Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The best internal combustion engine

Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default The best internal combustion engine

Will be the one you have now! Based on the government now about to announce the banning of all new sales of petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040. What manufacturer is going to invest millions in new engine development when it will be scrapped in 20 years?
All new investment is going to be in more efficient battery storage and electric motors or hydrogen powered system.
The generation in their early teens now will be the last to briefly be petrol heads.
We are the last of an era, many will say "and a good thing too."
Old 07-26-2017, 03:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/07/26/by.../#.WXh_Fk2QwdU

A typical engine life cycle is around 10 years so 23 years is 2 engine generations away.
Plus the UK is a pretty small car market on a global scale.
Reckon the yanks will have them for a few years more than that
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's the French and the Chinese too and our Glorious Leaders are me-tooing them.

They cannot plan for next week, let alone a generation away.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

At 70 years old I dont give a shit!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Me too Might stop by and help with tasting a few rums

edit: As there is a lurking green side to me we looked at the Smart electric when Carol was choosing. Range? (max) - 80 miles. She gets worried when the gauge show only 3 bars of 8 which is approx 90 miles left. So guess what, she chose petrol.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The thing is, a Tesla's performance and range would be more than fine for my needs right now. The cost of them is really the only barrier to me getting one (and I don't really want something that large). The Model 3 does not have sufficient range, however.

I have no doubt that the range of electric cars will continue to improve and they will be entirely viable.

The main problem is the charging infrastructure and whether generating capabilities can be improved to cope with the additional demand.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Me too Might stop by and help with tasting a few rums

edit: As there is a lurking green side to me we looked at the Smart electric when Carol was choosing. Range? (max) - 80 miles. She gets worried when the gauge show only 3 bars of 8 which is approx 90 miles left. So guess what, she chose petrol.
And me, the only electric vehicle I'll have will be a mobility scooter. Anyway there will be umpteen different governments and policies before then, rebellious manufactures so as a lot of press are saying it will probably never happen unless the oil runs out.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
The thing is, a Tesla's performance and range would be more than fine for my needs right now. The cost of them is really the only barrier to me getting one (and I don't really want something that large). The Model 3 does not have sufficient range, however.

I have no doubt that the range of electric cars will continue to improve and they will be entirely viable.

The main problem is the charging infrastructure and whether generating capabilities can be improved to cope with the additional demand.
Toyota is hoping to have an EV with solid-state (dry cell) batteries in production by 2020.

That ought to be a major breakthrough viz mass and charging time.

EVs may not be as useless as they now currently (sorry!) appear.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the improvements in EV's over the last 5 or 6 years, and the increasing manufacturer support for them now, I have little doubt that in 20-odd years they will be entirely viable.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:26 AM

Indeed - it's always been the laws of physics that have made EVs useless other than as milk floats. Even most of those are Diseasel these days...

However, better quantum understanding means that the laws of physics may in part be wrong and nanotechnology may increase power density and prevent rapid cycling of the battery overheating its terminals.

Which just leaves the charging infrastructure to be sorted out.

Quick Reply: The best internal combustion engine