Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Broken springs

Old 02-21-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

If it is a 2011 car surely it is cost effective to fix any real problems? Unless the advisories are £thousands more than the resale value. I always think that the devil you do know is better than buying another secondhand car that you don't know, unless you are an expert in the marque.

But then again if you know it has been consistently neglected perhaps best move on now with 12 months MOT

edit: yep. Carol's Ka springs were replaced a few times after speed bumps came to our village main street
Old 02-21-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Have a look at the picture above

They failed it on the springs and a nail in the tyre and it's got a list of advisories as long as my arm

Time for a new car maybe!
We cannot! Put in in Photobucket or something...
Old 02-21-2017, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think underneath it's pretty much a focus so could well be!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
We cannot! Put in in Photobucket or something...
Oh hang on, I put it on google photos which used to be fine when it was still picasa and the old forum, now seems a lot more difficult

Old 02-21-2017, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by arsie
If it is a 2011 car surely it is cost effective to fix any real problems? Unless the advisories are £thousands more than the resale value. I always think that the devil you do know is better than buying another secondhand car that you don't know, unless you are an expert in the marque.

But then again if you know it has been consistently neglected perhaps best move on now with 12 months MOT

edit: yep. Carol's Ka springs were replaced a few times after speed bumps came to our village main street

This is what I tell her, you buy a new car it'll need maintenance too and all the things that need doing now will just happen again
It needs a new cv gaitor, new wheel cos one's got a buckle on the inside, bit of condensation in a indicator, inner brake pads gone on 2 calipers while the outside ones are fine so they're probably binding...

Guess trading it in for a year old something else would be easier than having all these things fixed in a garage that charges at least £70 an hour and probably takes their sweet time becasue they want to rip you off as much as they can
Old 02-21-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds like your problem is to find a trustyworthy independent Volvo garage which sorry to say I can't help but advisory work doesn't sound more than a few £hundreds labour at £75/hour plus parts. Gaddafi could do it in half a day - up on jacks, wheels off, gaiter, pads, brake fluid and bleed. All front I assume that's where the wear is usually.

On reflection I know and used for many years Gold Crest Motors in St Albans for my old and older Volvo 245s (Is that a black S2000 in one of their pics?!). Also Mike Chapman Autos nearby for my VWs. Fair hike from your neck of the woods but both are only 15 minutes walk/few mins bus ride from St Albans station. My son lived in West Hampstead then Harrow used to come out to use them. You could easily save enough for the train (Thameslink) over what your locals charge, and get good service not ripoff rates for slipshod work. St Albans has nice shops and there is a very good street market Wednesdays and Saturdays for the doris Leave the car a Thursday night collect on Saturday.

Or go with the flow Wilf, get her to buy nearly new say 24-30 months and pay for a Volvo service plan
Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like its getting to that age/mileage when things start going; springs, calipers seizing, gaiters cracking, DMF/clutch going etc? It's the reason I sold the car I was running 3 years ago and went for a 1 year old car with 7 year warranty. When something keeps breaking and the wife needs it for work I don't have the time to be fixing things on an evening. Paying for a main dealer service once a year and depreciation is comparable in cost and less stress than replacing parts on the driveway in winter.

Only reason I kept the Ka is that it is the snow/tip run/general don't give a sh1t about car; Replacing the two coil springs was a dodgy experience, I was paranoid it would come out the compressor and hit me.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 AM

This is it, the garage the car was in for the MOT said they'll do both springs for £370, we ring around a little and you get so many different prices how on earth are you meant to find out what something costs, volvo themselves want £500 for the job! I can't see it being more than 2 hours work and the springs are no more than 50 each... But then they also quoted £350 for just an oil and filter change so they are just playing into the more money than sense theme that's clearly obvious in most people in Surrey
Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you can get two coil springs on eBay for your car for £67. If you/some friends want to try replacing them yourself I don't mind posting you my spring compressors down if you pay postage, but that would probably cost half the price of buying a set - Laser Coil Spring Compressor

It isn't too difficult to do if you or a mate have some experience;
S50 -
S40 -
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 AM

I thought about doing it myself but I can't be bothered spending half a day under that car, have better things to do these days!

She's booked it in at another garage that wants £250 for it, I guess you get a different price when they are quoting to get work in or quoting because they have you over a barrel.

Quick Reply: Broken springs