Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Retired the S more or less permanently for this...

Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Retired the S more or less permanently for this...

Hi guys,

Bagged my self a new job and the S just wouldn't do for commuting and travelling to customers premises, i wanted to retire it for a toy/jolly when i want it.

My pre requisite was no more than £4k and something relatively quick and sport'ish and comfortable, having a looked at a few cars i had my eye on a Seat Cupra TDI and a Skoda Fabia VRS, i looked a black and silver one and the black one looked as if it had been ragged and didn't weather well with the black paint.

I got a silver diesel Fabia VRS and I'm over the moon with it!, it really has met and exceeded my expectations, maybe my expectations were low but its brilliant

I spend a little time doing a few modifications to it and have a few plans without spending mega money. I drove it for a good 3 hours through various scenarios then remapped it myself circa 175BHP 295 lb ft - is this some new record , the remap really transformed and made it quick which hasn't impinged on the MPG. I did have a good go with a fella in a A6 2.7TDI and left him quite convincingly and he was trying for sure, okay not a fast car but its the only encounter I've had with it remapped.

I then took it up to Alstom and Hartside cafe, were fortunately there was not a lot of cars on the road before it got dark. I pushed the car and was really impressed, okay there was some roll/oversteer but the handling was pretty good for what it is, oh and the brakes - they are shit i managed to get fade and the car can torque steer now so its not all good. The interior is a little drab but has all the basic toys. When booting it i was getting 40MPG and then it shot upto 57 on a long run.

Overall I'm very happy, will put an RARB and coilovers on and that's it, apparently this really helps them. The parts for the car are really cheap a lot cheaper than the S but thats to be expected.

Ignore the badge snobbery folks. One thing i will say is why do all the diesel owners on other forums always compare the performance to vtec's! LOL, i also think the most remapped diesels feel quick then they actually are.

And the S i did what i had and upgraded it guns to a 3" pulley, it made just over 450BHP and nearly 300 lb ft before it heat-soaked , I'm finalising a radiator I made off a Fiat Cincquento to help the heat soak but i think the core in the after cooler cant cope! - this is another story and will create a thread that is useful for the Comptech/SC guys. Oh the car snapped well frayed a belt too LOL was a stroke of luck I already had the fabia , the S needs a few rough edges sorted out and TLC.

You cant beat the magical feel of the S being at one with the car, once you get into the S you can tell most of cars feel boring to drive compared to it, the Fabia included.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Utility motors that can make you smile are good.

diesels will never be 'special' to me but i get on really well with our Golf GTD. For thrills its 3rd from the 3 though, i can't decide which is top because the M makes the S feel raw (good) but trounces it in every performance measure (bad).

i think that's a decent choice, lets see how you get on mpg wise
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

450hp nice job AJ !
Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM

My audi advant 2.0 has the revo remap 210hp 305 tq on coilovers the brakes are great ?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a few derv dailys now - the VAG ones were my favourite. My current one, a 61 plate astra, is a pile of dross. I think it's shameful that a newly released 1.7 diesel should only be capable of doing 45mpg. I got 50 out of my more powerful, larger passats 7 years ago.

Next stop for me will be a #35d or a 320CDi CLS for daily duties.

Renault have a load of electric cars parked outside our main entrance today. Why do elec cars have to look like toys?! Fingers crossed the release of the SLS E-Cell will start proper cars being electric...

Looks good AJ, I'm sure it'll serve you well.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A big pair of Halfords eyelashes on the front headlights will finish it off nicely!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevRanger
A big pair of Halfords eyelashes on the front headlights will finish it off nicely!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RevRanger
You've read my mind off to ram raid Halfords later
Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A chap who lived next to my grandma owned a black fabia. He had taken off the name badges, and put black elec tape over the skoda badges on the front, rear, wheels and steering wheel.

His face when I walked out and said "nice fabia - those new skodas are really good cars, aren't they?" was a picture!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Although the beater looks great for the purpose im interested only in the S really!

You cant just casually drop a "oh yeh the S is now at 450hp" without expanding on that! Must be the most powerful S2000SC about dyno figures wise! So what did you do? Did you finally man up and get a tiny pulley, huge injectors and made the clutch feel like another brake pedal?

Quick Reply: Retired the S more or less permanently for this...