S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Premium hatchbacks (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/premium-hatchbacks-1176222/)

andy2000 08-07-2017 01:16 PM

Premium hatchbacks

So its coming time to move on from the CRV 2.2 diesel. Its been good to us but on reflection probably a much bigger car than we need. So I'm looking at "premium" hatchbacks.
Needs to be 3 years old max, be easy to drive and practical as it will be mainly driven by Maryam but with enough spec and power to I can also have some fun. Like lots of toys and gizmos. Petrol, around 3 years old. Comfortable enough to get to the south of France without much effort with luggage room for 2 of us with room to bring back plenty of our favorite vintage.

I'm not particularly inspired by the Japanese options so at the moment I'm leaning towards these which are the obvious contenders.

- Audi A3
- BMW 1-series
- Merc A-Class.

Does anyone have any experience of owning any of these who can offer some insights ?
Best models (want high spec, but sporty looks) ?
Best engines ?
Good residual value. ?
What you wish you had known before you bought it ? pitfalls etc ?
Any others that might fit the requirement that isn't on the list. ?

My heart says Merc 1.8 or 2.0 Sport or even AMG. Need someone to talk me out of it. !

thanks

lovegroova 08-07-2017 01:24 PM

I'd been looking at something like this and have ended up with a Golf GTi. Has all the toys as standard (unlike the others).

Have a look at one, at least.

noodels 08-07-2017 02:56 PM

Volvo have some interesting options. :coat:

ianl 08-07-2017 10:59 PM

We've been running a Golf GTE for the last 20 months or so and SWMBO likes it very much indeed - especially in electric mode which suits her ~24 mile daily commute well (we're averaging ~190mpg over the life of the car should you care about such things). She also like the fact you can set a/c or heating to pre-cool or warm the car before driving - either through a timer on the car or an app on your 'phone. This functionality can also be set to demist windows and mirrors....well you did say you liked toys!

Very nicely appointed and equipped, and decently quick in GTE mode though there is no getting away from the fact it's a heavy car.

Significantly less economical on long runs (S of France for example!) but still a nice comfy place to be.

andy2000 08-07-2017 11:38 PM

Looks like I'll be adding another German model to the test drive list then. Getting similar comments from others I have spoken to. Still not convinced I like the Golf styling though.

Did think about Swedish options for all of 30 seconds :lol:. Drive a 740 estate for a while back in the 80s.....that was enough for me.!

ianl 08-08-2017 12:22 AM

I'm guessing that there are a lot of Golf R's falling out of cheap lease deals at the mo?

Nick Graves 08-08-2017 04:17 AM

M-B A-Klasse reminds me of the Allegro VdP. Only less classy.

That ought to do it...

gaddafi 08-08-2017 04:23 AM

One series has limited rear legroom with normal sized adults in the front

might be easy to overlook on the test drive

ianl 08-08-2017 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves (Post 24319083)
M-B A-Klasse reminds me of the Allegro VdP. Only less classy.

That ought to do it...

100% agree Nick.

Before deciding on the Golf (another car I know you admire!), we test drove the M-B A Class and I thought the interior was shockingly nasty even in the supposedly higher spec variants.

Heinz '57 08-08-2017 05:33 AM

For space the Civic Tourer is hard to beat, I know, its a Jap but I have found it a superb load lugger for 2 adults,2 dogs and luggage to France.
But German is obviously a lot better, they never ever give trouble and if they do they are cheap to fix. They are also cars made for driving Gods!