Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

BMW issues - Any advice welcome

Old 01-04-2017, 03:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a chap on the M3 forum from Southampton, I've used him a few times to code things mine. Seems to know what he's doing and isn't that expensive.

He might be able to help you with it..
Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Wilf which forum/user?
p.s 1.5 is not a valid size option. I think it is an exact character match not an arithmetic scale so SIZE=1 for example in square brackets works for me. IIRC correctly the other single characters allowed are 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.

edit: that said the square brackets and contents are invisible in my sig now but it is still small

Last edited by arsie; 01-04-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 AM

Hi name is Itany on there

I need to just get rid of that sig!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:51 AM

Ta is that M3cutters?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 AM

Yep

He did: flappy mirrors on lock, brake lights flash at hard braking, bmw apps and sat nav update and the GTS gearbox software which makes for really really smooth gear changes!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
There's a chap on the M3 forum from Southampton, I've used him a few times to code things mine. Seems to know what he's doing and isn't that expensive.

He might be able to help you with it..
Thanks. Based on t'internet think I will be ok for what I'm doing but that's handy to know.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I may be about to encounter this coding cobblers as I have to change some parts on an 08 beemer.

Seems little more than a racket to tie people to main agents. So much for the EU protecting consumers' interests.
I think this is more a 'by-product' of the engineering rather than a deliberate attempt Pete. The market for adding oem non spec parts is rather small.
It's just how the computers are programmed. Even a tow-hitch feeds into the CANBUS now, and so the computers know its towing (once hooked up) and can rejig brake systems etc to suit.
As for injectors, they are coded individually to the car allow for slight manufacturing tolerances in the flow rate. That way everything is optimised. All come with a unique 'value' to enter.

What IS clearly suspect is the very recent electronic service history.
My 420 had work last year and I now see the service dates/times/dealer all on the screen in the service menu.
But most Indys are using Autologic or similar software tools - and they cannot (yet) program those entries onto the car's iDrive menu.
Not major but I'm sure quite intentional!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

We are spoiled by the Universal Serial Bus - this is more like having to configure parallel ports in 3.xx to get your bloody printer to work and not conflict with other shit.

Too much, the magic bus!

Did I mention the story I was told about the guy who gave his Bavarian Cortina a haircut and apparently when he too it in for a service, the mileage did not agree with the one it had given when it simply drove by another BMW agent. Apparently, they tell tales...Grosse Bruder wacht Sie!
Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr
My 420 had work last year and I now see the service dates/times/dealer all on the screen in the service menu.
But most Indys are using Autologic or similar software tools - and they cannot (yet) program those entries onto the car's iDrive menu.
Not major but I'm sure quite intentional!
Steve, there is lots of info out there on how to reset dates, by a combo of insert the fob/ press start but foot off brake (so it won't start)/ press and hold the manual mileage knob/ etc etc Also vids on Youtube e.g.
As I move away from main dealer and warranty to using a local Indy dealer I would be *very* surprised if the dealer doesn't know. I would expect he will reset them as a matter of course although he may not want to follow the BMW prescribed intervals that are built in.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Steve, there is lots of info out there on how to reset dates, by a combo of insert the fob/ press start but foot off brake (so it won't start)/ press and hold the manual mileage knob/ etc etc Also vids on Youtube e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSTfmgVrGA As I move away from main dealer and warranty to using a local Indy dealer I would be *very* surprised if the dealer doesn't know. I would expect he will reset them as a matter of course although he may not want to follow the BMW prescribed intervals that are built in.
Not the interval dates of individual items Rog.
The 2014 car has another page.
Its a list of service visits, clicking on each then drills into what parts were replaced, dealer code, mileage, etc etc.
Nobody seems to be able to program those entries.
IKWYM about the other stuff, I could reset and edit with the BT cable and laptop on the E92 no problem. this is additional.
Steve

Quick Reply: BMW issues - Any advice welcome