Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

So what next...

Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by djchocice
This is something I'm considering one day. The price is a little potty though once you've bought the car. All in with the charger/wheels/tyres/brakes/suspension it must be on for £15000 on top of about £10000 for a decent GT86. Bet it's a right laugh to drive though, the GT86 has better steering and a slightly better chassis than the S. The issue is it's let down by the crummy tyres, overly long gearing and weirdly asthmatic but revvy engine. You'd have to chuck a good chunk of cash at one to turn it into the car it should have been from the factory IMO.
I prefer my S2000's steering, but the 86 similarly probably needs chassis braces to sort it out.

Probably a lighter set of wheels might improve its inadequate damping, too.

The AEM, license, remap are probably another bag. And a few quid for a wider throttle pedal to fix the spacing.

So you could have a very driveable car for very little money. The great thing is, it's how much do you wanna spend to make it your own?

I think the ND MX-5 probably could do with money throwing at it too, to make it the car it ought to be. Blame the CO^2 scam...

A lot less than a boring Porsche, and it's a lot more useable than a Lotus.

Price point for the new S2000 is likely to be considerably higher and like the 718, it'll probably be ruined by an exhaust snail. Unless it has a 48V motor to spool it up, but this is into conjecture.

People pay that money for a VAG pox box, and this is a genuine fun lightweight sports car.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:33 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Boxster S
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I prefer my S2000's steering, but the 86 similarly probably needs chassis braces to sort it out.

Probably a lighter set of wheels might improve its inadequate damping, too.

The AEM, license, remap are probably another bag. And a few quid for a wider throttle pedal to fix the spacing.

So you could have a very driveable car for very little money. The great thing is, it's how much do you wanna spend to make it your own?

I think the ND MX-5 probably could do with money throwing at it too, to make it the car it ought to be. Blame the CO^2 scam...

A lot less than a boring Porsche, and it's a lot more useable than a Lotus.

Price point for the new S2000 is likely to be considerably higher and like the 718, it'll probably be ruined by an exhaust snail. Unless it has a 48V motor to spool it up, but this is into conjecture.

People pay that money for a VAG pox box, and this is a genuine fun lightweight sports car.
Many good points. I found the pedals in the GT86 to be alright for H&T.

Ive not been out in the new ND MX5, but an RF with a super 200 kit, Ohlins and brembos would be a mega dual purpose car. Believe 0-60 is in the mid 5's with the ND weighing not much more than a ton.

Again though, with what I've listed that would be about £6000 on top of the 20 or so grand for an MX5.

Its a tough one replacing the S for a reasonable price. There isn't really anything that matches the involvement, usability and performance or upgrade in performance for a reasonable price.

An FK2 CTR is a close runner, but with the FK8 on the horizon it's folly to buy one now as no doubt prices will fall.

Z4M would be a shout. I very nearly chose one over an S because of that astonishing engine. However I think the last ones were 2008/2009 so maybe a bit old for the OP if he's intending to keep it for 10 years? Z4M doesn't quite have the raw feel of the S, but it feels just a set of decent coilovers and strategic chassis bracing away from being borderline perfection.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Z4m is a good shout. I've had my Coupe for 6 years and it's worth more than I paid for it. It's noisy, handling is fun but flawed, engine is immense. Overall it's a great drive in a similar vein to the S.

However, internally it's a bit dated. Great to drive and the shape hasn't dated (at least the coupe hasn't) but the toys such as satnav and Bluetooth are of a previous generation. As an investment (or at least a way of minimising depreciation) it would be a good choice, but there is a big difference between a 10 year old car and a 2 year old car.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:10 PM

Many good points. I found the pedals in the GT86 to be alright for H&T.

Ive not been out in the new ND MX5, but an RF with a super 200 kit, Ohlins and brembos would be a mega dual purpose car. Believe 0-60 is in the mid 5's with the ND weighing not much more than a ton.

Again though, with what I've listed that would be about £6000 on top of the 20 or so grand for an MX5.

Its a tough one replacing the S for a reasonable price. There isn't really anything that matches the involvement, usability and performance or upgrade in performance for a reasonable price.

An FK2 CTR is a close runner, but with the FK8 on the horizon it's folly to buy one now as no doubt prices will fall.

Z4M would be a shout. I very nearly chose one over an S because of that astonishing engine. However I think the last ones were 2008/2009 so maybe a bit old for the OP if he's intending to keep it for 10 years? Z4M doesn't quite have the raw feel of the S, but it feels just a set of decent coilovers and strategic chassis bracing away from being borderline perfection.
Depends how long one plans to keep the FK2 - it could appreciate one day.

But it's no S2000 replacement, whatever way you chop it out. I found an FN2 way slower than an FK2, but more fun, because you could try to kill it all the time. and it felt like it.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 AM

Z4M does feel it's age, but no more so than my S which is a 2007. The biggest issue with the Z4M, or in fact any quick BMW in recent times are the rock hard run-flat tyres. They ruin the ride IMO, but that's easily resolved.

Z4M I drove also had a CSL air box and AlphaN ECU trickery going on. Flat chat, coupled with the super sprint exhaust it had a soundtrack that no S could hope to match, sounded like an M1 Procar from the 70's.

FK2 is a belting car, really special and great fun to drive. The engine is a laugh, boosty and angry with all sorts of whoops and chatters from the turbo. The brakes are mega and the handling is superb. If I needed practicality, it would be my choice over some much more expensive metal.

FN2 i found flawed but really lovable. Reminded me of my old EK4 Vti. Terrible ride at normal speeds and pretty duff steering as well. Start thrashing it like the ginger step-child though, and it would handle really nicely, the steering would still be light but very precise and there was real composure there. No need to say about the K20. Dare I say it, but the K20 to me feels sharper and more responsive than the F20, but doesn't quite have the manic top end.

I think it will be a long time before FK2's appreciate. I can see them being like DC2 Teg's in years to come though. Limited supply, a great car and a real return to form for Honda and with lots of race pedigree (BTCC/WTCC & TCR.)
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Z4M does feel it's age, but no more so than my S which is a 2007. The biggest issue with the Z4M, or in fact any quick BMW in recent times are the rock hard run-flat tyres. They ruin the ride IMO, but that's easily resolved.

Z4M I drove also had a CSL air box and AlphaN ECU trickery going on. Flat chat, coupled with the super sprint exhaust it had a soundtrack that no S could hope to match, sounded like an M1 Procar from the 70's.
Z4M doesn't have run flat tires. The hard ride is down to the springs and dampers. Standard soundtrack is pretty good as is but its the engine that makes the car. It revs to over 8k and you get the best of it from 4k upwards so whilst you don't have to work as hard to keep the engine in the power band (because the power band is fundamentally larger with 100bhp extra) you get the best of it by using the revs.

The S doesn't feel its age because it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Z4M and is a more basic car. Ultimately, you're comparing a £30k car which started production in 1999 with a £50k car which started production in 2006. The Z has a lot more of the bells and whistles, but as already stated things like the satnav which is apparently desirable on a Z4M is from the ark.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 AM

FK2 is a belting car, really special and great fun to drive. The engine is a laugh, boosty and angry with all sorts of whoops and chatters from the turbo. The brakes are mega and the handling is superb. If I needed practicality, it would be my choice over some much more expensive metal.

FN2 i found flawed but really lovable. Reminded me of my old EK4 Vti. Terrible ride at normal speeds and pretty duff steering as well. Start thrashing it like the ginger step-child though, and it would handle really nicely, the steering would still be light but very precise and there was real composure there. No need to say about the K20. Dare I say it, but the K20 to me feels sharper and more responsive than the F20, but doesn't quite have the manic top end.

I think it will be a long time before FK2's appreciate. I can see them being like DC2 Teg's in years to come though. Limited supply, a great car and a real return to form for Honda and with lots of race pedigree (BTCC/WTCC & TCR.)
Actually, that FN2/EK4 comparo is apt - not a full CTR, but a kind of more habitable, tamer version. I'd not thought of it like that.

I found the FK2 too anodyne and I detest turbo lag.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Z4M doesn't have run flat tires. The hard ride is down to the springs and dampers. Standard soundtrack is pretty good as is but its the engine that makes the car. It revs to over 8k and you get the best of it from 4k upwards so whilst you don't have to work as hard to keep the engine in the power band (because the power band is fundamentally larger with 100bhp extra) you get the best of it by using the revs.

The S doesn't feel its age because it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Z4M and is a more basic car. Ultimately, you're comparing a £30k car which started production in 1999 with a £50k car which started production in 2006. The Z has a lot more of the bells and whistles, but as already stated things like the satnav which is apparently desirable on a Z4M is from the ark.
Ah, I was always under the impression that Z4M's had run flats, but now I am enlightened
Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by lower

Ah, I was always under the impression that Z4M's had run flats, but now I am enlightened.

The Z4M has a peach of an engine, coupled with the above bits it is the best sounding car I've driven.

I find the older nav and tech more intuitive and easy to use than the more modern stuff. However, I don't see the point of buying a car with nav. Just save the money and buy a Tom Tom/Garmin. It's a lot easier and a damn sight cheaper.

All this Z4 talk has got me pining after a Z4M now. I'm also wondering if the next Z4 will go back to being a sportscar again as opposed to the current soft GT thing. Not that the current Z4 is a bad car. In 35si spec it's a good bit rather soft and boring car. Shame as that turbo straight 6 is a cracking engine and sounds horny when you give it death.

Quick Reply: So what next...