Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone bought or leased anything recently?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I have done the exact opposite to you, Gad and Nick, my 01 S2 is now serviced by me as i have lost all remaining faith in dealers and lack the patience to deal with em. Having said that if Daytona were closer...

this year changed coolant, diff fluid, gearbox fluid, oil, filter and serp belt and bearings so next year pretty easy. I do enjoy tinkering in my garage and for the first time in a long time i have time to do it.

Even the family car is 10yo now. I’ve no desire for newer cars at all. Had a pass ride in an 18 plate 911 turbo this week. Impressive but unappealing to me in equal measure
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I have done the exact opposite to you, Gad and Nick, my 01 S2 is now serviced by me as i have lost all remaining faith in dealers and lack the patience to deal with em. Having said that if Daytona were closer...

this year changed coolant, diff fluid, gearbox fluid, oil, filter and serp belt and bearings so next year pretty easy. I do enjoy tinkering in my garage and for the first time in a long time i have time to do it.

Even the family car is 10yo now. I’ve no desire for newer cars at all. Had a pass ride in an 18 plate 911 turbo this week. Impressive but unappealing to me in equal measure
you're younger, you'll change

I haven't lost my taste in older cars completely, just my appetite for skinned knuckles, dirty fingernails and crap in my eyes and hair

I'll probably do oil and filter and pad changes until I give up driving but they are the only things I find worthwhile now, even though they save the least money

Old habits die hard I suppose
Old 10-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
you're younger, you'll change

I haven't lost my taste in older cars completely, just my appetite for skinned knuckles, dirty fingernails and crap in my eyes and hair

I'll probably do oil and filter and pad changes until I give up driving but they are the only things I find worthwhile now, even though they save the least money

Old habits die hard I suppose
and so far have only changed oil the once which was forced by the plug coming out on arrival home from buying - see my avatar pic
Old 10-08-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Does a deal help the decision?

I got mailshat by Britannia and I think this works out as ten large including the dreaded for three years:

https://www.britanniacarfinance.co.u...20%20VAT%20BCH
Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want something new which goes straight to a main dealer under warranty if it plays up

If that's a major driver, I'd consider the reputation of your local dealerships in your selection of car - the least competent will drive you to distraction (or worse!) Pete.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Does a deal help the decision?

I got mailshat by Britannia and I think this works out as ten large including the dreaded for three years:

https://www.britanniacarfinance.co.u...20%20VAT%20BCH
You'd think they'd pay you more than £10K to drive that for three years!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ianl
If that's a major driver, I'd consider the reputation of your local dealerships in your selection of car - the least competent will drive you to distraction (or worse!) Pete.
Fair point Ian. Probably be Korean in that case although I have had no recent problems with local Nissan or Honda dealers.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect the Jazz would be too small and the p taking too great - not a great combination

I will need a bigger car than that - one cannot drive anything smaller than the other half's motor!
Wise words indeed.

Has anyone suggested a Yeti? (apologies, I skim read)

Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

ITTSG? I know Skoda were planning to drop it.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
ITTSG? I know Skoda were planning to drop it.
The Karoq is the replacement: ŠKODA KAROQ

Though it looks very much like a VW Tiguan/SEAT Ateca, so it's not really a direct replacement, sadly.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought or leased anything recently?