Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I Bought

Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Today I Bought

As many of you know, my 208 GTi lease came to an end and it's been replaced with a Golf GTI with a DSG box and "Dynamic Chassis Control".

It's come with all the FREDs you could ask for (the aforementioned DCC), heated seats, door mirrors, radar cruise control dual zone climate, LED lights, the screen as a dashboard thing and so on.

I've had it for about a month now, and it's going very nicely indeed. It's not yet run in, so I've no real idea of it's performance but I've created an "Individual" driving mode which is basically everything on the slowest and softest settings. This makes the car a very comfortable place to waft about in the wet traffic-choked South East.

As I've bought the car and it's going to be kept outside, I've treated it to a detail and G-Techniq treatment by Lee at Extreme Detailing, who made it very shiny indeed:

Unfortunately, I made it all dirty by driving it. However, the rain overnight actually washed the car for me. I was able to clean this up just be pouring a jug of water over the affected area. Superb!:
Old 12-04-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

My NSX does that! I think it's something to do with the red paint.

And the fact that I top-up the wax nearly as much as I drive it.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I think its maybe just the latter

did you lease this LG and then pay for a primo detail? I like to think i’d treat a lease likea dirty slag and rag it through running in and never clean it but i know that’s BS

what is the run in? A guy here got a 140 and didnt bother. It didnt need early oil either
Old 12-04-2017, 02:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I think its maybe just the latter

did you lease this LG and then pay for a primo detail? I like to think i’d treat a lease likea dirty slag and rag it through running in and never clean it but i know that’s BS

what is the run in? A guy here got a 140 and didnt bother. It didnt need early oil either
Originally Posted by lovegroova
As I've bought the car and it's going to be kept outside, I've treated it to a detail and G-Techniq treatment by Lee at Extreme Detailing, who made it very shiny indeed:
I've bought it, not going to bother leasing again, it makes no sense for my limited usage and generally taking care of things. The Pug was immaculate when it was returned, it even still smelt of new car.

Probably going to keep this one for around 10 years and get something electric next time.

It's a thoroughly nice place to be and will do everything pretty well. I did accidentally hit the sport mode by accident and the car seemed to get very angry, not going to do that again

Run in is 1,000 km initial, and then build up until it 1,500km.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 AM

We’ve had a couple of the GTD golfs and, while slower than this i’d agree, they are very nice to live with and fairly subtle vs a Honda/Audi etc

I’m currently commuting on a bike and find myself drawn to the BM for the school run due to feeling like a cold slice of steak for 90% of the time.. so i’m appreciating the creature comforts more now than i ever have. Heated seats, clearing its screen quickly, they’re small but worthy

Like the long term planning
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 AM

We're becoming an old cunch of bunts; the only reason I'd consider a battery-box is so I can pre-warm it from the comfort of my own house...
Old 12-04-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
We're becoming an old cunch of bunts; the only reason I'd consider a battery-box is so I can pre-warm it from the comfort of my own house...
SWMBO has a Golf GTE and whilst VW CarNet (the App which allows you to talk to the car remotly) is a shocking thing, being able to pre warm / de ice windows has proved a very popular function!

I will admit to the inside of the car being a nice place to be, and wafting along in e-mode to be therapeutically calming.

So yes, mark me down as one of the old bunts.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 AM

If they still offered the narrow-angle six, I might be tempted...
Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 AM

The R32 was a heavy old beast wasnt it?
one round the corner from me, sounds loverley..
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 AM

IIRC, they were too small a car for such a heavy lump & used to bash their sumps a bit.

Golf XXVI (or whatever) is now huge.

Quick Reply: Today I Bought