Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Audi TT 2.0T Roadster

Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT 2.0T Roadster

It's not THAT bad!

I now have one whilst the 111R is put to rights!

Let's get one things straight... it is not a sports car.

But... it's not a bad car!

For all the torque monkeys, this car has plenty. Which just succeeds in burning rubber. Even with TC on! This car must eat tyres. What is the point of torque again?

The handling is probably better than it feels. I'm too nervous to really throw it in to a corner, but I think I am under estimating it's ability. It just feels to heavy and the steering is vague.

The exhaust note is . I like it.

Interior... a let down. I always remember being impressed by the retro chic of the old TT. The new one seems to have taken a step toward plastic city.

Lookswise, the new version is a lot sharper than the old. In fact I would say it's a good looker if you want a pose mobile. I have certainly noticed alot of female attention when out and about today.

Ceri want's me to buy it and let them take the 111R back. NO CHANCE!

Funny thing was... I left the office at lunch time today to find fake number plates "GAY 8OY" on front and back!

Summary... good car, not a sports car.

On that note, I am off to bed... busy day at the hair dresser tomorrow!
Old 02-09-2008, 04:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's these tree-huggers that are responsible for the shit interiors of modern Germans.

Sorry; never got the Tittie thing; it's ill-proportioned in a way that the Brera Spyder isn't, despite its Snoopy nose.

I hope the Scirocco's more, well, like a Scirocco/Corrado/type thing.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Banned

I just don't understand why they changed the look of it. They tried to make it sharper and edgier with each facelift and with the new model they just shat on the original concept of each line having a function.

Having sai that, from what I understand the new one is more of a proper driver's car than the previous one I drove while I worked in Germany. I'd prefer they put the original day one model's looks with the new one's handling and engine.

But I still wouldn't buy one.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Notwithstanding the fact I would not buy one myself....

... I think the old TT looks dated compared to the new one.

In fact, the new one looks good from many angles.

Will try to take some pics tomorrow!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Feb 9 2008, 02:09 PM
Having sai that, from what I understand the new one is more of a proper driver's car than the previous one I drove while I worked in Germany. I'd prefer they put the original day one model's looks with the new one's handling and engine.

But I still wouldn't buy one.
I'll stick my ahead above the parapet and admit on here that I am buying one - due in 3 weeks

I test drove the original when I bought my S and it didn't compare. The MkII is (IMO) a leap forward but CiderBoy is right to say it is not an outright sports car, "sporty" maybe in the same way as a hot hatch might be but not when compared to the likes of your lotuses / loti (what is the plural?) or the S.

One of the main reasons we sold the S was lack of use during the week because I commute by train and my wife didn't feel comfortable driving it. She is happy in the TT and for me it is still capable of a spirited weekend drive with the top down. The handling is very nimble and I felt the balance was better than the 3.2 quattro which whilst good wasn't as agile - again my opinion but my experience is all I have to go on.

I actually prefer the MKII styling but the cabin is not quite as plush as the MKI. CB - does your car have the extended leather i.e. on the transmission tunnel and on the cowel over the instruments? Otherwise its a rubberised plastic finish - the leather does lift the cabin.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:56 AM
B B

I've yet to see one driven by a man, for they do seem a bit rounded and girly to me. Aimed at totty for whom the badge is important, an alternative to the Merc. & who wouldn't be seen dead in a common MX-5.
Seem to remember one appeared briefly in Coronation Street. It was supposed to belong to the son of the betting shop owner, & the script had the father laughing at his son's hairdressers car.
Spotted a version with the added skirts, spoilers, mesh grilles & sundry go-faster stuff which made it look a bit hard, but not by much.

BUT I was impressed with the cabin and high level of equipment, to be expected of course compared with the ageing S2000. The rather naff & now very dated plethora of faux allen screwheads seems to have been minimised.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Biffa,Feb 10 2008, 11:07 AM
CB - does your car have the extended leather i.e. on the transmission tunnel and on the cowel over the instruments? Otherwise its a rubberised plastic finish - the leather does lift the cabin.
No, it has the plastic finish. Not what I expected.

The hot hatch comparison is the right one... albeit a heavy one!

TT seems like the right direction for you.

My Mrs is keen on keeping the TT for exactly the same reason. She was just about ok driving the S2000 now and then... she won't go anywhere near the Lotus.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Walter de' Silva (now VW) summed it up by saying how he felt cars "of the last decade were overdesigned & he wanted to get away from that"

I'm glad he agrees I'm right!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

A few pictures of my loaner....

It still looks like a beetle from some angles, but the sharper lines are a big improvement.

I like!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Feb 10 2008, 07:30 PM
The hot hatch comparison is the right one... albeit a heavy one!

TT seems like the right direction for you.

My Mrs is keen on keeping the TT for exactly the same reason. She was just about ok driving the S2000 now and then... she won't go anywhere near the Lotus.
Its not too much heavier than the S but then compared to your Lotus anything is going to seem weighty!

Ironically my wife loved the Lotus when we had one for a weekend but we want to tour with a little more comfort than the Elise offers. All round the TT offers the best package for us.

Quick Reply: Audi TT 2.0T Roadster