Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Speeding for 840 miles and got away with it.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
it's classic Police nazi indoctrination in my eyes

to average 88mph he might not have driven faster than your average fast lane ford transit, he's just avoided traffic lights and and junctions. to average 80-90mph on the motorway is easy in the dead of night.

to speed is one thing, to drive recklessly entirely another in my humble opinion, i see people daily doing each mutually exclusively and could post a load of vids in support of that if i could be arsed. For me, doing 50 in a 40 need not be dangerous at all, but keeping in touch with your latest bit of snatch on tinder is.. or grindr, it's a free world

you should defo restrict your s2000 angry Rich, it has far too much power to drive at 30 everywhere..
Just because you can show vids of a load of wankers speeding doesn't make it safe or right, to speed is reckless, if you don't like that then move to Germany and do your speeding on the Autobahns, or at least keep it to the track, I do (generally).
"grindr, it's a free world " Who the hell told you that!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Who the hell told you that!
Not my BIL, he reckons big brother is watching..

I just don't believe speeding is a cardinal sin..

road racing is, like the shitbag in the 'Stang who killed the mother and child.. I think it's hard to consider anything but a very punative sentence in that case
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/jalopnik.com/florida-street-racer-was-doing-102-mph-before-killing-m-1826469234/amp

I think we just draw the line in different places
Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Yen maybe, but he would have twice as long to react to a car coming at him at half the speed wouldn't he.
The fast driver would have twice as long to react and to slow down, yes.

Which one does very quickly at the slightest sign of potential danger at speed, as most people aren't reckless, even if they are grossly exceeding an arbitrary limit. A few are, but they'd be reckless under any circumstances.

And that is why high-speed accidents are extremely rare in proportion to the overall numbers, even adjusting for the 70th-percentile.

It's still failure to obey a signal or not applying DC&A when turning right that are the biggest causes.

Hence speed limit absolutism is purely a religious belief.

But I realise you'll never modify your belief system; I might if the empirical evidence changes.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:47 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

This discussion is getting humorous in a forum for cars designed to exceed posted speed limits at will. Our cars will do over 80 mph in 3d gear and there are 3 more of them!

Speed limits are arbitrary and rarely have a relationship to safety. As if there's a definition of safety -- note this run was completed with out incident, so it was safe. Exceeding the arbitrary limit -- as every one of us does daily -- is not automatically unsafe. Quibbling about how much over the limit is still quibbling. Two (2) mph over is still over and by the definition some have postulated unsafe.

Here in in western Virginia (and West ByGod Virginia) the rural speed limit is approximately 55 mph but if you drive that speed in the mountain areas you're not gonna stay on the road in many places. 55 is way too fast around many of the curves -- but it remains the posted limit. Note Virginia doesn't spend any money on paved shoulders. There's the white line and then trees. So much for "safety." There are a few places going over the mountains with large yellow signs warning motorcyclists that they're approaching sections of the road especially treacherous for them. Marks on the pavement testify to that. But the speed limit doesn't change.

Now I'm curious. What's the posted speed limit in "the Dragon?"

-- Chuck
Old 06-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=Nick Graves;24470328]The fast driver would have twice as long to react and to slow down, yes.

Which one does very quickly at the slightest sign of potential danger at speed, as most people aren't reckless, even if they are grossly exceeding an arbitrary limit. A few are, but they'd be reckless under any circumstances.

And that is why high-speed accidents are extremely rare in proportion to the overall numbers, even adjusting for the 70th-percentile.

It's still failure to obey a signal or not applying DC&A when turning right that are the biggest causes.

Nick are you totally brain dead? "The fast driver would have twice as long to react and to slow down, yes." I'm not talking about the driver, I'm talking about the biker who finds him self in the path of the speeding driver.
I can't believe that people like you with such a cavalier attitude to speeding and a total disregard to the safety of other road users are allowed to remain on the road, you are an absolute disgrace, I hope your next speed "cop" results in a ban and helps keep the rest of us road users safe.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

I hope your next speed "cop" results in a ban and helps keep the rest of us road users safe.
Don't need a drivers license to drive so I'm not sure what a "ban" would do for a run like this.

-- Chuck
Old 06-03-2018, 01:50 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Rich

Speed limits are a compromise - most people get that. They reflect the fact that not all drivers are equal, in ability or interest, before we even get to intelligence. No speed limits would be anarchic.

However, the way the law is applied is generally poor, especially when viewed with other road traffic offences and road planning, so many speeders will not give speed limits a huge amount of respect

That doesn't make them serial killers or even potential serial killers
Old 06-03-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE=richmc;24470471]
Originally Posted by Nick Graves
The fast driver would have twice as long to react and to slow down, yes.

Nick are you totally brain dead? "The fast driver would have twice as long to react and to slow down, yes." I'm not talking about the driver, I'm talking about the biker who finds him self in the path of the speeding driver.
I can't believe that people like you with such a cavalier attitude to speeding and a total disregard to the safety of other road users are allowed to remain on the road, you are an absolute disgrace, I hope your next speed "cop" results in a ban and helps keep the rest of us road users safe.
You clearly don't have the free will or the wit to understand that with power comes responsibility; it is the responsibility of the fast driver to low right down if a vehicle appears and there is a chance that the rider might not have differentiated accurately the speed of approach. Whilst that is technically the biker's mistake, it is the responsibility of the fast driver to allow for that.

You have also jumped from an hypothetical to an ad hominem argument, which is logically baffling.

I therefore contend that it is you, sir, who is not exercising your considerable power with responsibility and thus is the absolute disgrace.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I think Gad has put it succintly, the law has to draw a line for the sake of the masses. Silly to begin throwing insults about I think.

I overtook a police Audi at c90mph in a 70 a few years ago, I then took a junction and noticed him follow so went down to the limit..

He pulled me, checked me and the car and bollocked me.

That is the right application in my opinion. I was nowhere near anyone else, the speed difference was c20mph, my car is very well looked after and is a high performance car with excellent brakes, good tyres etc

If I'd done the same in a transit with a loose load he should ticket me but it was not inherently dangerous despite being technically worthy of a fine and points.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my pennies worth, we've all taken the piss at one point or another (I know I have) he just did it for longer and is probably laughing his arse off at the sanctimonious brigade..

Quick Reply: Speeding for 840 miles and got away with it.