Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Track Day kn0bheads

Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day kn0bheads

Fortunate enough for my mate to let me take his TVR Cerbera Out at Silverstone yesterday Only had 3 laps on the track, but GT6 was invaluable to knowing the track.

Had a massive briefing about NOT overtaking on corners and NOT overtaking on the right. Even had a light hearted 'can everyone raise their left hand please so we all know their are no excuses!!'

We were then told there was a 'Zero Strikes' policy meaning if you were caught, you'd be gone no mucking about.

I ended up reporting the yellow GT3 and that was a complete waste of time as nothing was done about it.

First one is me finishing my warm up lap. Clio infront and I'm too close to the corner (braking zone) to be over on the right:

https://youtu.be/vbqgicEMyLc?t=3m45s

The next one is of me staying behind a Caterham who has his left indicator flashing through Copse and into Maggots. Unless you pass at the end of copse, you really have to stay behind for Maggots/Becketts complex until you get to Hanger straight. The Porsche doesn't give a toss and I'm just about to pull left to go over the kerb not expecting anyone to pass because it's a corner...

https://youtu.be/vbqgicEMyLc?t=5m52s

Appauling marshalling and all they cared about was people drifting too much...
Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you were only pootling down Hangar Straight, what were you doing on the left hand side of the track in the first place. Surely you should have kept to the right and/or headed right when you saw the Porker in your mirror ... as I'm sure you did.

What was wrong with the silver Porker's pass (on the left) heading into Maggots and Becketts? I think you could have been closer to the Caterham through and out of Copse - you seemed to hang back meaning he didn't twig you wanted past - and then you might have had him before the Porker appeared.

Nice laps though (complete with tyre squeal apologies) and the flapping bonnet reminded me of my old Chimaera ...
Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine
If you were only pootling down Hangar Straight, what were you doing on the left hand side of the track in the first place. Surely you should have kept to the right and/or headed right when you saw the Porker in your mirror ... as I'm sure you did.
Because he was miles away. There becomes a point where you take your line to prevent people from doing stupid things. Regardless, on the right, on the brake, into a corner. So that's three things he did against the rules. God I wish I'd have filmed the briefing.

What was wrong with the silver Porker's pass (on the left) heading into Maggots and Becketts? I think you could have been closer to the Caterham through and out of Copse - you seemed to hang back meaning he didn't twig you wanted past - and then you might have had him before the Porker appeared.
Right so it's not my car and we are on the entrance into a corner. The camera does make it look quite far away, but we got clobbered with a lot of rubber so keeping a reasonable distance. I fail to see the complications of 'DON'T OVERTAKE ON CORNERS'. I was just about to sweep left - you know because I'm on a corner.

Nice laps though (complete with tyre squeal apologies) and the flapping bonnet reminded me of my old Chimaera ...
Thanks, but very difficult driving someone elses car with them sitting next to you. Only gave it half throttle and kept it under 6krpm (barring getting past the 350Z).
Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

It did make me think of this:

[attachment=75765:wall.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Track Day kn0bheads-wall.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 05:09 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

First thing I'd say from watching the yellow porker, as that you were going very slowly on the racing line. You did well at keeping right other times but (and whilst there's no excuse for breaking the rules) staying left on the racing line down Hanger straight and expecting a GT3 to brake to your speed would be very frustrating. If you had kept right, you had loads of time (1/2 the straight) to get back over to the left for Stowe. Also it's not like he did you near the corner. I wouldn't have batted an eyelid tbh.

The silver Porker was possibly a bit naughty, but I'd imagine he thought you were pulled to the right and slowing down behind the Caterham. He went past fairly slowly and decent gap, but letting the red mist descend and chasing the guy probably wasn't good for the owners tyres

Neither would have bothered me. You'd have had heart failure at some things I've seen, but unless it was a genuine near miss I don't tend to get excited. Saying 'I'm going to punch him' come on Ron, don't be a fanny

PS - odd line into to Luffield!

PPS - thats the GP circuit, listen harder in the briefing
Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 AM

The problem I have is that rules are rules and I'd have been backing off in good time, but it seems I should just become a c0ck and do whatever the hell I want because it's deemed acceptable?

I think my main problem was taht I was tutoring a novice throughout the day. I'd been telling him how everyone obeys the rules and there is nout to be afraid of. This lot made me look like a complete tw4t.

If they'd say in the briefing 'We expect you to look out for other drivers at all times because anything goes' I'd be fine with that and I'd have no problem. But they don't - they put on this show about safety and rules when in reality they don't care.

However, you can guarantee that if I did something like that I'd be off. Yeah, I wasn't going to punch him and I did say I was joking!

When I asked the Porsche driver (Who'd spent two hours before going out polishing his car, checking his tyre pressures, adjusting his front lip, rear wing, checking his brake temps) why he'd done that, he said he didn't even realise he had. So he's an ignorant f ucker then...

Yeah the line into luffield

I'd spent a lot of time on the sim with that corner because brooklands is a spiral and not rounded.

As such, the least time taken was to use the initial corner as part of the braking zone. Yes, you'd lose a bit of time not taking an optimal line into Luffield, but net time was better and more importantly, it'd didn't compromise you exit of Luffield so you weren't losing time down to Woodcote. Everyone else was taking a wide line to capitalise on their exit, but since the exit run was so tiny, it was pointless. The sim was excellent for showing this too and it translated very well.

Incidentally it was teh first time I have had chance to compare GT6 to real life. If you throw speeds/car dynamic out of the window for a moment, the circuit knowledge alone is worth it although it didn't pick up the bump that cause me to lock up on the way into Vale
Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have seen those sort of things at pretty much every trackday i have been too. If you get held up by another car some people behind you just wont wait and push their way through. I often find its the people who bring full on race cars and they probably forget that its not competitive racing. Alot of the time they treat the trackdays as cheap testing days.

You would of probably found that if you had the chance to drive the car flat out then you miss out on all the dickheads! When i first started and i was very slow i was always getting pissed off with people not giving me time and space but now during a sessions i wont get overtaken too much.

The other issue is the ability of drivers. The nissan 350z at the 9 minute mark shows what can happen when you have people who know what they are doing and people who are newbs. Dont get me wrong everyone has to learn but as being a recent novice i learnt to do a few novice sessions before going to full open pitlane sessions. I felt abit sorry for you driving someone elses car with them still in it. I let my brother drive my s2000 and it was only when i saw the gopro footage afterwards that i saw he spent quite alot of the lap going sideways lol, if i had of been in the car i would of been bricking it!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:31 PM

No problem with race cars being there, but they were by far the most aggressive.

Well done you have a racing license, but you have still paid EXACTLY the same as everyone else and today it means d1ck.

Yes normally I don't get overtaken much, but that is besides the point. When I do my overtaking I'm looking to flat out obey the rules and leave nothing to chance.

Is it frustrating? No, unless you're caught behind someone who refuses to let you past on the straights.

As for novices, they absolutely have a right to be at an open pit lane day.

Apart from the one I was sitting in with in his M3, there was an extremely nice fellow who had his birthday the day before and was at his first ever track day. We came upon him a few times out on track and he had no problem in moving over, no problem in overtaking and no problem in driving around the track at a reasonable rate of speed.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:40 AM

i thought a tvr would sound better some nice pops on the over run though
Old 03-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

ATEOTD.. its all testosterone fuelled decisions, made at the time by cocky arsed idiots. Unfortunately now, proper track days can be spoilt by bird brains getting carried away thinking it's a big race. And alot of problems can start when someone is lapping the same speed as you. So - drop back and just let them get on with it? Someone has to give way.
We, as men, feel threatened when we feel beaten.

Quick Reply: Track Day kn0bheads