Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Range rover

Old 10-28-2023, 01:38 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts
Default Range rover

No not buying one but the name works for what we need

The OH likes massive tanks. No comments please . Qashqai +2, CRV, RAV4 size

Her qashqai is not long for this world and I'm thinking a replacement for that which can also do schlepps instead of the e - so needs to be nice inside and quiet

I can't face driving a tank, I'm happy buzzing about in the little BEV, it's in its 4th year and perfectly suited to my needs, very rare short city commute, lots of buzzing around Notts sub 30 miles radius etc so that stays

​​​​​​This then needs to be large, tall, comfy, reliable, auto, easy to drive

I don't want new, she abuses her cars like you wouldnt believe

Currently thinking of trying to find a tidy old ICE CRV

Mazda CX5 ruled out due to ride quality
not sure Kia were any good till lately
Not ruling out another qash but to me it feels ****ing industrial, ride quality is really bad
Don't want a ****ing hybrid as it won't be near warranty and probably will break.
Don't mind a dutty diesel I spose, so long as bullet proof

-ride quality
-auto
-refined
-reliable
-inexpensive
-takes abuse
​​​​​​-large for kiddo and dog
-comfy ride for her bad back

Any ideas?

PS I can rent a BEV for £6k a year, seems OTT to me so not one I am considering. This qash cost £8k, has worked for 8 years.. I like those numbers

Last edited by Nottm_S2; 10-28-2023 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (11-01-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 10:22 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Shame. The current Rav4 is good. Done this dance for the last 6 months.

Cx5 diesel go bang. ... dpf
CR-V1.6 diesel is OK but dpf ..... same goes for the 2.2. The 9 speed auto on the 1.6 is the better gearbox of the 2. EX trim or go home.
Old shape HR-V 1.6 DTEC EX Auto is as dull as dishwater but probably the better car and has the Jazz magic folding seats.
Old RAV4 - dullllllllll
Dacia Duster - not as mad a suggestion as you'd think given the shape and depth of your pockets for this :P

So petrols better but shite mpg cos large. If i wasn't doing at least one long run a week i'd avoid diesel / DPF at ALL costs unless you're mapping it out and removing it.

Sportage / Tucscon are good but big and dull ( done about 10k in them on US road trips.)Previous model not the new ones. Not sure i'd fancy one in UK parking spaces and on our tarmac, the ride isn't that compliant.

RAV 4 will set you 25k in reasonable trim (JBL hifi, Pan roof, 360 degree parking etc) but 3 years old and you can only get warranty up to 100k miles.
Used Kuga last shape are more reasonable but auto box is sensitive to oil and frequency of change plus the ride on the model with the better trim is hamstrung by the sports suspension and big wheels.

They're all too big for UK parking spaces which is why the Puma sells so well, it fits and is decent to drive.

You can see why i ended up with a Puma and as for the Qashqai, i'd not get in one of those if you gave it to me. Same goes for that Reno Kadjar thing.

Last edited by unclefester; 10-28-2023 at 10:51 PM.
Nottm_S2 (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:10 AM

I'd have a HRV sport but she says not tall enough

Could wait for that engine CRV to be cheaper. No way I am spending 25k for her to wreck it

Old 10-30-2023, 02:25 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

The natural choice would be for an estate/shooting brake. There are many but I would avoid Volvo's unless very recent (because of the wobbly suspension). But she wants to sit high so that means an SUV. With the increase in fuel consumption... My neighbour drives a Land Rover Defender diesel MPG 25. Yep. Our 2 L Diesel Seat MPG 60 and 69 on careful long distance driving. 105k miles and it is a 2014. No DPF failures, but it did need a blocked cooling repair @ £900. But that's it in repairs. Have saved a ton in fuel costs. And annual tax is £ 20.
Nottm_S2 (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 03:50 AM

The VWs are not off the table, their diesels tend to be efficient and we had a couple of GTD Golfs with no issues

Harsh ride is a German problem though. Everyone advises french but my experience is entirely negative

Old 10-30-2023, 05:09 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
The VWs are not off the table, their diesels tend to be efficient and we had a couple of GTD Golfs with no issues

Harsh ride is a German problem though. Everyone advises french but my experience is entirely negative
The seats are quite hard - this presumably to counteract the typical lard in a German behind. One does though get used to this quite quickly and we are both slim. Agree on the French. Good on food, wine and cheese. But not cars.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tjockhult
The seats are quite hard - this presumably to counteract the typical lard in a German behind. One does though get used to this quite quickly and we are both slim. Agree on the French. Good on food, wine and cheese. But not cars.
Yes, our experience too. e also has very firm seats which she does not like

Bizarrely that is the perfect car for a swimming teacher, buzzing around the city and parking easily but she does that in a 35mpg 2 tonne tank

hmm
Old 10-30-2023, 09:36 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I meant to add ( forum edit lost it)

If you get a SEAT / VW / SKODA Tdi SUV you want the ones with AWD as that comes with the multilink independent rear suspension which sorts out the ride quality. That and a drop from the silly 18/19s down to 17" with a kerb appropriate sidewall. Handling won't be quite as sharp but your back, ears and wallet will thank you. There's a whole load of internet gumph about if if you Google it.

DPF /adblue will be an issue on anything modern derv if you do short trips and some of the short trip mpg if you factor in that DPF stuff .... the real MPG may not be too far from what some of the efficient petrol engines will deliver, without the irritation.
Nottm_S2 (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:40 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

My Golf has the adjustable suspension option. Obvs it's pretty stiff as a GTI but Comfort mode is pretty tolerable.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
My Golf has the adjustable suspension option. Obvs it's pretty stiff as a GTI but Comfort mode is pretty tolerable.
I think a Golf would be sensible but her GTD she equates to making her bad back much worse so there be dragons and all that.. don't try and apply logic

Quick Reply: Range rover