Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Soft southern snow !e not

Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Soft southern snow !e not

Well Essex is in the poop 50mm of snow! Which means we are totally stuffed.

just popped into Stansted for fuel and some milk in the Pissshit , was ok no drama using some due care and attention to,speed and inputs.

But off course not driving fast enough for:-

1) dick head in discovery coming the other way at 30+mph overtaking but hey ho , he got the bird
2) coming back overtaken by a WeeW pickup doing sill speeds wandering all over place as he ploughed through the build ups in the middle of the road , he got the oscillating hand sign
3) best of all then over taken by a Skoda , going at 40+ , ooo what retribution , 400metres up the road Skoda pirouettes and goes head first into ditch and woods , oooo I didn’t laugh, until next to them opened window and smiled , wife didn’t want me to say “ ooo you didn’t want to doo that did you “ was the best laugh all week ! Ribs hurt now .
Old 12-10-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

No snow here, yet, seems to have missed the central belt but we're getting hard frost and freezing fog, at Murrayfield for the rugby last night and it was bitterly cold, glad you're having fun in the white stuff.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Restauranteur last night, was complaining they'd had cancellations "because of weather". There wasn't any...

Then you get idiots like the aforementioned.

Funny how it's invariably Moronmobiles, like Land Rovers and VW Anoraks...
Old 12-11-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves

Funny how it's invariably Moronmobiles, like Land Rovers and VW Anoraks...
That's because 2 tons of Chelsea tractor obviously has significantly more traction when braking on its road going summer tyres and can defy physical laws such as momentum. Ohhhh hang on wait................

Had some fun and games with similar in the country lanes I live on. We had snow as deep as a typical side wall of a saloon car by late morning. No gritting/ploughing down the lanes so any driving was done VERY carefully (except by the fast and feckless stickered Vauxhall insignia with drivers seat around horizontal and knuckles up north on the steering wheel that looked like it wanted to mate with the back of my car). Also got a few hand gestures myself from the guy who I splattered with a little slush. He was out for a run in the slush on a single track road where I couldn't give him any more room and I was doing barely fast enough to overtake him at that point. I'm not sure what he was expecting to happen when cars tried to use the road?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Funny, our local rag ran a story

”risk of loss of life”

we got a dusting, enough to make a snowball rather than a snow man. And this morning, risking death, i rode in.

it was a bit chilly like

twunts
Old 12-12-2017, 12:09 PM

There is a wayleave to a farm at the rear of our property.

One of Ocado's Sprinter drivers decided it was a handy spot to turn around. It wasn't.

Poor guy's been stuck there an hour now.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

One feels sorry for the poor prunes , no idea

And of course the problem with all the loverly shiny SUV,s is they have nice road biased tyres not M & S with studs as used in Scandinavia
Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

winter tyres first, then 4wd apparently for the folks who actually get snow

our problem is it's rare so when it comes we haven't (largely) spent the cash on soft tyres and the infrastructure to do anything about it
Old 12-13-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Drove home from XM through about 6" of snow in the Aygo on winter tyres, perfectly fine. I had one clown trying to block me geting onto the A507 beside the M1 near Amazon depot because "they can't get up, you'll get stuck and it's dangerous" .... get out of the way you imbecile. Any number of idiots in RWD stuff on summer tyres going nowhere but around in circles. Include stuff with AWD. Watched one crackpot in an AMG 350 SL Merc getting stuck in the carpark leaving XM, he then proceeded to skate down the hill outside the hotel and got stuck in the dip. Seemed most unimpressed that we weren't going to push him up the next 6 miles of hills back to the A4500 Once the snow compacts to ice there is not much you can do once you lose momentum, especially on hills. But then no one knows how to drive on the stuff and there is at least 7 years worth of drivers who have never driven on it at all.

Scandinavian counties do skidpan training as part of their license scheme .......

We seem to have a suicidal desire once moving to get up to dry road speeds and it's a recipe for investigating hedges and ditches. The only thing i hate about driving in shit conditions is the shit driving standards of everyone else.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:30 AM

I never got to push the 'snow' button on the Leg End.

It was a hoot to drive on ice on summers. Understeer? Dab of throttle & it rotates around the mid-point.

Quick Reply: Soft southern snow !e not