S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Past or present E92 M3 owners? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/past-present-e92-m3-owners-1178998/)

S2K-RS 10-28-2017 08:20 AM

Past or present E92 M3 owners?

Hi everyone,

I'm tempted by an E92 M3 with DCT, comp pack and the 2-pipe mod. I've driven a couple briefly but it's hard to get a feel for them in a 5 minute test drive on 30mph roads near dealerships. So cutting to the chase, is it a fun car or dull car?? I've read various opinions both ways, so just wondered what you fellow S2000 folk think. It'll be a daily-ish driver and also used for occasional track days, euro tours, etc...

Cheers!

arsie 10-28-2017 11:33 AM

The E92 M3 is a GT car and quite heavy compared with the S2000. The feel is slightly disconnected from the road, at least that was my experience. Good car for an all weather commute but not as light and nimble as an S2000. That said, caught in a downpour coming back to Norfolk from the A50 across the Kegworth M1 interchange I felt very safe in the M3 whereas in an S I would have been bum twitching.

Dull spirited car, fun with all that power and grip and a safe daily. To me the ride is too stiff especially on 19" wheels and on our roads.

For your application it sounds ideal.

Nottm_S2 10-28-2017 11:43 PM

Rog has nailed it. Its a do anything car but to track it feels odd to me, though plenty do.

the engines arent the strongest, fragile bottom ends, the throttle actuators are very likely to fail but its not bank breaking to resolve if you give the dealer a swerve

jack of all trades, master of none. I’d miss mine purely because it can eat a long journey like a limo. It’s probably master of that in fairness. Very quick, very benign handling, lovely engine and currently depreciating fairly slowly

S2K-RS 10-29-2017 01:53 PM

Thanks for your opinions guys. That disconnected feeling is one of the things I'm worried about. If I buy one, as soon as I get to it some familiar roads near home I'll be able to tell instantly if I like it or not. A bit of 30mph road and some dual carriageway is about as good as it gets on most test drives though!

MB 10-29-2017 11:40 PM

Great car, but I got bored of mine within about a week :(

lovegroova 10-29-2017 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by MB (Post 24375718)
Great car, but I got bored of mine within about a week :(

Wow, it took that long, usually it's about 2 days isn't it? ;)

MB 10-30-2017 12:28 AM

My affliction is getting better with time :)

Had 3 of the current stable for more than 2 years I think!

The M3 is very nice, and still looks great, it just didnt do a lot for me. The noise was muted even with the M exhaust, and the DCT was so proficient it didnt really feel you were involved. A quick car but you never feel it with limited torque (like the S) you have to really rev it but the speeds are magnified so you rarely get to enjoy it... and it's deffo not a track car.

Nick Graves 10-30-2017 01:53 AM

Has anyone had any experience with Alpinas?

I never used to understand the point of those, but since the Ms seem to be morphing increasingly into failed track-cars, maybe a souped-up 335i or whatever makes more sense as a decent road car.

You'd need to lose the go-faster stripes, of course.

MB 10-30-2017 01:59 AM

Yep that would be interesting, and cheaper.

Nottm_S2 10-30-2017 03:45 AM

The torque comment is interesting as it still has 300lb/ft and its pretty flat from 2k to the rev line

a lot of people say its lacking torque, i assume for lazy driving rather than towing caravans, but i’ve never thought that. Mine will pull from very low revs in 6th if you’re comatose.. having said that i’ve never driven the c63 to compare

its not as Jekyl and hyde as the F20C and did win engine of the year in similar, fairly dominant, fashion

alpinas always seem to have 20 inch wheels now :(

the 335 is a strong option though for a good chunk less cash

and still not a track car :)

i’d buy an Exige S3 :D