S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Interesting M135i story on Pistonheads (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/interesting-m135i-story-pistonheads-1178185/)

Nick Graves 10-03-2017 03:08 AM

Interesting M135i story on Pistonheads

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...99733#message1

1. Explanation of why so many German suspensions don't work properly and how to fix it.

2. Moot point about how utterly worshipped the car was by hacks at the time, yet is now considered to be defective in a crucial area...

gaddafi 10-03-2017 04:46 AM

they paid £17.5k for a five year old car and then started spending on it?

:smoking:

Nottm_S2 10-03-2017 06:41 AM

That is an interesting idea about how the test compromises the setup

i think my BM is too stiff for our roads but it does manage tremendous grip, including on some quite crude tarmac near where i live which used to give my
S the jitters until the geo was tweaked a bit

at least we know the S aint tested 4 up @ 200kph :D

WinFreak 10-04-2017 01:55 AM

I don't think I've ever driven a car that's not too stiff for these shitty roads here, one might cope with it a bit better than the other but you're always thumping from one roads surface patch to the next and it's never very comfortable.

There's one joint or surface change or whatever you call it on the A3/M25 slip road that makes my traction control light come on, every single day.

Even on roads that have just been resurfaced you're still bumping up and down because they couldn't be arsed to smooth it out properly underneath the tarmac. And then it's never long before they dig a hole in it and patch it up 5cm higher or lower than the rest of the road...

Nick Graves 10-04-2017 04:34 AM

The NSX is amazingly good - my best-riding car. I think the 'walking' front suspension absorbs a lot of the impact. I sometimes slow down because the bodyshell is actually vibrating, at the right frequency.

But the authorities actually pay the contractors for this shit - talk about crony-capitalist corruption...

Nottm_S2 10-04-2017 05:08 AM

Fair point win.. even feel it in the kumqat

i enjoyed the A46 project in Newark.. they put a new dual carriageway in and it had an immediate swooping bend off the roundabout

after 20 cars (presumably mostly lacking TC) met the barrier over a few months they put a 40 limit and shell tyre slayer on it :D

shame as i enjoyed m-dynamic heroism there for a while

WinFreak 10-04-2017 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves (Post 24363062)
The NSX is amazingly good - my best-riding car. I think the 'walking' front suspension absorbs a lot of the impact. I sometimes slow down because the bodyshell is actually vibrating, at the right frequency.

But the authorities actually pay the contractors for this shit - talk about crony-capitalist corruption...

I get that on the concrete sections of the m25, anything over 75/80 and the whole car seems to buzz like crazy. Luckily most days I don't get to go much over 50.

Yup and pay way too much for it too which means they can't afford to do it properly

arsie 10-04-2017 12:07 PM

It'll deteriorate markedly and Brexit will get the blame :)

Funnily enough after a month driving the Doris' Smart car the S feels quite composed. Must be the Lovegroova set up :LOL:

I don't miss the M3 even on 18" wheels on the softest EDC ride setting the thing shook my tits unbearably ...

Nottm_S2 10-04-2017 01:07 PM

tbh my hatred of fwd makes me like it regardless of shit seats, high driving position (most hot hatches), budget feel, awkward looks and fragile motor

if you're in that market it's Guff R or its stable-copies, if you believe the hype
focus if you like steriods and burberry
Astra if you dont like cars
alfa if you dont like money.. or quality

etc

Nick Graves 10-04-2017 03:33 PM

Actually, the new CTR has a surprisingly recumbent driving position, for a modern c-segment pox-box. Almost like an old Accord.

Quite ergonomic, if one can look past the slightly shiny, translucent plastic bits.

And the entire exterior, of course...