Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The potential supercharged F20C recipient

Old 12-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome what ecu?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

It's on a DTA S80, same as the old rotary.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:57 AM

Been doing some searching but didn't find anything - does nobody do thrust bearing conversion kits or pads to go with the twin-disc push clutches on the market? I mean, I've read a lot of people with the push clutch with chatter, bearing issues, etc, etc, that stem from it but looks like there's not one manufacturer out there actually offers a kit to go with the push conversion to fix it?
Does everyone just bolt them on and hope?

Was hoping there was something off the shelf like a flanged main bearing for one end or similar, save me some machining time.
The following users liked this post:
rnibleck (12-03-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I can’t help with the clutch question... but great progress non the less
Old 12-04-2017, 10:57 AM

I'll update with some more pictures shortly
Old 12-04-2017, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort
So, out came the screwdrivers and the soldering iron, the original dial came to pieces and the internals have been shortened, moved or rearranged and re-soldered.
Next step is to machine a new case out of a bit of 5" aluminium pipe and some sheet in the scrap pile, et voila, one half height rev counter:

Attachment 77453

Attachment 77454

Should have just fitted a bigger bloody shift light and left it off...
Well, after all this work, a decision was made.....we fitted a bigger bloody shift light and sacked this rev counter off...

Bought a new toy in a 3d printer to play with...so since we've had loads of issues with the CNC fiddle/turning brakes, decided to make our own, used the printer to make a prototype/pattern:

Fiddle brake frame was knocked up in some scrap steel using the plastic one as a template - as the laser cutters are packed from overspill over christmas - we had to shift the levers a bit anyway as the new gearlever got a bit close, aside from that Ed finished off all the pesky hydraulics, brakes, steering, dampers, etc.
He's forbidden me from putting them on here as the damper interconnects are top secret and the hoses are neat and far too sexy (actually, I think he must just have a rubber fetish).
So here's the pre-watershed pixellated version - cor, look at them blue pixels!

Printed a load of new bits and pieces like waterproofing covers for switches, power connectors, etc.
Then on with remaking the new dashboard to fit the 'shift light' - as you know, the general rule is we have to remake everything at least three times before it's 'finished' - so here is dashboard + wiring version 3....

Oh, the big hole in the middle there is for the 'shift light' - Santa was nice, you can just see what fills it in the middle at the top there.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:20 PM

We got really horny late one night:

A mysterious roll of woven charcoal arrived for skinning the rear wing with:

The front mudguard mounts got remade for the third time (see a trend yet?) - to make the mudguard match the tweaked front wheel arc, and now the mounts are lighter and hidden underneath the guard:

A prototype mount for the paddles:

Our custom Carbotech pads arrived - they're even colour coded to match the rest of the scheme - that's gotta be worth 30bhp:

Had a lot of fun playing with my knob:

Yes, it's ally, yes, it's heavy....yes we spent hours on the lathe skimming the inside out so now it weights slightly less than a knats testicle.

Now, part of the fun with the new Digi Dash was - we needed solid state sensors, so we've ended up swapping 3-4 of them out for fancy senders, which meant changing the chassis and engine looms and adding and chopping things that now need to go to the ECU instead of the Dash....and the CAN wires to the dash meant shuffling things around for the dash loom, and because the new dash was in the way we chopped out the old key-style cutoff switch and fitted a remote solid state one of those. So the front loom and the dash loom needed altering some more so that the remote buttons and external cutoffs, etc, could be added.....so basically we're on loom version v104,234,766#01
Old 12-04-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

like.. i might have asked this before but i'm too lazy to look, how much does it weigh?

and what's with the wavy discs?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM

With everything on at the minute it weighs 830kg, little bit heavy, I think we can lose 30kg relatively easily with a lipo battery, ally nerf bars, etc, later on. Probably another 10-15kg with fibreglass panelwork. So it'll be comfortably over 400bhp per tonne, and probably close/exceeding about 450bhp/tonne with a little lightening work.

The discs give more working/leading edges so you get more initial bite - especially when the pads are cold, and they also scrape/remove any mud, stones or water from the surface so they're more consistant through varying temperatures and terrain. Plus they're a bit lighter for a given size/leverage.
And they're shiny.

Oh yes, if you look really carefully.....you'll see that's the 3rd bonnet iteration too
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM

Ignore the thrust washer stuff, brain fade, I just realised flicking back through my pictures it's a 180* bearing either side, not a single 360 on one side. Derp. One less thing to worry about anyway.

Quick Reply: The potential supercharged F20C recipient