Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

My E30 M3 Track car

Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My E30 M3 Track car

After posting some pics of my e30 M3 on another thread some asked me to post on here the details and history of the car so here goes:

Bought my E30 M3 a few years ago it was already kitted out as a track car with the carbon airbox coil overs roll cage etc etc I had it liveried up and went on lots of track days and twice to the Ring it was brilliant.

Then this happened at Oulton Park

So I went out and bought this off a guy who had just built it and had it on the rolling road when he needed to sell due to work problems a full group N 2.5 litre engine and it was not cheap! The rolling road print out is below maxed at 315 BHP. At my 1st track day at Croft another owner with a special engined E30 M3 walked over to tell me he knew of my engine and it was not a true 300 plus engine but his was so I told him put up or shut up and out on the track we went. Well if mine wasnt 300 his wasnt 200 as I blew him away in the paddock after he came over all sheepish asked the full spec of my engine then said oh no wonder then he obviously did not know what was in my engine after all!

At the end of 08 after doing the Ring and Spa where the car was a revelation compared to all the modern stuff there I decided to go the whole hog and start from scratch with the car. Had a spit made and took the car back to a shell had it sandblasted and the only bit of rust was a small piece under the windscreen everywhere else what spot on. Had it seem welded to start with.

Then took the roof off to get rid of the sunroof and had a roll cage welded in properly instead of the bolted one I had originally and painted it red.

Bought fibreglass front and rear bumpers to save weight and then had it sprayed vauxhall white as that is the brightest white around.

Then had the BMW stripes sprayed on which was a job and a half, will get it stickered up as a Warsteiner again when finished.

Had the wiring loom altered anything not needed has gone I bought a carbon dash door cards rear side panels (again not cheap) from a guy in Germany I got a Stack dash put in a fuel cell made to fit in the spare wheel space, engine is back in subframe in etc etc

I have had some 6 pot callipers and larger discs made for the front and Porsche Boxster front calipers adapted to fit the rears and new discs. The job has now come to a bit of a standstill hopefully I will get it all finished in time for the summer fingers crossed!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Very nice! Loving that carbon airbox / intake manifold.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Simply gorgeous.

Thanks for the post, and I'm looking forward to seeing that on the circuit.
Would be great if you could get it back to Spa in the Spring with our lot.

Steve.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
ge2

Lovely.

I've got a real thing for these cars, my absolute favourite BMW, especially in track trim.

You ought to race it, it seems cruel not to, like never letting a dog outside

Just to be a pendant, do you mean Group A for the engine? 300bhp seems an awful lot for Group N of that era.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Barefoot, simply amazing!
The E30 M3 [Evo2] is the best car BMW have ever made. It sits in my top three wish list alongside a Delta Integrale Evo2 and a 911 993 GT2.

Loving the GrpN aspect of your car... very envious!

Please keep the thread updated with as many pics possible
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Amazing .

Please keep this update d so we can all see what it's like when it's fully finished.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks guys it has been a labour of love and a bit frightening. To take a car that was already in very good condition back to a shell might seem a bit OTT but I had heard so many scare stories of tim worm on the E30 M3 and after spending a fair bit on the engine I wanted to make sure the car was sound. Typically once bared and sand blasted it turned out to be one of the most rust free shells that is out there!

As for the roof skin I bought an old e30 without a sunroof (not many about). The seats are Porsche GT3 leather ones I had some serious buckets originally but could not see a bloody thing when trying to reverse plus a nightmare to get in and out of.

The guy who built the engine is from the North East a lovely chap he is going to email me the full spec and what he did to it so I will post that when he does.

Kev
Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Great post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a couple of people have their cars stickered up like that but I think I might have seen you at the ring

Lovely car. And a proper job your doing. And not a bad daily run around whilst you get it ready either I notice
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM

You have to race this - as has already been said. A waste otherwise.

Are you going the whole hog-brake bias, top end shifter? I guess you have already surveyed other M3 race cars?

Spend a bit of time thinking about what suspension you want. Stiff isn't necessarily the best on these.

Quick Reply: My E30 M3 Track car