Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Past or present E92 M3 owners?

Old 11-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of an update. My S2000 is now gone, replaced by an E92 M3. I picked it up on Friday and have been very impressed with it so far. The roads have been pretty wet and damp this weekend so I haven't been able to push it much, but already really impressed with it. Handling seems very good so far, nimble and quick to steer. Not the big barge I was worried about! The engine and gearbox are pretty spectacular, very entertaining. So far so good, really glad I've made the change!

Thanks for everyone's feedback, helped with the decision making
Old 11-13-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you buy? Year? Comp pack?

oh and photos of course
Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Hope you enjoy it, certainly good for this weather

there is another dad at my lads school who has a newer turbo M3. Powder blue.

i wouldnt swap. The NA, with the right exhaust, sounds sooo much better. His sounds like a chavved up nova.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:14 AM

Initially I was looking at comp pack cars but I decided to save quite a big chunk of cash and went for an 08 with DCT. I decided I could live without EDC, plus the rest of the spec was exactly what I was looking for. It's space grey with the 18-inch 260 wheels, which I prefer over the 19s. It's in fantastic condition and the service history is spot on. It's had a lot of things done in the past few k - new throttle actuators, new discs and pads all round, new MPSS tyres, new spark plugs, oil & filters service, etc. So hopefully it won't need anything spending on it for a few months. Other than a 2-pipe mod, which I'll probably get done soon. So yeah, really chuffed so far. It's made driving fun again, which was the main aim!

I'm not a fan of the F80 cars either. The styling is so fussy, I just wouldn't want to have to look at it every day!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 AM

Sounds like all the pricey stuff was done

discs are ££
plugs are a bitch to fit

it looks ok in dark colours the M4.. and they do shift but it sounds really, really crap
Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Sounds like a nice one, see what version dct software it has as the 08 ones can be a bit clunky which you can fix with installing a later one

I would have a F80 m3 over an m4, the inside is quite nice but like you say they just sound awful
Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
I would have a F80 m3 over an m4, the inside is quite nice but like you say they just sound awful
from a looks perspective?

this pic is what drew me to the M3

i have genuine comp pack wheels and no red calipers/duck tail but otherwise mine is close to that

as those derivative cars go i think both the E46 and E92 look pretty good, the E46 is really small compared with the 92 though. it's just not a v8. I could have bought a mint CSL in 2012 for the same cash as this, that would definitely have been a better investment
Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
from a looks perspective?
Yeh, the back end of the m4 just looks fat and ugly where the m3 looks mean and wide. Engine and sound wise I have no interest in either of them!

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
this pic is what drew me to the M3

i have genuine comp pack wheels and no red calipers/duck tail but otherwise mine is close to that

as those derivative cars go i think both the E46 and E92 look pretty good, the E46 is really small compared with the 92 though. it's just not a v8. I could have bought a mint CSL in 2012 for the same cash as this, that would definitely have been a better investment
That looks nice, they don't need much to make them look agressive I think, front looks a bit dated now when you see it next to a new one but it doesn't make me want to change yet. E46 is looking pretty dated now I think, more so than an s2000 does of the same years.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I went through the same thought process. Ended up with a very well spec’d e92 335i M sport and kept the S.

Great daily but having a few problems with it though :turbo actuators, injector and carbon build up

Glad you like yours

Last edited by E4RTH WORM JIM; 12-04-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM

Just incase people find this thread in the future, here's an update. I've had the car a few months now and done about 4000 miles as a daily driver. Still really enjoying it and glad I switched. I'd say it's an excellent do-it-all car. Fast, sounds great, comfortable and well built. Engine and gearbox, not surprisingly I prefer the M3. The novelty of banging it through the gears hasn't worn off yet, I'm glad to say. It's also great to just cruise around in, which I found the S2000 never was. The engine sounds good at any revs and the extra comfort is very welcome. I also prefer the M3's handling over my S2000 as well. The extra weight doesn't feel like a hindrance on the road and it's a very fun car to chuck around. The steering seems very direct and has more feedback than my S2000; that always felt a bit vague to me.

On track, I'd still prefer the S2000 I think. Mainly because I could probably live with that being written off, whereas the M3 is a good chunk more money. I'd even taken out extra insurance but the excesses are so big it still weighed on my mind a bit. The brakes were also totally standard, so I took it easy really. MDM mode made me feel like a driving god in the wet, so that was a plus! Maybe once I've had the car a bit longer I won't be so uptight about damaging it, but for now, road-driving is loads of fun again!

The only downsides I can currently think of are the tax and MPG (rubbish obviously), and the DCT is a bit annoying around town sometimes. I'll probably look into upgrading the software eventually. Apart from that, happy so far!

Quick Reply: Past or present E92 M3 owners?