Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The other day i bought..

Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been doing a few bits, looks like someone may have fitted bucket seats in the past and fecked with the airbags as a consequence that's a ball ache as there is a light on it was intermittent for a while!.

Removed the silly 17's and fitted some cheap MSM alloy whels (actually made by OZ) not my taste but handles better with 15's tyres are cheaper and these wheels are light!.

Removed rear seats, wheel, rear interior, aircon and little bits in engine bay etc however kept it sensible and road worthy, i don't want to dump too much money into this thing. Gave it a service consisting of oil, oil filter, cabin filter, coolant, forte gasoline treatment, gearbox brake fluid to come.

Good gad discs and pads, ferrodo ds2500 and brake ducts.

Had it on a dyno as we ported/polished the inlets and TB opening unfortunately it only yeilded another 5BHP and 5 lbt however that puts it at 187BHP/175 LBFT , its got a full exhaust system, decat and custom made air intake with box/velocity stack and feed made by myself. Also added a catch and did away with breather into the intake tract. I had to put a small lightweight centre silencer in, its just toned it down a 'little' and took edge off it.

Got some AD08R's coming and remap on Monday then suspensions and brakes to do and its almost ready, its sitting at 1035KG at the moment and hopefully get it into the mid to high 190's, 200BHP is unrealistic.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Engine bay shot?
Old 03-05-2017, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Been doing a few bits, looks like someone may have fitted bucket seats in the past and fecked with the airbags as a consequence that's a ball ache as there is a light on it was intermittent for a while!.

Removed the silly 17's and fitted some cheap MSM alloy whels (actually made by OZ) not my taste but handles better with 15's tyres are cheaper and these wheels are light!.

Removed rear seats, wheel, rear interior, aircon and little bits in engine bay etc however kept it sensible and road worthy, i don't want to dump too much money into this thing. Gave it a service consisting of oil, oil filter, cabin filter, coolant, forte gasoline treatment, gearbox brake fluid to come.

Good gad discs and pads, ferrodo ds2500 and brake ducts.

Had it on a dyno as we ported/polished the inlets and TB opening unfortunately it only yeilded another 5BHP and 5 lbt however that puts it at 187BHP/175 LBFT , its got a full exhaust system, decat and custom made air intake with box/velocity stack and feed made by myself. Also added a catch and did away with breather into the intake tract. I had to put a small lightweight centre silencer in, its just toned it down a 'little' and took edge off it.

Got some AD08R's coming and remap on Monday then suspensions and brakes to do and its almost ready, its sitting at 1035KG at the moment and hopefully get it into the mid to high 190's, 200BHP is unrealistic.
With some BMWs you get an airbag warning light if the ignition is switched on while a seat is out or any of the seat sensors are disconnected. It's then a reset job with the right code reader. Worth a check if Renault are the same before you start worrying about the airbags.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a common problem with these, Its the sensor under the passenger seat which causes the airbag light, Normally a wiggle sorts it out, If not there is a solution on the owners club site
Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Yeah someone has done a hacky job cutting plugs off, I've sourced some from a scrappy.

The car was remapped and made great power and rev limit upp'd to 7500rpm - its a strong engine must have been made on a tuesday and they had their cheese wine on a monday. Fitted all new good front discs and pads then fitting new shocks and suspension (well almost new and lowered)

I developed a kinda miss fire well on firing on 3 cylinders, common issue is injectors so i sourced a 2nd hand fuel rail and injectors - fecker wouldn't start and went back to old fuel rail still wont start! so got a few things to try welcome to Renault!!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Yeah someone has done a hacky job cutting plugs off, I've sourced some from a scrappy.

The car was remapped and made great power and rev limit upp'd to 7500rpm - its a strong engine must have been made on a tuesday and they had their cheese wine on a monday. Fitted all new good front discs and pads then fitting new shocks and suspension (well almost new and lowered)

I developed a kinda miss fire well on firing on 3 cylinders, common issue is injectors so i sourced a 2nd hand fuel rail and injectors - fecker wouldn't start and went back to old fuel rail still wont start! so got a few things to try welcome to Renault!!
surely just air in the system?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

TFB - you just never know the history of what you buy into with this. Expecting time consuming irritating issues seems common. My guess is you've either disturbed bad wiring or you've an air leak somewhere. Out of interest, have you had a look at the fuel pump and filter?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by gaddafi
surely just air in the system?
Check you haven't cocked up the TDC sensor/connection under the TB area mate - easy done.
Ohms across the injectors are (IIRC) around 14ohms from what I can search out. If low, probably shagged.
Steve
Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Turns - its probably the ignition pack! - most likely shorted inside thus it cant start!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:58 PM

It was the ignition coil pack.

Had a great track day at Silverstone with the old boy and ma chère (Clio) as part of my dad's retirement do. Despite the car being purely a budget car (using 2nd hand bits and stuff i already had) it certainly wasn't the slowest and gave a few things a run for the money, it had to make a 4.5 hours journey there and back and be used on the track!. It was the cheapest car in the paddock true underdog!. It had budget T1r tyres, remap, shocks/springs, ds2500 pads, exhaust/decat, inlets ported, home made cai and weight reduction (circa 1030KG/187 BHP). Cracking car and I can see why they are highly rated and considered fun. Best was 3.05min by us pure amateurs, we could have pushed harder but wanted to make it home!. That's something ticked off the bucket list, unfortunately I don't have the cash to keep it so It'll be put up for sale.