S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   The Formula 1 Thread - 2018 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/formula-1-thread-2018-a-1182284/)

Heinz '57 07-29-2018 11:02 PM

Thank god for MotoGP. At least they know what a "race" is and don't rely on tactical mobile roadblocks to win.

As I don't pay for my viewing I rely on CH4 for live coverage and highlights. Is it only me that thinks that Steve Jones is a stupidly irritating commentator only suited to children's TV? Their coverage has been steadily dumbed down until it now resembles a puerile reality show.Their bias towards Mercedes and Lewis is embarrassing epitomised by Coulthard trying to find any reason to blame Seb for the coming together with Valtteri.One comment I heard was that he had every right to take the line but should not have done so!!

fluffyninja 09-01-2018 01:06 PM

I’ve a pet theory I’ve been thinking through recently around Ferrari’s recent power advantage. I’d be interested in people’s opinions and poking holes in it. It is the kind of thing unlikely to be proven for the time being but more a thought exercise.

I’ve started from 2 assumptions.
1) The car is totally legal since it has been checked a few times by the FIA
2) The advantage is from the hybrid electrical system since that is where so much focus has been on

The MGU-K is allowed to discharge 4MJ from the battery each lap
The MGU-K can recover 2MJ to the battery each lap
An unlimited amount of energy can be transferred between the MGU-H and the battery and/or MGU-K.

My theory is they are using the MGU-H to generate sufficient energy to the MGU-K without using the battery to give a noticeable advantage. The rules say that is allowed and whilst it may not be the full beams power that the battery gives it may give some level of bonus.

The main thing I have against this theory is it seems too obvious.

I did notice some coincidental changes that may support something like this going on. There were some aero changes around the back of the car and exhaust changes. They may have been used to boost exhaust blowing of the rear wing. If you are using more energy from the exhaust to power the MGU-H then there may be less energy to blow the wing. If it unbalanced the cars aero they may have had to correct it.

Any thoughts people?

richmc 09-02-2018 03:14 AM

Is it just me who finds the column graphics really annoying?
At critical points when you want to see the DRS timings they flip to team logos, we know from the team colours who they are! and when they have a tussle for say fifth sixth and seventh, they show us pictures of the drivers and NOT the gap between them FFS!
Anyone else noticed this?
And during a particular crucial point show what tyres they are on, or how many pit stops they have made instead of gap times, useful information but at a totally inappropriate time.

fluffyninja 09-02-2018 06:54 AM

Well that was pretty cool.
Lots of tension with Hamilton stalking Kimi most of the race with lots of overtakes or at least attempts :)

andy2000 09-02-2018 02:04 PM

Particularly enjoyed the Kimi sandwich between the two Mercs ! must be frustrating for Bottas to be taking one for the team so regularly.

Also loved Verstappen's defiance at the end...I pity Gazley next season - he'll be in for a rough ride.

arsie 09-04-2018 05:42 AM

Rare for the whole race to be gripping (not intended but a nice pun :)). This is turning out to be a properly contested year, the first for a while.

Hamilton's strategy to get amongst the Ferraris before their straight line engine superiority started to tell paid off, but only because of a slight Vettel error and a moment of under steer. If you go back and add up all the mistakes Vettel has made I would think the tables would be reversed and he would be 30 points ahead not Hamilton. Jolyon Palmer's piece for the BBC analyses it nicely.

So in the remaining races Hamilton can afford the equivalent of up to three 3rd place finishes (15 points) behind Vettel-Raikonen 1-2 (for 25 and 18 points respectively) and still be level with Vettel though possibly behind on a count back of positions. Going into Singapore off the back of two races where Ferrari straight line superiority should have earned a better points haul I would think the Mercedes management are the happier too. Reliability will be key in the run in.

Here's looking forward to a fascinating contest with who knows what twists and turns to come (no pun intended!)

arsie 09-04-2018 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by fluffyninja (Post 24506521)
I’ve a pet theory I’ve been thinking through recently around Ferrari’s recent power advantage. I’d be interested in people’s opinions and poking holes in it. It is the kind of thing unlikely to be proven for the time being but more a thought exercise.

I’ve started from 2 assumptions.
1) The car is totally legal since it has been checked a few times by the FIA
2) The advantage is from the hybrid electrical system since that is where so much focus has been on

The MGU-K is allowed to discharge 4MJ from the battery each lap
The MGU-K can recover 2MJ to the battery each lap
An unlimited amount of energy can be transferred between the MGU-H and the battery and/or MGU-K.

My theory is they are using the MGU-H to generate sufficient energy to the MGU-K without using the battery to give a noticeable advantage. The rules say that is allowed and whilst it may not be the full beams power that the battery gives it may give some level of bonus.

The main thing I have against this theory is it seems too obvious.

I did notice some coincidental changes that may support something like this going on. There were some aero changes around the back of the car and exhaust changes. They may have been used to boost exhaust blowing of the rear wing. If you are using more energy from the exhaust to power the MGU-H then there may be less energy to blow the wing. If it unbalanced the cars aero they may have had to correct it.

Any thoughts people?

:tipwink: to this level of knowledge of the internals but if true why can't Mercedes implement similar?
Hamilton had a good grumpy look round the Ferrari in parc ferme after his loss at Spa though whether his eye is tech enough who knows.

fluffyninja 09-05-2018 03:38 AM

That is the one doubt I have so far since it seems too obvious
Maybe it is due to being a simple concept to consider but as with anything else to actually implement may be quite difficult.
I guess you'd need a particularly efficient turbo to still supply the compressed air to the engine and charge the battery whilst also generating an excess of electrical energy that could then be syphoned to the MGU-K whilst (or maybe something that managed the waste gate/intake pressures and allowed additional generation). Exactly how it would be best done I'm not so sure about.

Something that occurred to be over the weekend at Monza. The Mercs seemed to get a lot of de-rates (essentially running out of electrical energy) that were noted in commentary. The Ferraris didn't. Again, maybe co-incidental but...................

lovegroova 09-11-2018 01:29 AM

Kimi off to Sauber

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45477134

andy2000 09-12-2018 02:52 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45494135

Been trying to work out of my sky HD subscription will continue to allow access to Sky F1 HD. It's done so in previous years but fully expect Sky to charge extra for it soon.