Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone bought or leased anything recently?

Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
If it's anything like the RAV4 Hybrid, it ought to be pretty good.

I rather enjoyed driving that. Once the novelty of playing with the HSD has worn off, it might be different...
What novelty...................................
Actually the 0-20mph is pretty impressive (if you compensate for a slight delay in the automatic transmission) due to the electric drive in most of the hybrids. I've embarrassed some porkers and the like for the first few meters .............. and then typically been thoroughly smoked once they decide to actually try
They're very painless to drive and you don't have to think much. The most fun I have with them though is trying to beat my MPG record for the drive to work. It's hardly drifting though.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fluffyninja
Actually the 0-20mph is pretty impressive (if you compensate for a slight delay in the automatic transmission) due to the electric drive in most of the hybrids. I've embarrassed some porkers and the like for the first few meters .............. and then typically been thoroughly smoked once they decide to actually try
They're very painless to drive and you don't have to think much. The most fun I have with them though is trying to beat my MPG record for the drive to work. It's hardly drifting though.
To answer your earlier question, I'm quite keen on the hybrid. One thing that's putting me off slightly are the engine reviews and talk of new powerplants coming. Any news on that?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:13 AM

They’re moving to a dual hybrid strategy where there will be two power output hybrid systems. The smaller of the two in the chr size cars will remain the same for a few years. A 1.8L with a combined output of whatever it is now. There’s a larger 2L also now in the press also as a hybrid. I think the aim for higher speed but maybe total mpg not quite so good. If you’re after a fuel efficient then the 1.8L I think will be the one to go for. The new Corolla will use the same power train (definitely does for 1.8L) so can get an idea looking at its line up.

Having a a think about it the chr must be at least a year or two away from facelift so not likely to be changes imminently
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Old 11-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fluffyninja
Yes - max torque @ zero RPM is one novelty!

The other bit is trying to keep the rough 2.5 four-banger from disturbing the peace, until the battery is too depleted for it not to. And seeing how many coulombs one can stuff back into it by optimising the deceleration curve. I guess I'm too much of an anorak to be trusted with HSD, really.

Painless is how I rate it too - but it's a lot less like so-is-death-painless than Toyotas used to be - it's actually quite a tidy handler and the controls actually feel connected to something. Hence why it's difficult not to recommend one.

As for HSD; 46% of Euro-Toyota buyers cannot be wrong!