smaller than the other half's motor!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Jazz is fantastic at swallowing large loads ( Ooerrr ) but for lazy comfortable mile munching, the Kia Sportage we had in the USA last year was beyond reproach, same goes for the new Hyundai Tucson - both of which have unlimited 5 year warranties. I've tried the Nissan Cashcow and the Renault Kadjaaaaa thing - not that impressed by either and the Renault is particularly ugly and everyone has the Nissan. None of them seem a great bet at 3+ years old.

Simons Golf GTi is a very nice thing but then maybe it's too nice and you'd find yourself watching where you parked it which is both tiresome and stressful.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Kia has a 7 year warranty.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by unclefester
Jazz is fantastic at swallowing large loads ( Ooerrr ) but for lazy comfortable mile munching, the Kia Sportage we had in the USA last year was beyond reproach, same goes for the new Hyundai Tucson - both of which have unlimited 5 year warranties. I've tried the Nissan Cashcow and the Renault Kadjaaaaa thing - not that impressed by either and the Renault is particularly ugly and everyone has the Nissan. None of them seem a great bet at 3+ years old.

Simons Golf GTi is a very nice thing but then maybe it's too nice and you'd find yourself watching where you parked it which is both tiresome and stressful.
Thanks I will look at the Kia. You are right about fretting over a car. OK if it's truly special but a real irritation if not. Has anyone driven the HRV Nick mentioned earlier? I saw one in a Honda dealers a few months ago and was quite taken with it. Of course, as soon as you read a review you have to endure some journo spouting all sorts of crap that doesn't tell you much more than they didn't like it much or that it was wonderful (usually the manufacturer does a lot of advertising with them).

I don't expect something like a small (or big) SUV to handle like a sports car and I don't expect Lotus levels of steering feel from cooking hatches, hence the value I put on real world experience on here. People are also generally enthusiastic about cars in general but not blinded by brand loyalty or hatred
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The new (to us) CofE seems highly-regarded across the pond.

Just avoid the L15...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend giving Kia a look; I've had a 'Kia Approved' Cee'd diesel since 2014, put 55k miles on it and it has 2 years of warranty left. Trouble free really, no tax and had quite a few things replaced under warranty that you'd never get away with at VAG or similar (Wheels, clutch due to slight vibe, headlights, brake caliper for seized nipple, ball joint, etc). With the 7 year warranty Kia seem to fit parts that are less likely to fail, eg, no DMF, diesel initiated DPF regen, vacuum operated turbo wastegate. I'm only just replacing all the discs and pads at 68k miles; the quality of the parts must be to a fair standard.

Other car is a Octavia VRS245 estate, its not exactly premium brand being a VAG car but it makes the Kia feel slow as hell and a little budget in regards to the interior quality, MFD, touch and feel.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Thanks I will look at the Kia. You are right about fretting over a car. OK if it's truly special but a real irritation if not. Has anyone driven the HRV Nick mentioned earlier? I saw one in a Honda dealers a few months ago and was quite taken with it. Of course, as soon as you read a review you have to endure some journo spouting all sorts of crap that doesn't tell you much more than they didn't like it much or that it was wonderful (usually the manufacturer does a lot of advertising with them).

I don't expect something like a small (or big) SUV to handle like a sports car and I don't expect Lotus levels of steering feel from cooking hatches, hence the value I put on real world experience on here. People are also generally enthusiastic about cars in general but not blinded by brand loyalty or hatred
I've not driven one. But according to the Septics, the usual Honda caveats apply - nice car, horrid, underpowered engine(!)

Case in point; Today I will be mostly driving a Civic with a 1.0 three-pot turbo; I thought it was a Diesel at first, until I looked. And yet everything else about it is so much better than old Bagpuss. I've not even had a problem seeing out of it and the CVT is well-mapped. Usual lovely ergonomics, now a dash you can stand to look at, etc, etc. But that three-pot really needs another bank of cylinders to make the low-speed NVH acceptable. It's fine once spinning, though.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I've not driven one. But according to the Septics, the usual Honda caveats apply - nice car, horrid, underpowered engine(!)

Case in point; Today I will be mostly driving a Civic with a 1.0 three-pot turbo; I thought it was a Diesel at first, until I looked. And yet everything else about it is so much better than old Bagpuss. I've not even had a problem seeing out of it and the CVT is well-mapped. Usual lovely ergonomics, now a dash you can stand to look at, etc, etc. But that three-pot really needs another bank of cylinders to make the low-speed NVH acceptable. It's fine once spinning, though.
My oh looked at the new Astra which I think had a one litre triple.

It was definitely let down by the engine and she immediately preferred the Nissan she drove straight afterwards, as did I.

I might try the HRV. It can't be as dead as that Astra and as long as it's not genuinely slow I'm more concerned about the comfort and general feel.

Seems to be a mini SUV from every manufacturer nowadays so plenty of choice.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

FWIW, my mother test drove an HRV and the Golf SV when replacing her old Jazz. The Golf is a much nicer place to be, even if the HRV is not bad at all.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:59 AM

The HRV is based on the Jazz plank, so uses a torsion beam. So it depends on your definition of comfort. It's no X300...

After that, you might want to try the new Civic - but ensure it's firing on all four cylinders, not three. The new plank (with proper IRS) deals with lousy roads pretty well.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought or leased anything recently?