Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

MB goes Caterham racing

Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep that bus stop one pissed me off

The extra speed through Blanchimont from the tow caught me out in terms of braking point. It shouting at myself watching most of they vid as there's so much I could have done better. Key thing is to carry it to the next one. Are you doing Spa this year?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:51 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Not doing Spa this year - pondering whether to track the new car at all.

Might go next year and hire a Caterham, but it's a very costly business these days...
Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Not doing Spa this year - pondering whether to track the new car at all.

Might go next year and hire a Caterham, but it's a very costly business these days...
Simon, I might be able to help you out. I am now one of the owners of a large Caterham dealer. We have a fleet of rental cars, and had five cars our racing at Spa last weekend. I'm sure we can do a mates rates price for a Caterham for you when you want one.

Mark, look like you had a good weekend and got over the issues of the first race weekend. Well done mate, I knew you'd be fine once you got there. It is a great circuit to race at, now imagine doing Eau Rouge in the dark!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by RichUK
Simon, I might be able to help you out. I am now one of the owners of a large Caterham dealer. We have a fleet of rental cars, and had five cars our racing at Spa last weekend. I'm sure we can do a mates rates price for a Caterham for you when you want one.

Mark, look like you had a good weekend and got over the issues of the first race weekend. Well done mate, I knew you'd be fine once you got there. It is a great circuit to race at, now imagine doing Eau Rouge in the dark!
Thanks Rich, that's very kind.

Eau Rouge is easy in the dark - I usually do it with my eyes closed.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 AM
MB

LG goes racing!

Rich, yep very glad I did it. You not tempted to have a bash? I guess you have too many race cars though
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by MB
LG goes racing!
No-one wants to see that - I'd be terrible at it (based on previous karting experience).

A track day would be more fun for me, I think, or perhaps an endurance race where out and out pace is less important than consistency and looking after the car.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Errr .. you blew your last one up!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MB
LG goes racing!

Rich, yep very glad I did it. You not tempted to have a bash? I guess you have too many race cars though
Very tempted, the white Supersport apparently was a real hoot round there. We're there in Oct for the 24hr race, and all being well with the Ginetta for the Goldtrack double header immediately after.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Errr .. you blew your last one up!
It took him like 10 years and 6000 trackdays to do so though, no endurance race is as long as that
Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 PM
MB

So I've had a couple of months off racing, as I'd lost motivation for it but decided to enter one of the MacMillan Toyo races this weekend at Donny. Its a great series, with drivers up there on par with the main Caterham championship. It's also run by the guys who look after my car (MacMillan) who I have to say have been first class. They do everything for you and all I do is turn up and drive

Unfortunately the car developed a gear selection issue on Friday and ended up missing all of testing. Thy had people on it until 10pm sorting out the sequential box and got it sorted that night.

So went into qualifying on tyres id never driven on before which wasn't good. At this level you can't not test as you get found out. All the drivers have many years of caterham experience too. I think I was 13th from 15 R300s and from a total grid of 30 something.

Race 1 was good fun, got a good start and made some nice passes, working my way upto 8th. Safety car came out for about 5 laps and I got caught napping when it came in and lost the pack. Unforgivable and was seething I was watching it closely and was sure he was wasn't coming in. Guys behind me got caught out too though. Did some decent laps after that, but eventually lost 3 places before the last lap. One guy was unlapping himself from the front but I should have held the other 2. My tactics were all wrong in hindsight, but Caterham racing is still a very steep learning curve.

Race 2 was a disaster. Coming through Redgate on the first lap and a typical redgate incident happened. Avoiding incidents has always been one of my strong points, but unfortunately not this weekend. I was avoiding a mudguard from the carnage in front, and a nosecone coming down on me from a great height, but this left me square on with a spinning car ahead, and t boned it. Car is all bent and I imagine it will be expensive...

Last edited by MB; 08-13-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: MB goes Caterham racing