S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Dealers' economy with the truth (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/dealers-economy-truth-1164229/)

mikey k 10-20-2016 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by keyCuk (Post 24087025)
I drove all the way from Brighton to Nottingham (400 mile round trip)to look at an s2000 a couple of weeks ago.
The lying morons said it was in great condition mechanically with loads of bills and service history but a few easoly sorted cosmetic issues.
I got there, Gave it a good check over and long test drive. The clutch was slipping and the brakes were all over the place. They said after the test drive there was no negotiation on the price, then when they took off the hard top the roof underneath was completely ruined and leaking like a sieve!
They also couldn't understand why I was walking away.
In the end I bought one privately from 20 miles away.

Wasn't green by any chance ;)

Nottm_S2 10-20-2016 10:52 AM

I''ll sell that for twice what i asked you

Kidding :)

I too dislike dealers.

unclefester 10-20-2016 10:31 PM

Equally, i never had any issue with passing them a royal turd of a trade in over the years so it works both ways. That said, comparing WBAC prices for the last 2 i've traded in, WBAC would have been a better deal and then you can walk into a dealer armed with cash. Worth bearing in mind. I would use WBAC again if the general experience is the same as the Stevenage one.

gaddafi 10-21-2016 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 24088878)
Equally, i never had any issue with passing them a royal turd of a trade in over the years so it works both ways. That said, comparing WBAC prices for the last 2 i've traded in, WBAC would have been a better deal and then you can walk into a dealer armed with cash. Worth bearing in mind. I would use WBAC again if the general experience is the same as the Stevenage one.

Virtually all dealers are liars.

Most private sellers are clueless about cars.

And in the trade-in scenario the dealer is the expert.

Nick Graves 10-21-2016 01:34 AM

Seems odd that WBAC should now have a better rep than most stealers!

I've seen a couple of NSXs go that way recently - end up at a "bespoke-prestige" :rofl: stealers with a 20 bag mark-up the following week. Which is a shame...

cheshire_carper 10-21-2016 01:53 AM

I've recently sold my S4 privately, both of us were car enthusiasts, I listed at a market realistic price, he paid the price. It was an ultra smooth deal.

The car was well historied, looked after, everything needed was bought for it, i.e. Continentals all round, new discs, pads, full dealer history (for what that's work :p).

When both sides know the drill, the sale is very, very smooth.

unclefester 10-21-2016 02:08 AM

I think with WBAC - it's a transparent process, they are buying off you and the price they give you intially comes down with every fault they find. As long as you are taking in something where you base your expectation on the condition they will find it in .. it's fairly painless.

As i said, trade in prices seem to be markedly worse.

lovegroova 10-21-2016 02:49 AM

Funnily enough, my mother is picking a new car tomorrow. She's picking it up from a VW dealer 75 miles from her even though there is a dealer about half a mile from her. Here's why:
  1. After a test drive, she used carwow to get some prices. A 20% discount was offered by the 75 mile dealer, including collection of the trade in (more a scrap car than anything else) and delivery of the new one.
  2. Local dealer was offered a chance to match the price.
  3. She was told that "we don't match quotes"
  4. She was told that any warranty work would have to be carried out by the 75 mile dealer (a total lie)
  5. She was told that 75 mile dealer would be making a loss (another total lie)
  6. Various "in stock" cars were offered in the wrong colour and with the wrong options, all for more money than the car she wanted
A story of 2 dealers, I guess...

Nick Graves 10-21-2016 03:23 AM

I like the 'dealer making a loss' line! Like that's your mother's problem...

I think these people have their alimentary canals wired backwards.

gaddafi 10-21-2016 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper (Post 24088929)
I've recently sold my S4 privately, both of us were car enthusiasts, I listed at a market realistic price, he paid the price. It was an ultra smooth deal.

The car was well historied, looked after, everything needed was bought for it, i.e. Continentals all round, new discs, pads, full dealer history (for what that's work :p).

When both sides know the drill, the sale is very, very smooth.

I'm inclined to agree. I rarely have a car for sale for more than a week or two

Most of mine are older and self-serviced/maintained with a sprinkling of receipts from garages for more complex work but there are plenty of buyers for these cars. They are reassured by someone who has owned the car and knows its foibles. I find it an advantage to list all faults (mostly jobs that would be nice to do idc in reality) even if you have to be careful not to make the car sound bad.

Dealers just can't bring themselves to tell the truth. The best you can hope for is a slightly misleading or understated description of the problem. So deep scratches requiring paint are "what you would expect with a ten year old car", air con can always be fixed with a re-gas and electrical problems are "just a sensor" or "£10 for the part on ebay". More often than not, the faults won't be declared at all.

ATEOTD it will be price. Everything sells if you're not greedy.