Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New Civic Type R

Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Civic Type R

Just read http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTe...-Type-R/223991/

Not very impressive. Seemed quite a balanced review from Autocar. I really think Honda are beginning to lose their way. I was always of the opinion that the old Type R sat at the top of the Hot Hatch food chain, but now I think the Golf GTI and Focus ST are probably much better cars.

I have ummed and arrred over the styling of the new 'chunky' looking Civic, and I really do not like the 'futuristic' dash.

The new Type R has done nothing for me... tiny increase in power, but a bigger increase in weight. Cost saving on the suspension, but overall an increased price.

It's a shame. Honda need to find their way back to the days of the original Integra Type R and the last Civic Type R. The 'Type-R' brand seems to have become a marketing tool rather than a car these days
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like, but its actually the same performance as the old one.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Type R just means GTI now. It's got nothing to do with racing, and everything to do with being a top of the range hatchback.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Moff,

I read that too & I have to agree with you.

Sycophantic 'Car' neglected to mention that the torsion beam has, predictably, done for the throttle-steer, or the crap rear visibility.

Now the softened, less hooligan nature would be fine if the car were a VTi - except for the aforementioned handling problem.

Probably one of the reasons I poke fun at the Audi A3 is a nagging sense that it is perhaps closer to my ideal of a modern Civic!

They used to be decisively above and beyond the ordinary; since Acura came along, they seem to be aimed squarely at the Astra market.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 AM

I
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I shall drive it too, to see how closely it aligns with how I imagine it to drive.

Then I'll let the hacks know if they are right or wrong!

TBH, I know it will drive very well & be a very good all-rounder.

It just won't have that fun factor the older cars have. And if there's no pleasure in driving it, there's no point in buying it.

I can get a lot of interesting cars for
Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Not many new un's tho, with Honda build and reliability
Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 PM

As an ST owner I've been quite interested in the reviews - as I understand it Autocar/Evo are rather lukewarm, the Auto Express/Car reviews are very positive.

For me, the previous CTR was a milestone - 200 bhp in a hot hatch moved the goalposts *a lot* at the time.

Now 200 bhp is rather ordinary.

I think Honda have an issue with this car. Joe Bloggs who gets given a 10 minute test drive in the car (where opportunitis for vtec are few) is going to find it feeling very flat after the turbo charged competition that are making peak torque at 2k rpm.

It's a shame, I think it's an adventurous design inside and one that makes my Focus look rather staid. And I'm sure it'll prove to be the best driver's car in the class.

But for me if having a driver's car was the number one priority issue I'd have kept the S. I wanted a practical Jack of all trades and I think the ST will tick more of those boxes (bearing in mind I hope to have an S2000/Elise in the garage as well by the summer )
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

mmmm

First of all, if you want the GT pack and those lovely looking 19" alloys, you are going to be paying over
Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smnasn,Feb 6 2007, 09:49 PM
As an ST owner I've been quite interested in the reviews - as I understand it Autocar/Evo are rather lukewarm, the Auto Express/Car reviews are very positive.

For me, the previous CTR was a milestone - 200 bhp in a hot hatch moved the goalposts *a lot* at the time.

Now 200 bhp is rather ordinary.

I think Honda have an issue with this car. Joe Bloggs who gets given a 10 minute test drive in the car (where opportunitis for vtec are few) is going to find it feeling very flat after the turbo charged competition that are making peak torque at 2k rpm.

It's a shame, I think it's an adventurous design inside and one that makes my Focus look rather staid. And I'm sure it'll prove to be the best driver's car in the class.

But for me if having a driver's car was the number one priority issue I'd have kept the S. I wanted a practical Jack of all trades and I think the ST will tick more of those boxes (bearing in mind I hope to have an S2000/Elise in the garage as well by the summer )
This was one of my main issues with the S2000 before I sold it, and it seems to be a theme at Honda of late. I want a great experience, but I also want superior performance too.

Quick Reply: New Civic Type R