Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New cars, 2nd hand cars and choices

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cars, 2nd hand cars and choices

Imagine you had 10 20 50 or 80k, doesnt really matter, to spend on a car. What would you spend your money on? and would it be new or 2nd hand? I know its been done before but with the current climate as it is I thought it may change peoples perspective.
From my own perspective I dont think I will ever buy new again, but saying that even 2nd hand cars are dropping.
What do people think could be a safe bet regarding limiting the depreciation? The only cars that look to be slow in depreciation are older Porkers (993, 996 c4s).
Just thought it may be interesting to see peoples views.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 AM

I'd really like a 996 turbo, good ones now are
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996's are still dropping like a stone, avoid. Unless it's a GT variant. GT3RS's took a massive hit initially but have levelled out at around the 60k mark. GT2's often have a bad history. There's a particularly famous GT2 that's doing the rounds that should be treated with caution, although could be a good buy, as it's always cheap (several Gumball's under it's belt)

993's were doing well. Since the "troubles" I haven't really checked, but everything has taken a hit. But compared to other cars will still be doing well.

I'd buy second hand, unless I could get a good enough deal, and it'd have to be a VERY good deal to buy new. Unless I had so much money I didn't care.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Im guessing that the car market is a bit similar to the housing market as in people are advertising them at a level that people are just not prepared to risk paying.
I would love a 993 c4s but im guessing they look far prettier than they actually drive. I alss fancied a punt on the 996 c4s as they looked to of levelled out but as said above they still appear to be dropping. I did a search on pee heads and there are quite a few 997 c2s for under 45k.
I have my name down for an RS5 if it happens but pretty sure that I am not a) touching anything till next year and b) that it will be econd hand if I do.
Lancia delta intergrale was the other old car I fancied. Anyone driven one?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Personally, the only Porsche's I'd be intersted in having are old ones (911 from either the 70's through to mid 90's, but after that they got ugly to me!). However, there's no way I could afford to run one.

I really think I'm getting a bargain in my S. I had a budget of
Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I am increasingly contemptuous of modern designs, so I can sympathise.

I suppose I could spend 80 large, but never on one car! I could buy a fleet for that...
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm, what a beauty!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:52 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I expect to buy a new Ferrari at some point - just because I want to be able to say that I have done it

To myself really, it may be bought and sold before any of you know about it, like a lot of cars that go through my hands

It's just a little ambition I have, like owning an apartment in Manhattan

If depreciation mattered, I wouldn't be doing it

If I didn't have targets, I'd die

But that's all in the future

I'm not interested enough in any modern cars at the moment to make me think about buying a new one

Maybe a new small hatch for my partner, but I doubt I'll do that - be easier to hire one via the business

I said I'd keep my M5 for five years - it's approaching three and I can't see any point in changing it

If something big goes pop, I'll just fix it
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Oct 18 2008, 11:52 AM
I expect to buy a new Ferrari at some point - just because I want to be able to say that I have done it

To myself really, it may be bought and sold before any of you know about it, like a lot of cars that go through my hands

It's just a little ambition I have, like owning an apartment in Manhattan

If depreciation mattered, I wouldn't be doing it

If I didn't have targets, I'd die

But that's all in the future

I'm not interested enough in any modern cars at the moment to make me think about buying a new one

Maybe a new small hatch for my partner, but I doubt I'll do that - be easier to hire one via the business

I said I'd keep my M5 for five years - it's approaching three and I can't see any point in changing it

If something big goes pop, I'll just fix it
yeah me too.....

Quick Reply: New cars, 2nd hand cars and choices