Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

BMW Z4 35iS

Old 07-11-2014, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW Z4 35iS

Right, a review of the Z4 35iS after 600 miles and a week !

A change from the poor Fiesta ST which lasted 4 months ... So, what is the Z4 like ?

I owned a Z4M Roadster (thus the profile pic) and though I loved the looks I didn't get on with the manual gearbox so it went. I tried a Z4 35i but it didn't seem 'really quick', just 'quite quick' - so I left it alone. I have returned to a 35iS as with a 35bhp hike over the 35i it just seemed to have that bit more bite to interest me at 335bhp and 0-62 in 4.8.

Looks : I much prefer the newer E89 Z4 to the original. Subjective I know but there are few convertibles out there now that appeal and I am not paying the prices of the new shape Boxsters - much as I think they look great. I like the tin top and it makes the car feel secure and quiet when on a run with it up. There are no squeaks or groans and operation is 20 seconds. The downside of the roof is that when down it eats the boot space !

Suspension : Seriously hard on the 35i and not 'adjustable' whereas the 35iS with the adaptable suspension with 'normal', 'sport' and 'sport plus' was much more compliant. Normal is great. Sport is superb for pushing on and altering the steering / gear change speed as well. Compared to the Z4M - far more compliant whilst remaining OK. The run flats are hard but there is not too much skipping around in normal mode. No tram lining as was mention in one review. I am generally more than happy with the ride, especially compared to the Z4M.

Handling : This is no S2000. It will handle but is a big and long car. It is good for it's size but make no mistake it has a reasonable amount of weight to deal with. It feels OK but more than 335bhp and I think it will struggle. It handles as well as I need but anyone after chucking it about on a B road will have their work cut out. It will do it but it makes you work hard.

Steering : The Z4M was heavy to steer with an unusually fat steering wheel. The steering wheel on the 35iS is just the right thickness and seems far better weighted than the Z4M R. Compared to the 35i it just feel, well, better all round and more natural. On the 35iS the weight of the steering varies according to the mode and in Sport mode it is ideal. I haven't tried out Sport Plus yet !

Exhaust - I did not really notice the 35i exhaust whereas the 35iS was great - not massively louder but far more noticeable (you would have to try to see what I mean). I love the 35iS exhaust at +10db. It is allegedly BMW's aftermarket sports exhaust but comes as standard on the 35iS. I was worried by a review that said it was boomy at 2500-3000rpm. What utter rubbish. It is an absolute ideal mix of sporty but not aftermarket boom. There is not boom at all - just a quality that is missing with the 35i. It turns heads as low speed with it's base tone and burble. This changes to a howl at higher revs but not one that is ever intrusive - and this from someone who hates noisy exhausts - TVR's apart It sounded great in the Hindhead tunnel last weekend that's for sure

Gear change - I am an auto person. I used to drive BMW autos at work in 530d's for years and am very used to autos now. The manual in the Fiesta ST after my 330d was actually superb but I missed 2 pedals ! The DCT is great. Ultra smooth changing up and seamless. The only complaint compared to a 'normal' torque converter auto is the down change can take a while whilst kicking down (due to it being a twin clutch box). This does just give you a chance to hold onto the steering wheel a little firmer for the surge when it comes The changes are considerably quicker in Sport and Sport + modes. Combine this with moving the gear selector to Sport and the box holds the revs 500rpm more. It makes for an amusing time when you feel the need

The paddles on the steering wheel are not liked by some but provide near instant changes. Both sides are push for down changes and pull back to go up the box. Some complain this is odd but I like it.

Acceleration : Unsurprisingly rapid but not massively different to the 35i. Whereas the 35i feels fast the 35iS feels really fast and with more bite. 35bhp does notice more to the top of the rev range I would suggest. Compared to the Z4M R - well, it feels quicker to me especially the mid range. The 3.2 straight six in the Z4M was a superb engine but non turbo and very linear - thus it often felt slower than it was. Tests suggest the Z4M was only a fraction slower than the 35iS once into it's stride - but the 35iS certainly feels a fair but quicker ! US tests have the 35iS as low as 4.3 to 60 where the Z4M never managed anything better than 4.8. Not a lot but maybe this is an indication the 35iS is better.

DMS will uprate the 35iS from 335bhp to 402bhp. They are able to map higher than the 335i due to the improved breathing and exhaust on the 35iS + due to a couple of other tweaks BMW added to the 35iS. Will I be doing that - I think not ! The power level is ideal at 335bhp and all you could want. I think more will make it undriveable in the lower gears and tbh I think the chassis has reached all it can comfortably cope with at 335bhp. I do not doubt the DMS conversion is superb ... but how much of the time that power is useable is debatable. I would also worry about the strain on an engine that is known to have had a few issues over the years. I am hoping mine as a later N54 engine is going to be more reliable!

Build : Far better than the Z4M R and hardly surprising given it is a newer design. I have to say the fit and finish is great and given it is a convertible there are no creaks at all!

Reliability : The engine as I have mentioned and most will know is not angelic and has had a few issues - High pressure fuel pumps, injectors and coil packs spring to mind. In one week I have killed a coil pack which was replaced in 36 hours by BMW and I have had a small leak from the roof. I am hoping these are just teething issues as the car had sat for over a month before I bought it + with the radio being tuned to Radio 3 and Radio 4 make me think maybe the previous owner had a different driving style to me !! They may not have but I always wonder when a car is driven totally differently how it is going to cope.

Am I happy, even after losing the car for the best part of 2 days for a fault. Yes, I am. I love it and was gutted to lose it for a minor fault so early. Being back in a convertible is great and this car is everything to me that I wanted out of the Z4M. I look forward to a summer full of rain now I have a drop top
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Good review.

Have you noticed it has started to rain...
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting read.

Glad the breakdown was more of an irritation than serious.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Good review.

Have you noticed it has started to rain...
All it has done is poured ... standard for me and convertibles ! Lol
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting review for me as a Z4M coupe owner.

I'm quite comfortable with the gear change on mine so that isn't a negative for me.

Interesting that you found the Z4M linear. I find it quite rev happy and there are a distinct couple of steps in output as you go up through the rev range. One at about 3.5k and another at 5.5k. I assume the 35iS engine is a typically torquey turbo engine, hence the feeling of more power because there is a lot more low down?

The Z4M handling is flawed but fun because of it. How does the 35iS compare from a fun perspective? You obviously rate it more highly than your Z4M but does it deliver as a sports car or is it better suited as a Grand Tourer in the old fashioned sense?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

As a former M3 E93 owner I will be interesting how you get on with the boot space. For me, that was a serious pita, with the tin top taking up the majority of the space when retracted. Luckily we had the back seat but even so with the dogs along this was a fatal flaw and led me on to the coupe configuration. The only downside of that is that I miss hearing the exhaust so clearly
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by arsie
As a former M3 E93 owner I will be interesting how you get on with the boot space. For me, that was a serious pita, with the tin top taking up the majority of the space when retracted. Luckily we had the back seat but even so with the dogs along this was a fatal flaw and led me on to the coupe configuration. The only downside of that is that I miss hearing the exhaust so clearly
Boot space is poor but ok. You can get two reasonably sized day bags in it with the roof down and luggage is available to buy for £120 that uses every inch of what is available. When I go away the roof will have to stay up until I get to my destination as with it up I get loads more.

The exhaust is very noisy on this - not a V8 but noisier IMO than an M3 unless the M3 is pushing on
Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Interesting review for me as a Z4M coupe owner.

I'm quite comfortable with the gear change on mine so that isn't a negative for me.

Interesting that you found the Z4M linear. I find it quite rev happy and there are a distinct couple of steps in output as you go up through the rev range. One at about 3.5k and another at 5.5k. I assume the 35iS engine is a typically torquey turbo engine, hence the feeling of more power because there is a lot more low down?

The Z4M handling is flawed but fun because of it. How does the 35iS compare from a fun perspective? You obviously rate it more highly than your Z4M but does it deliver as a sports car or is it better suited as a Grand Tourer in the old fashioned sense?
I do a lot of 'town' driving so the gearchange on the Z4M was a major issue. Pushing on was fine. The best way to describe the 35iS engine compared to the Z4M is that it is simply quicker. On paper figures vary but US figures put the Z4M at 4.8 to 60 whereas they put the 35iS at 4.3 to 4.6. It just feels stronger, especially off the mark. Above 60 I guess they are the same but I have seen a video on a track where the 35iS pulls away noticeably from a Z4M R on every straight ... but it is not so strong on the corners.

I find the Z4M handled better than the 35iS which feels more barge like. Both are large cars but when you took the Z4M by the scruff of the neck it loved it and was very good. The 35iS in comparison does not give that confidence in normal mode. Sport mode is probably most similar to the Z4M and the car handles quite well then. I preferred the handling of the Z4M but found when 'extending' the 35iS it surprised me at how good it is for it's weight. Def more tourer than the Z4M though.