Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New 911 GT3..... vs Honda

Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The only thing with a dedicated track car is the chore of having to trailer it everywhere (especially if it is one of those coffins on wheels ). IMO, it is much nicer to be able to drive to an event (with a group of mates), do the trackday and drive back (without any issues). Buying a (German) car that has been built to do this makes the return journey home at the end of the event, under your own power all the more likely .

However, I agree with most of the comments made, but the GT3 isn't really about short roundy-roundy (yawn ) tracks, it has been built to dominate that very special place in Germany - hence the requirement of being able to drive 4-500 miles - do a similar amount over a couple of days on track and then do the return journey, all without breaking into a sweat or worrying if the car will survive such a task..... German cars can do that with bells on, Italian ones are likely to break down on the way there, on track or on the way back LOL.

Obviously you can trailer your track car to the 'Ring, but the road trips are the stuff of legends when there is a group of you.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

but the GT3 isn't really about short roundy-roundy (yawn ) tracks, it has been built to dominate that very special place in Germany - hence the requirement of being able to drive 4-500 miles - do a similar amount over a couple of days on track and then do the return journey, all without breaking into a sweat or worrying if the car will survive such a task....

So this is why Porsche make it? Not as an automotive penis extension then?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
but the GT3 isn't really about short roundy-roundy (yawn ) tracks, it has been built to dominate that very special place in Germany - hence the requirement of being able to drive 4-500 miles - do a similar amount over a couple of days on track and then do the return journey, all without breaking into a sweat or worrying if the car will survive such a task....

So this is why Porsche make it? Not as an automotive penis extension then?
No, that is what Ferrari is for .
Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
The only thing with a dedicated track car is the chore of having to trailer it everywhere (especially if it is one of those coffins on wheels ). IMO, it is much nicer to be able to drive to an event (with a group of mates), do the trackday and drive back (without any issues). Buying a (German) car that has been built to do this makes the return journey home at the end of the event, under your own power all the more likely .

However, I agree with most of the comments made, but the GT3 isn't really about short roundy-roundy (yawn ) tracks, it has been built to dominate that very special place in Germany - hence the requirement of being able to drive 4-500 miles - do a similar amount over a couple of days on track and then do the return journey, all without breaking into a sweat or worrying if the car will survive such a task..... German cars can do that with bells on, Italian ones are likely to break down on the way there, on track or on the way back LOL.

Obviously you can trailer your track car to the 'Ring, but the road trips are the stuff of legends when there is a group of you.
The perceived wisdom is that Porsche handle big mileages but Ferraris don't

I'm not sure it's true

The fact is people don't put big miles on a Ferrari because historically it would destroy its value

I think my 348 had about 25,000 miles on it when I bought it and it was about 14 years old at that point

I also had a five year old 360 for a brief period and that had done 15,000 miles at the time I bought it

Maseratis otoh - very dodgy quality despite many Ferrari bits

When I have encountered a high mileage Ferrari it has been no less reliable than any other high performance car with similar miles, Porsche included

And I have a 987 Boxster S (50K miles) outside with a broken window regulator - the first car I've ever owned with such a failure

I suppose if you must have one car for road and track then Porsche are a good bet

But I couldn't live with the lack of comfort for the daily drive and being p*ssed on by dedicated track toys on the track

I doubt a GT3 wouldn't dominate a Radical anywhere, roundy roundy or through a magical forest
Old 05-03-2017, 05:00 AM

I think you missed my point in regard to dedicated track cars -vs- "fast" road / track cars . You would have to be a complete masochist to even contemplating driving something like a Radical to and from tracks in the UK, let alone all the way to the magic forest .

Having experienced a hot lap of the Nordschleife in an SR8, I know that nothing short of a more powerful LM based car would get near it, but that doesn't mean I would want to drive one there, do two days of lapping and drive one back. The concentration level and physicality required in just one lap (genuine plus levels of g-force) is off the scale. It's the only car I have ever been in that has given a (very small) taste of what an F1 car must be like - it's uncomfortable to say the least.... So I'd still pick the GT3.

And comparing Ferrari's "road mileage" reliability is laughable. Show almost any Ferrari track work (especially if it is modern - and especially somewhere like the 'ring) and the dash becomes a Christmas tree of warning lights, as everything overheats. Sadly Ferrari cars appear to be nothing but trinkets and baubles for those that like to have a prancing horse key-ring, where all GT Porsches are pounded around the 'ring to ensure they are up to this kind of abuse .

Half the reason (other than devaluing it) that people are scared to put even road mileage on Ferraris is that they don't "do" big mileage, show it a track and you will learn real financial pain (which is why you very rarely see them on track), where you won't even be able to do a track day in the UK and NOT encounter a Porsche GT car of some description - it's what they were built for....
Old 05-03-2017, 05:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
I think you missed my point in regard to dedicated track cars -vs- "fast" road / track cars . You would have to be a complete masochist to even contemplating driving something like a Radical to and from tracks in the UK, let alone all the way to the magic forest .

Having experienced a hot lap of the Nordschleife in an SR8, I know that nothing short of a more powerful LM based car would get near it, but that doesn't mean I would want to drive one there, do two days of lapping and drive one back. The concentration level and physicality required in just one lap (genuine plus levels of g-force) is off the scale. It's the only car I have ever been in that has given a (very small) taste of what an F1 car must be like - it's uncomfortable to say the least.... So I'd still pick the GT3.

And comparing Ferrari's "road mileage" reliability is laughable. Show almost any Ferrari track work (especially if it is modern - and especially somewhere like the 'ring) and the dash becomes a Christmas tree of warning lights, as everything overheats. Sadly Ferrari cars appear to be nothing but trinkets and baubles for those that like to have a prancing horse key-ring, where all GT Porsches are pounded around the 'ring to ensure they are up to this kind of abuse .

Half the reason (other than devaluing it) that people are scared to put even road mileage on Ferraris is that they don't "do" big mileage, show it a track and you will learn real financial pain (which is why you very rarely see them on track), where you won't even be able to do a track day in the UK and NOT encounter a Porsche GT car of some description - it's what they were built for....
I wouldn't do anything so common as tow a trailer

I think there are tradespeople that will take one's car to and from a chosen destination so I'd be doing that, getting there myself in something comfy and fast

Or one hires on-site

How many Ferraris and Porsches have you owned out of interest and which ones?

I don't know much about Porkers
Old 05-03-2017, 05:54 AM
Banned

Back sort of on topic

I'd much rather have the new NSX than that Porker in the original post

I imagine depreciation on the former is going to be pretty savage
Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Back sort of on topic

I'd much rather have the new NSX than that Porker in the original post

I imagine depreciation on the former is going to be pretty savage
Probably right, and then it'll go back up again, like the 1st Generation. I'm sure you'll buy at the right time.

The posh track days I've been to at Spa have many vehicles brought along in lorries.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Probably right, and then it'll go back up again, like the 1st Generation. I'm sure you'll buy at the right time.

The posh track days I've been to at Spa have many vehicles brought along in lorries.
Took a very long time for the 1st gen to rise and one could argue that's only part of a mass movement

ANY old crap is currently perceived (or marketed) as a classic at the moment

Trouble with the new 'un is the potential for gremlins as it ages - this is a new phenomenon we're some way off understanding

As for posh track days, workmen and trailers, isn't that MB's modus nowadays?
Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I wouldn't do anything so common as tow a trainer

I think there are tradespeople that will take one's car to and from a chosen destination so I'd be doing that, getting there myself in something comfy and fast

How many Ferraris and Porsches have you owned out of interest and which ones?

I don't know much about Porkers
I'm lucky enough to get to drive them and then be able to hand them back to their respective owners, but aren't in a suitable financial position to own one quite yet (not the one I want anyway). Having seen how financially ruinous Ferraris are (especially one with carbon ceramics), you couldn't GIVE me one.

Having seen how reliable the Porsches have been (even when used and abused on track), the GT range has always been a car that has appealed the most, as it is what I want from a car - a track ready vehicle that will take a beasting and won't depreciate like a stone if used as Porsche intended. I just don't see the point in buying such a car and not using it "properly". I'm old enough and wise enough now-adays to know that if you drive any car on the road to the limit of it's capabilities (even a basic hot hatch), you will (deservedly) end up being locked away at Her Majesty's pleasure . So for me, the only place to safely explore a supercar's speed / handling limits is on track. I could not have such a capable car and NOT put it through it's paces, as then it just becomes a "posing pouch"......

Quick Reply: New 911 GT3..... vs Honda