Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Went for a little Sunday drive

Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Went for a little Sunday drive

Back in March the Missus bought me a birthday pressie, got round to using it yesterday at Perranporth airfield in Cornwall. Courtesy of Car Chase Heroes. here's a little review.
https://www.carchaseheroes.com/index

First out -

Ferrari 458 Italia. 4.5L V8 0-60 3.3s
First time out in a paddle gear shift semi auto, soon got used to it and had a blast. Well planted and very quick! A very enjoyable start to the day.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 4.5L V8 0-60 4.5s
They say never meet your heroes, I've always wanted to try out an Aston, it was good but more like a luxury road car than an out and out sports car, it felt heavy but by no means slow. I've done it, had my drive but feel more satisfied than elated.
P.S. That front end looks vaguely familiar wonder where they got the idea from.

GT40 4.27L V8 0-60 8.0s
OMG! what a difficult car to drive, power nothing, and servo less brakes plus hot as hell in the cabin. The clutch was as hard as iron and a throttle like an on off switch. Got in and the instructor asked if the seat position was OK, I said yes, he said just as well as it's not adjustable. Hats off to the 24Hrs Le Mans drivers three laps were knackering enough for me! Still I did it, so I can say so!

Lamborghini Huracan 5.2L V10 0-60 3.3s
Last car of my day, another paddle gear change but with automatic down shift, all you need to do is brake. Like the Ferrari no clutch as it is a semi automatic. but as the instructor told me it's more like a computer with wheels and a lot of power, main things to look out for were the super light and responsive steering, and don't try to accelerate through the bends, but S2000 owners know all about that! And as it had started raining I was more aware of that. What a drive, the 1/2 mile straight saw me to around 120mph, despite the damp circuit the hairpin bend at the end it was go kart firm, zero loss of grip and taken at about 45mph! All the computers kept the Lambo in check and gave me the most enjoyable laps of the day. Sorry but forget the Aston Martin, I WANT one of these.

About Car Chase Heroes
The drives were incredibly well organised, everything was timed by an incredible computer system. Booking in was a bit slow and inevitably included some up-selling I did pay £25 extra for the £5000 damage waiver as it looked like the day could have been wet, and I guess knocking off a wing mirror or minor scratch would come to much more than that. There was a lot of waiting around between drives, but there were a coffee and crepes and fish and chips concessions. There's a camera car just out of the paddock where these pics came from. My wife Marion had my camera on hand but mostly produced pictures of the track where I had just been. At the end of the day you can buy the USB stick with the track pictures on and dash cam footage of your drives, a bit pricy but what the heck.
All told it was a very enjoyable day, lots of banter between participants and chatting between the wives. Would I recommend it to others, of course, even if it were just to drive the Huracan. Thanks Marion and car chase heroes for a great birthday present.

One of my wife's more successful photos I call it GT40 with cabbages (bless). -

Last edited by richmc; 08-13-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:09 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Looks fun. I did similar years ago, that Ferrari is a quick thing. I think I'd have a lambo and drive slowly in too low a gear, that way avoiding jail
Old 08-13-2018, 12:11 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Looks fun. I did similar years ago, that Ferrari is a quick thing. I think I'd have a lambo and drive slowly in too low a gear, that way avoiding jail
Especially as it can get you in serious plod trouble in less than 5 seconds!

Last edited by richmc; 08-13-2018 at 11:00 PM.