Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I Bought

Old 03-07-2018, 05:29 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
We're becoming an old cunch of bunts...
I can attest to that. I got the S2000 out of hibernation last night - it started first time, albeit with a little reluctance (the battery had been disconnected for the winter) - and what a shock to the system it was. Bumpy,noisy, so low down and I had to get used to changing gears again, so much so hat I almost stalled it pulling up at a set of lights in 6th

The Golf is going very nicely, and is fantastically quiet, comfortable and easy to drive. I have tried sport mode a couple of times now, and it is a very different car. While the ride is a bit too harsh, the drivetrain combination is very nice indeed, way better in terms of lag than the Pug was. An individual setting of all the sport things turned on combined with "normal" or "comfort" suspension will make the car a superb country road machine.

I've only tried the flappy paddles once (in Milton Keynes which is an excellent place to do so because of all the roundabouts) and it was quite good fun, but would take a bit of getting used to.

All in all, it's proving to be everything I hoped it would.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Curious to know how long you hibernated and what steps you took. Here in not so sunny Norfolk I have just SORN'd mine
Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by arsie
Curious to know how long you hibernated and what steps you took. Here in not so sunny Norfolk I have just SORN'd mine
Hibernated from 29th October to 6th March. (Saves £166 of car tax).
In the garage, using a soft indoor cover to keep the spider poo off.
Disconnect the battery (garage has no power otherwise I'd use a battery conditioner)
Leave the handbrake off
Use some tyre savers/cradles I got from Senninha: https://www.manomano.co.uk/wheel-cho...oppers-1647545 I had to use a jack to get the car on the rear ones. note that you'll need 6 of them as each rear tyre requires two.
Over-inflate the tyres a bit (45psi or until my leg gives up from foot pumping) to help them keep shape.
Top off the fuel tank.

That's it.

Last edited by lovegroova; 03-08-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Happened to mine, too. I took the NSX...

Seems OK after a 'condition'.

So far, this winter has cost me an 86 battery (died whilst I was putting on winter tyres, so squeezing the Legend past it for a jump start was quite interesting) and fob batteries for 86 and Legend.

Always keep fobs in inner pocket when parked in sub-zero temperatures...
Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 AM
UK Moderator

Nick, I got myself one of these for the old S where battery disconnection was not a good idea due to the alarm.

Amazon Amazon

It works a treat for a jump start.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, I've considered one.

But I have so many batteries/chargers/conditioners, it's very rarely an issue. Other than leaving the conditioner on the NSX and forgetting to move it across the the S2000, which I did.

I think the potentially more problematical one was when standing in the middle of a farm yard in the freezing cold, wondering how the hell to disable the alarm, if one cannot coax a 3v cell back into life. Only the laws of thermodynamics have the answer to that one.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Hibernated from 29th October to 6th March. (Saves £166 of car tax).
In the garage, using a soft indoor cover to keep the spider poo off.
Disconnect the battery (garage has no power otherwise I'd use a battery conditioner)
Leave the handbrake off
Use some tyre savers/cradles I got from Senninha: https://www.manomano.co.uk/wheel-cho...oppers-1647545 I had to use a jack to get the car on the rear ones. note that you'll need 6 of them as each rear tyre requires two.
Over-inflate the tyres a bit (45psi or until my leg gives up from foot pumping) to help them keep shape.
Top off the fuel tank.

That's it.
Cheers LG except the tyre stuff that's what I do plus I leave the soft-top catches off. Same issue with spider poo

Trying to get to the point I tax for 6 months May to October inc except this year we will be away May/June in the motorhome so that's a conundrum ...
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by arsie
Cheers LG except the tyre stuff that's what I do plus I leave the soft-top catches off. Same issue with spider poo

Trying to get to the point I tax for 6 months May to October inc except this year we will be away May/June in the motorhome so that's a conundrum ...
I just tax it for the full year and SORN as appropriate - it's so easy these days, you can pretty much do it for a month at a time - the refund comes back pretty quickly , too.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I just tax it for the full year and SORN as appropriate - it's so easy these days, you can pretty much do it for a month at a time - the refund comes back pretty quickly , too.
I didn't know you could do that? I thought when the V11 reminder comes you must either tax the vehicle or SORN. If you tax for a year by what means do you turn off the tax? Likewise if you SORN (as I did) how do you restart the road tax? (I will have to do that at some point now).

Sorry to be such a numpty
Old 03-09-2018, 06:38 AM
UK Moderator

It's as simple as that.

Last March , I taxed the car for one year at a disgusting £500. I SORNed the car at the end of October, and they sent me a (500/12)*4 = £166.66 cheque on 6th November.

I've just bought another year's tax at £520, so if I were fortunate enough to be on holiday for May and June, I would cancel the tax at the end of April, and they'd send me a cheque for (520/12)*10 = £433.33.

When I returned from my journeying, I could retax the car from July, paying £520 again (assuming it hasn't gone up again, but you get the idea), and then get another cheque (520/12)*8 = £346.66 when SORNed again at the end of October.

That way, I'd only pay for tax when I was using the car, March, April, July, August, September & October, so 5/12ths of the annual total.
The following users liked this post:
arsie (03-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Today I Bought