MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably a rusty old Tesla 3
Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

GWhiz.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't worry - there'll still be rusty Transits around.

And old Audis.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Hell yes, and that's all I'm worried about UF

Although solar can more than easily power this planet :shhhh:

Also interested how the government are going to tax the sun...
I think its been dropped now... but:
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/...-solar-pv.html
Old 10-20-2017, 06:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

No wonder the Catalonians want out...
Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Yep totally agree, but I think the transition will be very slow, and i'd take a punt that any ban on use of analogue cars on the roads may not be in our lifetime. I think the onus will be on the electric manufacturers to be able to allow for analogue cars on the roads, possibly by addition of some sort of box / sensors required on them. This is currently happening anyway - I use a Tesla taxi company and have seen how the systems work in predicting accidents by detecting other (non Tesla) cars. But yes, ultimately it will all be automated... and no bad thing for non motoring enthusiasts. No more traffic, no accidents.

I've spent many hours reading the subject... What fascinates me is that before long we won't own a car - it was soon be an app based driverless pod car on demand. But it's the implications of this which interest me, particularly landscape and property. So we don't need garages anymore... extra room in most people's houses then. Driveways? Nope don't need those, and if you think how many people have those. This will probably be turned into usable space or garden areas, further helping our little planet. Insurance companies? Down the pan no doubt. Although the argument on blame if an accident does happen is another interesting topic!

Ok there will always be an elite who want a gold encrusted faster version of their own driverless car, but the masses will be car on demand, and it will change things.
What about tradesmen with a ton of gear kept in their vans?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Man will arrive by taxi / pushbike and gear will arrive in a driverless electric van sent direct from some central warehouse. The only thing really missing is the will / infrastructure.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Man will arrive by taxi / pushbike and gear will arrive in a driverless electric van sent direct from some central warehouse. The only thing really missing is the will / infrastructure.
more likely there will be no repairs just replacements but again that only works for the rich

at some point you would also have to ban driven cars as it's those that compromise the machine network

I can't see that happening in the next 25 years with the exception of a few dedicated zones or if someone somewhere builds a new city from scratch

even then I think it will remain a sci-fi dream until we solve much more urgent issues
Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

i look at is at a balance of use - what % of the time are you using the vehicle?

a tradesman or whatever uses his van constantly, needs it immediately available etc. that won't change, they might rent that van but it will still be sole use as the effort of moving tools etc would be ridiculous.

for commuters it'll be more interesting, can you get an autonomous thing which doesnt waste time day in, day out? although you get the time back in the vehicle as you're not needed to drive

things have changed dramatically already, the majority of new car sales have been lease type arrangements for several years and that's definitely a 2000s phenomenon. and the speed of change is only accelerating. I'd love an autonomous commute option so long as it was fast and reliable. I cannot abide driving in commuter traffic so atm i ride a motorbike to work. my travel time varies by c5mins regardless of what the cars are doing whereas in the car it was 30 mins plus or minus 60 mins

waste of your life driving around here
Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i look at is at a balance of use - what % of the time are you using the vehicle?

a tradesman or whatever uses his van constantly, needs it immediately available etc. that won't change, they might rent that van but it will still be sole use as the effort of moving tools etc would be ridiculous.

for commuters it'll be more interesting, can you get an autonomous thing which doesnt waste time day in, day out? although you get the time back in the vehicle as you're not needed to drive

things have changed dramatically already, the majority of new car sales have been lease type arrangements for several years and that's definitely a 2000s phenomenon. and the speed of change is only accelerating. I'd love an autonomous commute option so long as it was fast and reliable. I cannot abide driving in commuter traffic so atm i ride a motorbike to work. my travel time varies by c5mins regardless of what the cars are doing whereas in the car it was 30 mins plus or minus 60 mins

waste of your life driving around here
so if everyone has access to their own pod, tradespeople still need vans and populations are increasing, how will 'autonomous transport' reduce congestion?

Quick Reply: Tipping point