Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Lots of M's from Preston Super car meet

Old 01-31-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Agreed.

Apart from the known issue! the M3 is reliable and engineered with spare capacity in the brakes, drive train and chassis. To my man maths the thought of 550 bhp in the 1550 kG (is it?) compares favourably with 400 bhp in the 1150 kG (?) of an S2000. Coilovers and big brakes I don't think will be necessary. Satnav, decent hifi, heated seats etc bundled in as standard makes for an excellent 'GT with cajones'. Shame about the autodim side mirrors though
imo the S2000 is better engineered and much simpler

and with 400bhp will be faster everywhere than a 500bhp M3. Albeit more edgy, but that's part of the attraction.

it wouldnt be as good a mile muncher. The M3 suits a daily or a long haul but the S2 is more fun, more of the time
Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
imo the S2000 is better engineered and much simpler

and with 400bhp will be faster everywhere than a 500bhp M3. Albeit more edgy, but that's part of the attraction.

it wouldnt be as good a mile muncher. The M3 suits a daily or a long haul but the S2 is more fun, more of the time
Agree the general comparison and also the blessed absence of FREDs in an S, but really it's apples and oranges.

'Faster everywhere' is moot but includes off the road into a field. Fact. My 350bhp daily drive Vortech SC'd Mugen S2000. Yes, edgy, but all the time: so only comfortable for special occasions, not for mile in mile out every day use. I found ten miles each way every day wore a bit thin after eighteen months.

The M can be a beast or a pussy cat, but it all depends on you - it is not edgy and demanding of attention all of the time. Also note the lowest power option I am looking at SC'd is 10% more, 550bhp - at just 5.5psi boost and not even a cooler rad needed. Then options at 595 or 625 more boost intercooled. 650 with engine mods is really silly money.

Horses for courses, of course. My feeling is, one of your S's might one day morph into a Lotus or Caterfield.
Question is, which?

Last edited by arsie; 01-31-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

i see one as a family heirloom now.. i love the std car but it feels a bit boring next to the SC one. Having said that it's shit weather at the minute so you cannot really stretch it's legs. On a summer day with the roof down i never thought it needed to be quicker if you know what i mean. The SC car is lower, stiffer and a lot more NVH, it feels a lot more like a race car and as you say is a bit wearing on the commute with that exhaust, doable but headache inducing.

FI is generally quite fruitful, think about what 12psi is, maybe think in pumping up a tyre terms, nothing really. I know the S65 has a very good standard output and given it revs to over 8k it must be pretty robust so probably a good choice for a bit of FI meddling. Though why you need 650bhp i dunno haha. It's never felt short of poke to me. the compression ratio is pretty high at 12:1 in the S65.

i think M6s and the like are just upgraded versions of the same formula. So an ideal daily assuming sufficient pocket depth. The Japanese build and as you simplicity of the S2000 is quite astonishing next to many newer cars. It really does feel fully designed. Maybe that's a result of a comparison with a car that started out as a 320D and was modified to a 400bhp muscle car.. that's not meant as a criticism though it sounds like it but i think the S2 is purer. You're right in these conditions the M is quicker, i got left by some pug ugly 540e the other week as i daren't use much throttle on a big, sweeping, wet bend with a bit of traffic. he was blissfully trusting his TC, STM and whatever and good luck to him . But give me a closed autocross and i'd fancy my chances

in the dry/dry ish haha